Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonzalez

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Telscombe Cliffs
To be fair I think people on here have been a bit harsh, there was a bit of sarcasm directed at him early on which hardly helps especially after going a goal down so early on.

He was bound to have been nervous as this is was his first time in the first team and ages since any meaningful football.

Ok he could have done better with the first goal but looked pretty much ok after that to me.

Anyone here remember Kuipers first game for us ? he was taken off at half time for his distribution and went on to do ok for us.....

Anyhow once he had the measure of the pitch his kicking improved second half and led to a few openings down the left side.

You gotta remember we have 4 keepers here if you include the development squad, if your not playing in the first team your hardly getting any match practice.

It's the hardest position on the pitch and it's easy to pick holes in a keepers performance as they are so exposed and the smallest mistake can lead to a goal.

People need to wise up a bit and give the bloke a chance before writing him off and I think that deserves more than 1 game of 90 minutes.

tooting2

Mar 26, 2011
lancing
the keepers must have cost us at least 10 points this season in mistakes thought gonzo was the weakest of the lot nightmare home debut

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
His first two touches did not inspire confidence and his third touch involved him picking the ball out of the net - I thought it was shocking keeping and said as much before the goal went in.
This might be a bit harsh but I don't get why he would be nervous 1) its his job 2) He plays for a Premiership club, it wasn't like he was facing Messi or Ronaldo.

Having said that, I guess you can say that he improved as the game went on because he didn't let in any more goals and I think he should be given another game. If he does get another game, then hopefully there won't be sarcastic cheering when does something right.

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
No worse than Brez and still better than Ankergren.

Free kick positioning was poor but given how poor we were a goal would've come at some point. I did like his urgency when distributing though. He may not have got it right every time but god damn it, it was refreshing not to wait the mandatory 10 seconds it took Brez to kick a ball. He does like playing it short to the left-back though and Watford clocked onto that quite quickly.

Overall wouldn't mind who starts between him and Brez.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
His first two touches did not inspire confidence and his third touch involved him picking the ball out of the net - I thought it was shocking keeping and said as much before the goal went in.
This might be a bit harsh but I don't get why he would be nervous 1) its his job 2) He plays for a Premiership club, it wasn't like he was facing Messi or Ronaldo.

Having said that, I guess you can say that he improved as the game went on because he didn't let in any more goals and I think he should be given another game. If he does get another game, then hopefully there won't be sarcastic cheering when does something right.

you obviously dont have a clue about goalkeeping so shouldnt bother commenting, what a stupid post......

D

Deleted member 22389

I think he has clear instructions from Gus to lay the ball out to defenders before doing anything else. I think we need to give Gonzalez time. Feel sorry for the bloke because he seemed like a bundle of nerves. I think anyone would be a bundle of nerves playing their first match for a team in front of 19k supporters.

It can't of helped hearing people saying kick it every time he got the ball and must have been even worse for him after that free kick went in.

I hope he gets some decent support on Saturday because his confidence level must be rock bottom at the moment.

It's been mentioned time and time again from the players about the atmosphere and how much it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks like the idiots who gave him stick on Tuesday are also posting on this thread. Some of the comments after one performance are a disgrace although I am not really surprised as we have a growing group on here who having nothing good to say about most of the players.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Disgusted by the behaviour of North Stand dicks jeering him and giving him the woooooooooo treatment before he took a goal kick... No wonder no-one else joins in with your shit songs.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Was ashamed by my fellow fans reactions towards a player making his debut, obviously nervous. Disgraceful, we really do not deserve what we have, we seem to be turning into some spoilt brats....

This

The guy showed potential. i WOULD GIVE HIM THE TWO REMAINING GAMES TO prove himself. Then we can judge better.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

1) Agreed. It is his job but he's playing to earn a further career.
2) He was released by City after zero apps. Hardly him playing for a Prem club.

In two-odd months he'll be out of contract and looking for a club unless he impresses here. Thats quite a lot of pressure on 3 appearances.

If our fans booed and sarcastically applauded him then its something I cannot and never will agree with.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
you obviously dont have a clue about goalkeeping so shouldnt bother commenting, what a stupid post......

Maybe I don't but I am entitled to my opinion. What was your take on his appearance then?

1) Agreed. It is his job but he's playing to earn a further career.
2) He was released by City after zero apps. Hardly him playing for a Prem club.
In two-odd months he'll be out of contract and looking for a club unless he impresses here. Thats quite a lot of pressure on 3 appearances.

If our fans booed and sarcastically applauded him then its something I cannot and never will agree with.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that he didn't play for City, so that would explain why he was so nervous.

If Gus does give him another go and he still shows signs of nerves, then I shall be more understanding / patient.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't care what anyone says that hit Mackail-Smith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here