Jennings
Seaman
Corrigan

Seen them all but my favourite when I was young was Bonetti

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I once saw Clemence at The Goldstone. He was beyond belief & shortly afterwards he was playing for Liverpool. Luke Steele impressed me when playing for Peterborough at Withdean. I think he then joined Manchester United. Isn't he now playing for Barnsley? What went wrong ?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Another vote for Neville Southall. He put on the best display of shot stopping I have ever seen in an Albion match, despite being overweight, past his prime, and playing for Torquay.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Peter Shilton is the best goalkeeper the world has ever seen FACT !!! END OF !!!

I walked him out on the pitch for his 1000th league match at Leyton Orient !
Absolute honour for me.
He was 47 years old and better than a lot of keepers are now.
No one has come close to him yet !!!!!!

That has to be one of my funniest footballing moments. The red carpet incident before the players came out - man trying to put down red carpet in windy conditions, flapping all over the place, he falls over etc etc Doesn't sound so funny now but the laughter was a break from building a bonfire!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
In the 80s we played Oldham at home and their keeper had a fantastic game.
It was Andy Goram and he was absolutely brilliant, and that remains the most memorable goalkeeping performance I have ever seen live.
I remember thinking that he was going to go on to be a big star, which of course he did at Hibs, and more famously with Rangers, when they were a good side, and with Scotland.

I was sorry that in later years when he got fat (look who's talking I hear you cry) and made a few howlers, that he was a regular target for people slagging off Scottish keepers, because I knew how bloody good he was.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
How was Ray Clemence, Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes, Jimmy Rimmer, Paul Cooper all poor? All of these were better then Seaman. Shilton in his pomp, along with Clemence were world class, you obviously don't really understand goalkeeping!

If we're gonna get personal about it, then I'd say that considering some of the keepers you've mentioned and the fact that I've been a keeper for 30 years I would say I know far more about goalkeeping than you my friend.

I could reel off a whole raft of errors that those keepers made at the top level, although Cooper, Parkes and Rimmer were only good enough to play 2 games between all three of them for England and in fact, Rimmer was SO bad in his debut V Italy that he was taken off at half time.

Clemence and Corrigan, I give you - although the former still made stupid mistakes at international level.

so nah nah nah nah nah!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Without any doubt my No 1 would be Pat Jennings when he played for Spurs. Our best possibly Peter Grummitt although past his best when he played for us.

I remember Jennings making a stunning save from a Gerry Ryan shot at the Goldstone. He really was one of the greatest goalies of modern times.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
live : brad freidel
tv: schmeichel

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we're gonna get personal about it, then I'd say that considering some of the keepers you've mentioned and the fact that I've been a keeper for 30 years I would say I know far more about goalkeeping than you my friend.

I could reel off a whole raft of errors that those keepers made at the top level, although Cooper, Parkes and Rimmer were only good enough to play 2 games between all three of them for England and in fact, Rimmer was SO bad in his debut V Italy that he was taken off at half time.

Clemence and Corrigan, I give you - although the former still made stupid mistakes at international level.
so nah nah nah nah nah!

I like the way you don't actually specify who you think is the best, just criticize others who reached the pinnacle at the position you have occupied for 30 years. You seem to suggest that Seaman was far better than Shilton, Clemence et al but he was prone to the odd gaff. And just because you have been 'put in goal' for the last 30 years, doesn't make you a better expert than anyone else. There are plenty of football managers who can spot a good goalkeeper without ever having played in goal!

Oh, and for my money, the best keepers I have seen are probably Shilton, Clemence and Corrigan with Shilton edging it over the other two. His record for the number of caps would have been in the 180s had the England managers not chopped and changed between him and Clemence.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Peter 'Shilts' Shilton at Villa Park in the 1977-78 Season (which was Forest's first season back in Div 1 for many-a-year, & they actually won the League Title). The guy was absolutely incredible: pulling off world-class save after word-class save - as Villa laid siege to the Forest Goal in the 2nd half. Needless to say, Villa scored 0 & Forest 2. Oh, & I seem to recall there was a predictable pitched battle outside the ground at the end of the evening's on-field entertainment. Smashin'. :(

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Very, very pleased to hear Paul Cooper get a few mentions. An uncapped player in his time, there'd be a good chance he'd be England first choice if he was playing nowadays.
This.

Peter Shilton is the best goalkeeper the world has ever seen FACT !!! END OF !!!

Neville Southall
I'm sitting on the fence..... with my legs dangling in Peter Shilton's Garden.

I can't spell him but Schmeichel for me
I don't think I saw him live. Did he ever play against us?

In the 80s we played Oldham at home and their keeper had a fantastic game.
It was Andy Goram and he was absolutely brilliant, and that remains the most memorable goalkeeping performance I have ever seen live.

This.....

...........and being biased whenever Kuipers seemed to play against Bristol City, Home or Away.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Chesterfield had a few good keepers in the past. Stephenson was the most memorable for them, the best and the worst of a keeper on the day. Outwitted by Kit Napier (twice).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Another vote for Neville Southall. He put on the best display of shot stopping I have ever seen in an Albion match, despite being overweight, past his prime, and playing for Torquay.

This.

Another "one-off" performance that stands out for me was Alan Knight for Pompey. Some time in the late 90's I think down at Fratton we absolutely mullered them and played them of the park all day long. Result? 0-0 thanks to Knight.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Neville Southall's performance at Withdean for Torquay (the first one, anyway) was amazing. The fat man did well.

Pepe Reina is probably my favourite goalkeeper playing in England, so to see him playing here for Liverpool was special.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not the best keeper, but John Burridge was very funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here