Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonzalez - THAT free kick

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
If he doesn't move it hits him smack in the face....

Oh, another one who's never played in goal.

That's a good idea for keepers. Don't bother moving, just in case the ball bends towards you.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
His mistake was moving to his left before the kick was taken - leaving him off balance and having too much work to do to get to the ball. If he hadn't moved, he probably would have saved it BUT you see a lot of top flight keepers making this mistake every so often. Cudicini made exactly the same mistake against Chelsea the other day. As someone else has said, if he did it every game it would be a problem but I think from what I saw in the rest of the Watford game (wasn't there yesterday), his general craft, handling, distribution etc. was pretty good and I felt more comfortable with him in goal than I do with Brez or Casper.

Hard to know whether he could be a great first-choice on the little evidence we have so but, from what I've seen, I'd have him ahead of the other keepers we have at the moment.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
His mistake was moving to his left before the kick was taken

Incorrect. The ball had already been struck before he moved his feet.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I thought he played well yesterday, and certainly looked to be the most reliable of our three keepers. He should be kept as understudy to our new first choice keeper, with the other two shipped out. Those giving him stick at The AMEX need to take a good look at themselves.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not going to judge him yet.

It wasn't as bad as Brez's mistake at Wycombe for a start! It was his debut, 20,000 people, and it moved a fair bit. Even top level keepers move the wrong way when defending a free kick sometimes.

As for goalkeepers in general, I would agree it would be good to get in a new first choice keeper. However as back ups, Brez and Casper are fine by me. They've both shown they can do okay at this level, even if they're not top 6 quality.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was a truly, genuinely rubbish piece of goalkeeperage.

Thats the start and end of it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oh, another one who's never played in goal.

That's a good idea for keepers. Don't bother moving, just in case the ball bends towards you.

I got paid to play the beautiful game maybe because I could tell by the way a ball is struck which way it will bend unlike you who by saying 'just in case' cannot it seems...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Leaving aside the freekick for a second I'm a bit BEMUSED to see some people seeing he played ok except for that. Every cross he was nowhere to be seen and looked nervous with the ball at his feet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here