Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone to Falmer via Withdean

D

Deleted User X18H

About 8.5 miles, if the AA route planner is to be believed:- Goldstone - Old Shoreham Road - Shirley Drive - The Droveway - The Drove - Preston Village - A23 - Withdean - back to Preston Circus - Viaduct Road - Upper Lewes Road - Lewes Road - Falmer

It's slightly shorter if you walk from Withdean to Falmer via the bypass, but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can forget that route sunshine. I don't like anyone having fun on this hill!! tobogganists , marching bands , old ladies with shopping trolleys , no one!!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I'd be up for this,how far would it be?

*Edit*sorry just seen 8.5 miles.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There's a few of us want to do it, but I think the general consensus is that we don't want to do it as an 'organised' walk with an official route, marshalls, stewards, etc. We don't even want to be sponsored, we just to make the symbolic journey from our old home to our new one. I may not even go via Withdean, after all I'm not taking in the other temporary home at Gillingham, I'll have to see how I feel on the day.

I'll keep my eye on developments because if there is going to be an organised walk with an official start time I'll plan to set off either before or after it depending on the timing.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Surely it's shorter to cut up through hove park up and over Dyke Rd and down to Withers then up over the top via Carden Ave and Coldean Lane?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perhaps we could do this as the final fund raising event for REMF and then perhaps it has run its course.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Controversial!

Is it time to wind up the REMF?

I think we are approaching the 10th year so maybe perhaps it is however it is not for me to decide it is the trustees.

Plus I want to clarify this is just my opinion not the chance to start a bloody binfest !

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Had a go in google maps and it came out as 6.6 miles.

goldstonetofalmer.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is how I'd do it - 6.4 miles. 1 1/2 hours easily. Again I don't thin I'd want to be part of an organised group though. Would be too damned slow for one thing.

Attachments

• Goldstone_Falmer.JPG
    Goldstone_Falmer.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 169

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I also seem to remember there was some talk of cycling from the Goldstone to Gillingham, then back to Brighton.

Not sure I fancy a night in Gillingham though :eek:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Great idea. Someone make it happen.

Like I said, I will. But I always walk to Withdean. I don't really want it to be any different, just a little longer. Hope there's nothing "official" about it, as has been put on Ask the Club. Jeez, as if they haven't got enough to worry about.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I like Notters route - direct and also takes me very close to both of the places I lived whilst in Brighton. Will be be doing the walk too. Not that interested in a flags & cameras kind of affair, just want to reflect on a few things along the route.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I would like to see a mass march organised and if we get the start time right there will be plenty of time for liquid refreshment on arrival.

It is a nice opportunity to display some supporter unity and mark the end of a dark episode.

I am however a sucker for this form of public futility, if you leave it to me to organise, I will attempt to transport the "Goldstone" itself using ropes and rolling logs and two teams of haulers dressed appropriately in home and away colours. That would trump all those statue suggestions for the front of the AMEX.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shouldn't it go via the nearest fridge recycling depot seeing as Gillingham is a little too far away?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I am sure The History Man said he was thinking of trying to organise something along these lines (the walk from the Goldstone, not the cycle ride). If its a goer I shall be torn between doing it and celebrating wildly in the Lord Nelson.

I seem to recall, in the dim dark distant days of one of the public enquiries *not sure which one) that a walk was undertaken from the Goldstone to Falmer to demonstrate how long it would take to walk to the new stadium

SPRING '07
Fans walk from centre to Sheepcote and take well over time stated by opponents. (Ed will probably remember just how long they took)

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This is how I'd do it - 6.4 miles. 1 1/2 hours easily. Again I don't thin I'd want to be part of an organised group though. Would be too damned slow for one thing.

Yes, more than a few people, and it would turn into a stroll. 4mph is quite a pace to keep up over that route.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am sure The History Man said he was thinking of trying to organise something along these lines (the walk from the Goldstone, not the cycle ride). If its a goer I shall be torn between doing it and celebrating wildly in the Lord Nelson.
You can do both. I'm not doing Priestfield so the more I think about it the more inclined I am to cut out Withdean as well as it was never really 'home'. I think I'll go down the Old Shoreham Road, take a detour past the station to the Nelson (via the Evening Star) and then walk up Lewes Road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here