Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Was there talk of some people walking from the Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean on the day of the opening of the stadium? I know strictly speaking the walk should take in Priestfield, but I'd be up for this if there were any others interested.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Was there talk of some people walking from the Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean on the day of the opening of the stadium? I know strictly speaking the walk should take in Priestfield, but I'd be up for this if there were any others interested.

I raised this a few weeks ago, generally well received. One or two valid issues were raised at the time but I proposed meeting at Hove Park, along old shoreham road down new england road (street), upper lewes road then onwards to our new home. Some mentioned that this may not be approved by the police, road closures etc. cant see any harm with that route, after all on that particular saturday the town normally becomes gridlocked due to pride (and please before anyone starts thats not a dig).

This is our day and if we could possibly have a band to march us there (Christ's Hospital Band) then even better

How many miles would the route be?
About 8.5 miles, if the AA route planner is to be believed:- Goldstone - Old Shoreham Road - Shirley Drive - The Droveway - The Drove - Preston Village - A23 - Withdean - back to Preston Circus - Viaduct Road - Upper Lewes Road - Lewes Road - Falmer

It's slightly shorter if you walk from Withdean to Falmer via the bypass, but I wouldn't recommend it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
About 8.5 miles, if the AA route planner is to be believed.

It's slightly shorter if you walk from Withdean to Falmer via the bypass, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Ta. Probably should have done that myself though :down:

Definitely got to be done. Would need to start around 9:30am I guess. Average wallking speed is about 3.5 miles an hour isn't it? Then factor a few stops at various watreing holes...

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Only problem I can see is that you are talking about a route that includes the A23-not sure the police will like that

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Only problem I can see is that you are talking about a route that includes the A23-not sure the police will like that

Why not, pride shuts half the city down till they get to Preston Park on this particular day in years gone by (no nastiness intended by the way)....whilst I'm writing this can I extend our thanks to their organisers in recognising our big day !!!!.....Should imagine the police wont be too bothered with crowd likely to be much smaller than pride day. This can be properly stewarded, but above else its joining together one and all to reach our new home. This can and should be done

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'll give my student friends a ring to this march yeah? :jester:

When I was younger i often thought this should be done. I'd forgotten until this thread. I'm in.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'd be up for this. Would be great to try & encorporate some fundraising for remf too

Oct 2, 2008
For anyone interested, Steve Foster ( the ever cheerful guy who posts on here, not the real one !) and I are planning to run from the Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean on the opening day of the season. Anyone else who is up for it is welcome to join us.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't know about running, but the walk is a great idea!

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I'll give my student friends a ring to this march yeah? :jester:

When I was younger i often thought this should be done. I'd forgotten until this thread. I'm in.

KneeOn, am I getting this right that we now agree on something...Only joking but there's mileage in this. I've been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years including Gillingham and as I mentioned in an earlier post, what better than have the Christ's Hospital Band lead us to our new spiritual home. This can and should be done everyone

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Whilst I like the idea, the problem you might have is judging numbers. If it's only 20 or 30 people I doubt you'd need to bother any officials, but if 1,000 then turn up you have problems. Obviously you like as many as possible, then you're not going to be able to involve pubs with too many people. Not trying to be negative, just thoughts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here