Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Gone With The Wind - GONE!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In your opinion, will any of the other films and TV mentioned here be accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”?

Will it be deemed illegal to watch a DVD without such explanation in the future?

Yes, and you'll be thrown in jail if you don't check your privilege before pressing play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In your opinion, will any of the other films and TV mentioned here be accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”?

Will it be deemed illegal to watch a DVD without such explanation in the future?
To the first question:
Some of them might be, is that an issue?
To the second: I don't think that's a serious question

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
HBO responded with a statement, which said: “These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.”

The streaming service added that the film would return to the platform accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed.

So, again not banned or censorship

But you could say that about so so many films....

You can't just pick out one film and say "that's racist" - if open to interpretation you could ban half the films in history

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But you could say that about so so many films....

You can't just pick out one film and say "that's racist" - if open to interpretation you could ban half the films in history
But they're not banning them? What's the issue with explaining the context around certain films?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Does that mean Django Unchained won't be on at Christmas?

Or Blazing Saddles?

Well I hope people don't have a problem with Blazing Saddles, if they do then I would point them in the direction of this video. In it, Mel Brooks, the producers, writers and some of the key actors talk about the controversial aspects of the film and why they did it. Mel Brooks and the producers originally wanted Richard Pryor to play the sheriff but the studio didn't want him as they considered his stage act and general persona was a bit too controversial (he used to use the 'N' word a lot in his stage act). Cleavon Little ended up getting the part, but Mel Brooks and the producers managed to get Richard Pryor to be one of the writers for the film and It was him who wrote many of the classic scenes.
But then if you have to explain to certain people what Mel Brooks was getting at you're probably banging your head against a wall anyway.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
But they're not banning them? What's the issue with explaining the context around certain films?

Because where do you stop?

This film has been picked out of many which could be argued are far more prejudiced to a certain race or creed but no one is saying anything about them?

This is called History. It is available for everyone to understand if they wished to.

Wolfe at Quebec, Clive at Plassey, Gordon at Khartoum. Do people actually know anything about history or the context? Course they don't - why because they haven't bothered to read or learn about it.

You don't need to take a film off air for this - watching it would contribute to educational understanding without some Hollywood dimwit trying to explain it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
One of the all time classic lines in film history.

I remember a spitting image spoof,with footage of Ronald Reagan trying out for the Rhett Butler role.

In the screen test he utters the immortal line.
"Quite dearly my Frank, I don't damn a give"

amused me at the time. still does truth be told.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because where do you stop?

This film has been picked out of many which could be argued are far more prejudiced to a certain race or creed but no one is saying anything about them?

This is called History. It is available for everyone to understand if they wished to.

Wolfe at Quebec, Clive at Plassey, Gordon at Khartoum. Do people actually know anything about history or the context? Course they don't - why because they haven't bothered to read or learn about it.

You don't need to take a film off air for this - watching it would contribute to educational understanding without some Hollywood dimwit trying to explain it.

It's the characterisations in this film which is being criticised, not the story. Hollywood isn't known for its historical accuracy, such as the Yanks discovering the Enigma machine! How the Americans won WW2 single handed.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This thread is making me want to watch it again.

Luckily it's available on Prime Video, Sky Cinema, Now TV plus a billion other platforms. Censorship ain't what it used to be I suppose.

Strikes me as a decent bit of HBO Max which I'd never heard of unto now

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It's the characterisations in this film which is being criticised, not the story. Hollywood isn't known for its historical accuracy, such as the Yanks discovering the Enigma machine! How the Americans won WW2 single handed.

Ok - so let's have a detailed analysis of Errol Flynn's role in Objective Burma then....

You're missing my point. You can't just pick out certain films to do this......

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok - so let's have a detailed analysis of Errol Flynn's role in Objective Burma then....

You're missing my point. You can't just pick out certain films to do this......

They already have, and I haven't seen Objective Burma to comment on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here