Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonzalo Jara Reyes

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Would rather see him in full back instead of Calde this would be my team of choice

(Brezovan) ? Time to try Gonzales ?

Reyes
Greer
Dunk
Mattock

Bridcutt

Buckley
Sparrow
Vicente

Vokes
CMS

Posted by Shoreham Beach Seagull

No chance in a million years would Poyet start with 2 strikers and 2 wingers (I do agree with the team you put though
I only see one winger in the 'BS' selection, but perhaps you are including Vicente Rodriguez who I consider to be very much more than just a winger !

PS. tonight's Chicken and Ham was the best ever !

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk had probably his worst game ever for us this evening. His passing was awful his all round defending and tackling was poor and for a man of his height he cannot head a ball for toffee but then neither can Greer, which is why we desperately need El Abd to play in the centre of defence with either Greer or Dunk. One day perhaps Dunk will be a better player but at the moment he is not and is a liability.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
I was one who thought Reyes in midfield could be good and Gus was only going to find out by trying it, it did not work Reyes could not stop drifting over into Caldorons space which worked for the first rtten mins but Millwall just covered the right side with another player and it got so crowded all they did was get in each others way

it was the miss placed passes from every one but the worst was Dunk

Millwall to be fair looked ok liked their number 20 very good player their number 6 was huge guy but good on the ball and I thought Henderson was good

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bloody hell. Typical NSC over reaction from some!

Dunk is not a liability. He simply had a bad game. Everyone is entitled to that every know and again, even the world's greatest players!

Reyes also can't be written off in midfield after just one game. He played successfully there all season for the WBA side that got promoted to the Premier League. Again perhaps just an off night or the tactics didn't suit him.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Dunk is not a liability. He simply had a bad game. Everyone is entitled to that every know and again, even the world's greatest players!

Reyes also can't be written off in midfield after just one game. He played successfully there all season for the WBA side that got promoted to the Premier League. Again perhaps just an off night or the tactics didn't suit him.

Isn't it just.

Football players in bad game shocker! Hold the back page!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Reyes was not the problem, the formation was.
The midfield three were simply out numbered and more often than not left with no options to pass to. I think Reyes has the versatility that means he can play a number of roles including part of a 4 man midfield.
Oh and that backheel was bloody amazing!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

Lets get someting straight here, I are not slating or critising dunk in anyway, the guy is a very very good player with bags of talent. I was just pointing out that he was poor last tonight, thats all, still love the guy and still want him to be part of the team, but even he would admit that he was so far of the pace tonight in every single aspect of his game, I am not sure if he looked fit and over his illness and if there was doubt he should not have started. but I have no worries with him and fully expect him to be up to his usual standard on Sunday.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The midfield three were simply out numbered and more often than not left with no options to pass to. I think Reyes has the versatility that means he can play a number of roles including part of a 4 man midfield.
Oh and that backheel was bloody amazing!

I agree Gus got it wrong. The back 4 looked and sounded solid saturday, it should have been maintained for last night as its far far more important than Sundays match. If he was short of midfielders, JFC should have come into midfield, not Reyes. but then maybe Gus sees someting in him in training that we dont get. I donno no, was just a very weird night. glad we ended up with a point

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me Reyes was the worst player in the team last night, he didn't seem to want to do any running and far too many misplaced passes. Stick him back in defence please Gus.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not sure it's entirely fair (just yet) to bang nails into the coffin marked "Jara Reyes - Defensive Midfielder" when the only chance he's had to prove himself is alongside 2 other DMs in Navs & Bridders. I'd have liked to see him playing alongside Bridcutt with a few more options going forward than either lump it up front or sideways to Calderon. Not defending his performance at all (apart from the backheel nutmeg) - just saying that it's hard to judge totally in that context...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I would still hope to see him at DM again as I think that is his best position. Last night didn't work as we had 3 DM's and it was a case of too many cooks. Think he's a very similar player to Bridcutt but with perhaps a little bit more of an attacking verve in his locker.

Where was JFC? He would have been perfect to play instead of one of Bridcutt, Navarro and Reyes

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I completely agree with you, the formation was a complete mistake from Gus and it was never going to work. We had 3 players very narrow in the centre with Millwall doing pretty much the same thing, there was no space to pass the ball through so they lumped it up to Henderson who knocked it down and got others involved. They looked a better team on the night, but only because we played to their strengths. I hope we never have to see 3 holding midfielders in a home game again. It was never going to work, but for saying that, we drew 2-2 and had good chances in the first half. If we had scored first, we would have won. We're such a good team, we can play with a complete pudding of a formation, with players not playing well and getting in each others way, and STILL we were unlucky not to win.

As for Lewis Dunk, I didn't think he was that bad, and some of the criticism of him is just bizarre.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I completely agree with you, the formation was a complete mistake from Gus and it was never going to work. We had 3 players very narrow in the centre with Millwall doing pretty much the same thing, there was no space to pass the ball through so they lumped it up to Henderson who knocked it down and got others involved. They looked a better team on the night, but only because we played to their strengths. I hope we never have to see 3 holding midfielders in a home game again. It was never going to work, but for saying that, we drew 2-2 and had good chances in the first half. If we had scored first, we would have won. We're such a good team, we can play with a complete pudding of a formation, with players not playing well and getting in each others way, and STILL we were unlucky not to win.

As for Lewis Dunk, I didn't think he was that bad, and some of the criticism of him is just bizarre.

He was! Never seen so many misplaced passes from him. Doesnt make him a bad player though just had bad night, sorry, really bad night!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He was! Never seen so many misplaced passes from him. Doesnt make him a bad player though just had bad night, sorry, really bad night!

A lot of people seem to share that opinion, I have to say I didn't really notice. Criticising him for a bad performance is fair enough though, they all have them. What I find bizarre is people who talk like he was just showing what have always been his faults... It's not as if he's been dire all season, he's been fantastic for us overall. Henderson is a very experienced and clever Championship forward, who has given much more experienced defences more problems than he gave us last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here