Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good news and bad news.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Good news - Maggie Thatcher taken to hospital.

Bad news - she is likely to be released tomorrow.

I reckon the tests are to see if she has a heart.

"LONDON, England (CNN) -- Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has been hospitalized after falling ill Wednesday afternoon, her political party said.

She would be hospitalized overnight at London's Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where tests were being carried out, Conservative Party sources told CNN. The sources said she was expected to go home Thursday.

Thatcher, now 80, retired from public life in 2002 after suffering a stroke. She has suffered a number of minor strokes since then and has appeared frail in occasional public appearances.

Dubbed the "Iron Lady," she came to power in 1979 and led Britain until 1990, when the Conservatives dumped her as their leader in favor of John Major.

She was Britain's first female prime minister and the only British leader to win three terms in the 20th century.

She was named Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven after leaving office."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm glad you find something good about someone's illness :rolleyes:

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Maggie is a disease.

thatcher_grave.jpg

She's about the only one I would feel like that about. But I can't think of anything good to say about the witch. I have no doubt that her cavalier attitude to making people unemployed led to suicides so, no, I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Once again I have to say that there weren't any mass suicides amongst the miners in the north of England or the steelworkers either.

I know her politics weren't popular but the mass hysteria all the southerners seem to have about her is way out of proportion.

I didn't like her politics but I am eternally grateful for the Falklands (because of relatives and friends out there)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yorkie said:

I didn't like her politics but I am eternally grateful for the Falklands (because of relatives and friends out there)

I have no time for Thatcher, she cynically started a war as a last gasp attempt to win an election, and the sinking of The Belgrano was an embarrasment for this nation.

If the Falklands had been handed over peacefully your friends and relatives would have been unaffected. Currently the Falklands costs the taxpayer wasted millions every month.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
El Presidente said:
I have no time for Thatcher, she cynically started a war as a last gasp attempt to win an election, and the sinking of The Belgrano was an embarrasment for this nation.

If the Falklands had been handed over peacefully your friends and relatives would have been unaffected. Currently the Falklands costs the taxpayer wasted millions every month.
Damn f***ing straight. She sank the Belgrano on its way out of UK waters and outside the 200 mile exclusion zone. 200 dead. Disgraceful.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Falklands = off shore oil fields.....nothing more

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
El Presidente said:

Handed over to whom?
The Falklands have NEVER belonged to Argentina in the whole of their history.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Simster said:
Damn f***ing straight. She sank the Belgrano on its way out of UK waters and outside the 200 mile exclusion zone. 200 dead. Disgraceful.

Do you really believe she personnaly gave the order to push the button then?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
She blew hot and cold. Did some good deeds for Britain, but also had many pitfalls. Certainly I wouldnt wish Ill health on her.

One plus side is that she didnt give into Terrorists, even though her life was at stake. Can you say the same for Bliar? (on purpose 1066!)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Simster said:

Good wind up

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
El Presidente said:

Would have been very different for the faulklands to be handed over peacefully seeing as they argies had invaded it. They also had plenty of warning that anyone in the exclusion zone would be shot at and still entered.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Coming from a village where the majority of workers were in either the steel mills or the mines at the time (late 70's/ early 80,s) & being able to recall the times clearly, I can state that those laid off and made unemployed by and large did not run for the carving knife or rope. They were made of sterner stuff and knew that they would leave behind families that then had more problems. Most would have said or do say that suicide is the cowards way out.

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
El Presidente said:

Hm. I can see your tongue firmly in your cheek even from here. I imagine she called up the Santa Fe with a propostion - "do me a favour, invade so I can send down loads of blokes to kick your arses and win an election".

The Belgrano was a victory for British weapons manufacture and training. Wrong place, wrong time for the Argentines. If you were not there, or you have not had access to the information, then you have no idea what you are talking about. Don't believe the selective truth that was bandied about on the back of Dalyell - if you have never seen the transcripts or heard the tapes, then you are working from a point of conjecture.

Last I heard, the Falklands were firmly in the camp of wanting to stay British following their recent elections, which is a bonus considering their importance for fuel reserves and strategic location. When they were invaded (not liberated), they wanted to be freed, and had no intention of being handed over quietly. Check the history of how they immediately formed a local "home defence" with the intention of sabotaging the Argentine forces and supplies.

Next.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
yorkie, it was a pleasure to help your relatives. they are winding you up :nono:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Simster said:

368 died actually:nono: Outside the exclusion zone and heading away from it.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Exactly HampshireSeagulls, one of our friends worked for the British Government out in Port Stanley and was interned by the Argentinians there.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
hampden park said:
yorkie, it was a pleasure to help your relatives. they are winding you up :nono:

I realise that but there are people who still believe this rubbish.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Best PM in my lifetime and much more honest than the current bunch of tossers "running" the country.

I guess a lot of men can't yet cope with the idea of a woman being the best leader (or best at anything).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here