Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gone With The Wind - GONE!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gone With The Wind - GONE!

Since Hattie McDaniel was the first African-American to win an Oscar (Best Supporting Actress) for her performance as Mammy, one hopes the decision would be overturned.

Shamefully, there was racial segregation at the Academy Awards ceremony and she had to sit away from the rest of the cast at a separate table at the back of the hall.

That's far more offensive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you can this is hypocritical in its own right

Sorry, you've lost me there.

Gone with the Wind has only been taken down temporarily by one outlet. A storm in a teacup.

HBO Max temporarily removes Gone With the Wind to add ‘discussion of its historical context’
The film, which is set on a plantation after the Civil War and considered a classic of American cinema, was quietly removed from the streaming service due to its depictions of ethnic and racial prejudices, leading some to accuse the company of censoring content. A HBO Max spokesperson said Gone With the Wind will return soon, but it will include “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
The article clearly states that this is temporary, and that it would be reinstated accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed”.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

This.
If society doesn't learn from mistakes, It is destined to repeat them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But they're not banning them? What's the issue with explaining the context around certain films?

I agree

There is a need to Re-Master them with a warning that the content is depicted from a different Era - They already do this on the films shown on ''Talking Movies Chanel''

By sensationalising it in a News Article it is an attempt to ridicule the ongoing struggle. These films do depict Life back then. There was a certain compliance to Racism although not much of it was Willing Compliance. They are not un-factual. Film Makers were hampered by the Sensors in what they could depict.

It is 100% right to take them away and encrypt them with Warning Messages. Films are personal choices. We can choose to watch or not. They are not the same as Public Statues where peoples choice of whether to view them of not.

I find the language in that particular film very uncomfortable but Racism is a backdrop to what was essentially a Hollywood Love Story film. Although a terribly outdated one.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Just watched the brilliant 'Trading Places' this afternoon - there's no way that would be shown now with Dan Aykrord 'blacking up' on the train near the end, and all the insinuations regarding Eddie Murphy's character throughout the film. Still great movie though.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Just watched the brilliant 'Trading Places' this afternoon - there's no way that would be shown now with Dan Aykrord 'blacking up' on the train near the end, and all the insinuations regarding Eddie Murphy's character throughout the film. Still great movie though.

Think it was on at Christmas (winterval) it’s a great film. Be shame if that is lost to humourless droids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
The world's looking more and more like Orwell's "1984" to me where the past is constantly being rewritten to fit in with the orthodoxy of the present.

How about just concentrating on sorting out the present with an eye to improving the future rather than wasting so much time on tut-tutting about the past.....!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Does that mean Django Unchained won't be on at Christmas?

Or Blazing Saddles?

Blazing Saddles should be safe as it was an equal opportunity offender, everybody came under the hammer. Black people, Nazis, Chinese not forgetting the Irish. That was the whole point Mel Brooks was making, how ridiculous racism is, and defusing it with humour.

And the black guy always ran rings around his white opponents.

To an extent some censorship already exists for this movie. I've seen it on some channels (AMC was one I think ) and it is heavily edited around the N word.

It's still one of the best comedies ever released .

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If anyone cannot work out the difference between the history and the Hollywood gloss of decades past, they must be flipping stupid..... oh right, we're talking of thd present crowd of mob activists ...ok .

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
If anyone cannot work out the difference between the history and the Hollywood gloss of decades past, they must be flipping stupid..... oh right, we're talking of thd present crowd of mob activists ...ok .

It’s reach is wider than decades past and across all film genres unfortunately, some less subtle than others, the Taken trilogy with Liam Neeson with its Albanian gangs and Arab stereotypes, almost any ‘recent’ American military film - Black Hawk Down, American Sniper, Lone Survivor, The Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty portraying the white American crusader against non-caucasian maniacal stereotypes, The Deer Hunter’s portrayal of North Vietnamese soldiers as swivel-eyed blood thirsty loons, many of which we’ve enjoyed watching, but that penetrate some people’s psyche on an insidious level, i.e. racist idiots.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can you still watch Zulu?

Can't see that one lasting much longer.....

I'm saying it mostly tongue in cheek if I say the only film you'll be able to watch soon is "In the Heat of the Night"

They call me Mr Tibbs!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
C6eC0zLWQAA8eCB.jpg

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just had a quick check to see if Soul Man was still on Netflix.
Saw it on there a year or so ago and was amazed that something so dated and frankly, ****ing awful, would have been put on the platform.

Luckily that has already been removed.. Possibly not because of BLM though.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Blazing Saddles should be safe as it was an equal opportunity offender, everybody came under the hammer. Black people, Nazis, Chinese not forgetting the Irish. That was the whole point Mel Brooks was making, how ridiculous racism is, and defusing it with humour.

After reading your post, this immediately came to mind.

Very good to see Samuel L Jackson bringing some sanity with the 'Time Out!' at the end.

He's done a lot since being a guest at the Albion v Crewe match at Withdean.

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?83403-Samuel-L-Jackson-at-Withdean

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here