Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goalkeepers,the best you have ever seen 'Live'

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Never saw Banks,seen Shilton,Clemence too. Stevenson (Burnley) Glazier (Coventry) King (Millwall) decent keepers,Cooper (Ipswich) and then the overseas lot came into the game and apart from one or two (i/e Schmeichel/Schwarzer) what have we gained ? As to 'Live' and the best i have ever is The Ulsterman so calm and dominant and that is (for me) what a keeper should be.

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
Shilton - mid 80's (Southampton)
Nigel Martyn (87' for Bistol Rovers against the Albion)
John Lukic
My son who is still only 8 years old (ok i accept i might be a little biased!!)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Paul Cooper at Ipswich used to save penalties for fun - remember one season when he saved loads
One of our best keepers was Joe Corrigan - I remember him sitting down with his back against the goalpost watching the game when we beat Charlton 7-0 at the Goldstone - furthermore turning round and chatting to people in the South Stand ! Real character and with massive hands

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Very, very pleased to hear Paul Cooper get a few mentions. An uncapped player in his time, there'd be a good chance he'd be England first choice if he was playing nowadays.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Saw Banks play at the Goldstone in 1975 in a friendly against Stoke. Even though it was after his accident & he wasn't playing professionally anymore it was still a real thrill to see him.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Mark Beeney was SO good for us...at the time people were talking about him playing for England and many fans don't realise just what a great keeper he was for us.

As for opposition keepers, Paul Robinson at Spurs, Shaka Hislop at the goldstone for Reading and David James - just for that f***ing unbelievable save he made from Sparrows shot last week V Brizzle

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Peter Shilton is the best goalkeeper the world has ever seen FACT !!! END OF !!!

I walked him out on the pitch for his 1000th league match at Leyton Orient !
Absolute honour for me.
He was 47 years old and better than a lot of keepers are now.
No one has come close to him yet !!!!!!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Peter Shilton is the best goalkeeper the world has ever seen FACT !!! END OF !!!

I'm gonna upset u now and say he was only around so long for england because after Banks and before Seaman the rest were poor.

I still blame Shilton for Maradonna's handball goal in 86 as he should have saved it.

Shilton was a good keeper, but he wasn't THAT good

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Bert Trautmann (Manchester City). Yes, the man who played the last 15 minutes of a Cup Final with a broken neck. No subs in those days.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I'm gonna upset u now and say he was only around so long for england because after Banks and before Seaman the rest were poor.

I still blame Shilton for Maradonna's handball goal in 86 as he should have saved it.

Shilton was a good keeper, but he wasn't THAT good

How was Ray Clemence, Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes, Jimmy Rimmer, Paul Cooper all poor? All of these were better then Seaman. Shilton in his pomp, along with Clemence were world class, you obviously don't really understand goalkeeping!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without any doubt my No 1 would be Pat Jennings when he played for Spurs. Our best possibly Peter Grummitt although past his best when he played for us.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Very, very pleased to hear Paul Cooper get a few mentions. An uncapped player in his time, there'd be a good chance he'd be England first choice if he was playing nowadays.

Dropped his name in because i saw him play a few times and (it is me) he always looked a decent keeper.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Shilton - saw his 1000th game, Orient v BHA
Schmeichel - saw him score a goal from a corner
Barthez and Chilavert, at France 98
Cech, Seaman
My son, age 7 (off to goalkeeper training in half an hour!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here