Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to any good gigs this month?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Blasphomy.

Kasabian are a triumphant return to rock and roll swagger and The Ordinary Boys are churning out superb social commentarial lyrics faster then you can say 'thats entertainment'.

Behave.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Richie Morris said:
Blasphomy.

Kasabian are a triumphant return to rock and roll swagger and The Ordinary Boys are churning out superb social commentarial lyrics faster then you can say 'thats entertainment'.

you swallowed a book of quotes full of typos richie?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Richie Morris said:
To quote their press release "equal amounts..Ray Davies, Billy Bragg and XTC's Andy Partridge, with heavy doses of the clash, the jam and the smiths thrown in for good measure".

The Ordinary Boys are your new favourite band, you just dont know it yet.

Sounds good... apart from the XTC reference. These 'clever-clever' wankers were the most hated band of their generation. At one point XTC's record company had to resort to flying the music press to a hastily-arranged all-expenses gig at some no-mark youth club in south-East Asia to ensure a half-decent review and a two-page feature.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Sounds good... apart from the XTC reference. These 'clever-clever' wankers were the most hated band of their generation. At one point XTC's record company had to resort to flying the music press to a hastily-arranged all-expenses gig at some no-mark youth club in south-East Asia to ensure a half-decent review and a two-page feature.

Exactly! MEDIA WHORES.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Oh Ritchie, poor poor Ritchie, if they are putting out press releases you can tell they are controlled already by the money men.

Kasabian (as I have droned on and on and on about) are very much manufactured in almost every detail, their 'sound' is quite appalling and I rank them in the same stable as McFly and Busted, only the latter are not claiming to be the great white hope of the Rock/ Indie scene.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Richie Morris said:
Blasphomy.

Kasabian are throwaway rock-chimps who have a mixture of nothing and zilch to say. They seem to think that repetitive = anthemic. They're wrong. And very very dull. They make the music of neanderthals. Less swagger than knuckle-scraping shuffle.

The Ordinary Boys are equally caught in the past. A past they saw on television and thought looked cool. It's fine that they make average shouty pop, but let's not pretend they have anything resembling an original thought.

And it's blasphemy.

Last edited:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Tom Hark said:

Have I read this correctly, Tom? XTC the most hated band of their generation? Surely some mistake. XTC are one on the best bands of all time, FACT. I take it you think the Kinks are 'clever-clever wankers' too. :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Willow said:
Have I read this correctly, Tom? XTC the most hated band of their generation? Surely some mistake. XTC are one on the best bands of all time, FACT. I take it you think the Kinks are 'clever-clever wankers' too. :angry:

Enjoy Friday??

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Enjoy Friday??

Very much so. Really enjoyed the first set, with some of the mwng songs. You realise what a great voice Gruff has. Second half the place was rocking - I didn't think it was possible to form a mosh pit at the RFH but they managed it. I was upstairs in the middle of the balcony. Very good acoustics, I thought.

I enjoyed Brave Captain too, and even sat in the Howard Marks Confessional Booth. :lolol: I didn't have much to confess to him but he told me to take more drugs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was upstairs for the first bit but we managed to get down in the pit for the second set somehow (think we might have fluked it). It went pretty crazy down there when they played 'The Man Don't give a f***'. Thought it sounded excellent, loved the venue (first time there), the view from the balcony out the back is superb.

The Howard Marks booth was well funny, I didn't have anything to confess but it was nice to chat to him, even if it was broadcast in the auditorium.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot

The Howard Marks booth was well funny, I didn't have anything to confess but it was nice to chat to him, even if it was broadcast in the auditorium.

He's the most Welsh person I've ever spoken too. :ohmy: I thought he was putting the accent on at first.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Tom Hark said:
Nope

:guffaw-and-laugh-at-Willow:

Nope

Okay, so you don't like XTC then. You WEIRDO. :lolol:

Must say, I've never known anyone to actively dislike them before. Some of the smartest, catchiest, lushious pop music ever written. And with a Britsh flavour that people can relate to. What's not to like? ???

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
For some reason I also actively disliked XTC. Partridge's voice, his clever clever lyrics and his over-annunciation grated with me. I quite liked their track on the live Hope and Anchor album recorded by Dave Robinson, but it went downhill from there in my book. I also can't stand Dogs Die in Hot Cars as the singer's voice reminds me of Partridge.

I always thought that they were a love/hate band - you were either NUTS about them or you hated them.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I was upstairs for the first bit but we managed to get down in the pit for the second set somehow (think we might have fluked it). It went pretty crazy down there when they played 'The Man Don't give a f***'. Thought it sounded excellent, loved the venue (first time there), the view from the balcony out the back is superb.

And I have about five minutes as voicemail message to prove it.

So wish I could have gone.

Oh yeah and I'm staying out of the Kasabian debate this time. My thoughts are well known.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Willow said:
Okay, so you don't like XTC then. You WEIRDO. :lolol:

Must say, I've never known anyone to actively dislike them before. Some of the smartest, catchiest, lushious pop music ever written. And with a Britsh flavour that people can relate to. What's not to like? ???

NME & Sounds despised XTC also - right up to the time when they were corruptly and temporarily won over by a first class holiday in someone else's misery. South Korea if memory serves. THEN they swooned over XTC, even if the natives showed commendable solidarity with their western contemporaries in blanking the band. Should be noted also that the music press's love affair with the clever-clever XTC ended again just as soon as they were all safely back at LHR clutching their duty-frees - and XTC split up shortly after. Hoorah! :clap2:

Richie Morris said:
Blasphomy.

I have both CDs. Ordinary Boys, not bad, but not exactly ground breaking stuff.

Kasabian - Nowhere near as good as the hype. I'd go as far as to say uninspiring and overrated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here