Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonzalez - THAT free kick

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Before today's game, when I saw the team news on Twitter with Gonzalez starting, I was actually quite happy.
Others around me, however, were already slating him. I thought he actually had a good game today, solid, caught everything, etc.

Before you all scream FIXTURES, the purpose of this post is to show you a video, one that might change your opinion of that free kick in the Watford game.
It's been posted on here before, but I don't think many people have seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVfScMTg4lQ

Thoughts? I reckon it looks like the free kick dipped, bent and was wind-assisted. No chance of saving it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Even if it was a horrific mistake, I would only deem it a problem if he was doing it every game or every other game. All keepers make mistakes, all players make mistakes. To make an impression of a keeper based on one action is just silly.

Exactly. It was a huge error of judgement, but it was made on his debut, and he done fine after a shaky first half.

Looked very assured today, although didnt have that much to do, but handling was first rate, as was distribution

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it looked at the time that he was out of position, when really he had just reacted too soon to the initial flight of the ball - and came across too far, too early. 50/50 poor keeping/fluky brilliant free kick (i bet Sean Murray doesnt do that normally)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He misread the flight of the ball. It happens.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Before today's game, when I saw the team news on Twitter with Gonzalez starting, I was actually quite happy.
Others around me, however, were already slating him. I thought he actually had a good game today, solid, caught everything, etc.

Before you all scream FIXTURES, the purpose of this post is to show you a video, one that might change your opinion of that free kick in the Watford game.

Thoughts? I reckon it looks like the free kick dipped, bent and was wind-assisted. No chance of saving it.

Wind!? I'm pretty sure there was barely any wind at the AMEX during THAT free-kick. If it was at Withdean then fair enough.

His positioning in that free-kick was very poor, however, he played well today.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Having seen it not a bit deflated after the result, it had a wicked late curve on it, possible from Craigs head. Not as bad a mistake as first realized.

Plus he looks very very solid apart from an awful first 20 minutes.

Could he be THE keeper we need? Not enough of him has been seen to decide that.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Just seen the interview with him on player. Seems like a very level headed intelligent bloke. I hope he gets another chance, the north stand need to give him another chance after the Watford game.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

Good job seeing it on twitter, cos yet another ground where announcing anything to do with our team/subs was non existent.

I think we give visiting teams too much at the amex. Let's not announce their teams/subs/goal scorers/attendance.

Cos lets face they can't/won't announce ours. And I could not give a shit who scored for them.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Quite like the idea if that. Make them irrelevance. Dot care who we're playing, how many came, who came off or who came on. Think it would make the Amex Far more intimidating.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Think itll come down to wages. If he deosnt want to much I think I would keep Gonzo in favour of casper and Brez BUT doesnt alter the fact we need a better first team keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here