Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

going to london

bigc

Jul 5, 2003

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Recommend Duck Tours. A WWII amphibious landing craft that drives you around all the major sites, and then launches into the Thames, for a close up of the Houses of Parliament. A good laugh for the kids.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Recommend Duck Tours. A WWII amphibious landing craft that drives you around all the major sites, and then launches into the Thames, for a close up of the Houses of Parliament. A good laugh for the kids.

You'd never get me on one of those Duck Tours....

Does it feel as bad when it hits the water as it looks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BOF, talking of that area, have you had a drink in the Wheatscheaf since it moved to under the Hop Exchange. I never went to the original one as it always looked really rammed but I quite like the new one.

I have only been there once since the change and I was struggling to take in the immediate surroundings, let alone rate the pub.

I would stick to the riverside. Carry on going until something takes your fancy.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
i would recommend London Zoo... definetily worth the money, especially if you can get one of those '2 for the price of 1' deals....

and stay away from Madam Tussaudes.... biggest waste of money ever.

or like some others have said, just take a walk along southbank to see the sites along the river. and then you can stop off in one of the many bars...

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Tate modern can be excellent, as someone pointed out it largely depends what the exhibit in the turbine hall is...on my two visits it was the sun and the slides...but the permanent exhibits are worth seeing in their own right. Not sure which square you mean, but if it is the one by St Pauls, it might be called something like Paternoster Square.

You made me look it up...! - It's called Gabriels Wharf.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Another vote for a walk along the South Bank from the Eye towards Tower Bridge, literally historical views; South Bank Complex and Tate Modern to hand if you are Arty.

If you are a Foodie Borough Market is an excellent place to wander about and it also has the Market Porter if you like proper beer:drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Having worked in London for the last 15 years or so I really would recommend the South Bank especially in this sunny weather.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The weather forecast is good so walk from Victoria to Buckingham Palace and then through St James Park to Trafalgar Square. Then jump on one of those open-topped sightseeing tour buses to Tower of London.
When you are done at the Tower, walk the few metres down to the jetty and jump on a boat that will take you down to Thames to the Houses of Parliament. From there you can walk over the bridge and do the London Eye.
Sorted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It also depends what your kids are like 15 & 18 eh, maybe the museum things might be pushing it a bit. I would suggest Camden Market or Covent garden, soho shopping and an eye opener for a country bumpkin like yourself !! have a good one anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Tate modern is a must, its free and brilliant space even if the exhibition isnt the greatest (and if you aren't arty it'll probably impress/interest anyway).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Good call. Back in the day you could have also visited an excellent pie shop, Goddards..

it shut a couple of years ago. its now a gourmet burger company.

Goddards will be coming back to Greenwich soon though they are looking for a site.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I thought they had opened up a mobile unit for now, next to the Natwest. There is still at least one of the old pie and mash shops in Deptford High St.

There are two in Deptford High Street, Goddards and Manzes (neither, I understand, anything to do with their more illustrious namesakes any more), opposite each other at the Evelyn Street end. They are both RANK.

I will look out for the mobile pie unit though.

Jan 30, 2008
hi all , the wife has treated me to a trip to london with our 2 sons age 18 and 15 for my 50 th birthday , we are watching a show and then have weds free , now i am a country boy so i dont have a clue so where should we go , ie natural history, british museum help please
stick to farm shops and country walks , THERE'S A BIG BAD WORLD IN LONDON :rolleyes:

There are two in Deptford High Street, Goddards and Manzes (neither, I understand, anything to do with their more illustrious namesakes any more), opposite each other at the Evelyn Street end. They are both RANK.

I will look out for the mobile pie unit though.

Gotta agree with you about Manzes! Never been to the Goddards across the road. Not much call for me to be in Deptford much now, so wasn't sure if they were both still there. As for Greenwich, I try and avoid it coz its full of foreign tourists and bloody day trippers from Sussex with their teenage kids:dunce:
If I am going eating or drinking in that area, it is Blackheath village for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here