Goal or no goal?

• Goal

Votes: 262 60.9%
  • No goal

Votes: 168 39.1%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I couldn't see at the game but since then looking at pictures only 90% of the ball crossed the line, so not enough for a goal.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Sitting in South west corner.....it was a definite goal and I don't care two hoots, its about time we had some luck go our way. Watford must be gutted and they deserved to win (just) As we say when the decisions go against us......it evens out over the season. Lets just hope our injury list "evens out"

Good game though we played ok for our reserves!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Looking at the picture from the side of the pitch, it doesn't look like the whole of the ball has quite crossed the inside edge of the goal-line. So it's no goal for me, but my God: it's a tight call.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
View attachment 48067

(Sorry for the thin lines but) The vertical black line splits the ball down the centre. The horizontal black line shows the same distance either side of the centre, and matches well with where the edge of the ball is. The black line along the goal line is a conservative estimate of where the line is behind the post. And it's still not in.

I have completely changed my mind after seeing this picture......you know I think the lino was spot on and even though I was sure it was a goal I would not argue with this evidence even though I saw the incident with my own eyes!

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

Went on a lino's course a couple of years ago and we spent quite a bit of time on this topic. The trainer set up this very picture and had us all standing in slightly different positions in the room. The only guy who made the correct decision was the one who the trainer had placed exactly in line with the goal line, everyone else in the room said goal. You only needed to be a few feet up from the right angle to the goal line to get the wrong decision and the trainer was emphasising that as a lino you couldn't make a decision unless you were exactly in line.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have completely changed my mind after seeing this picture......you know I think the lino was spot on and even though I was sure it was a goal I would not argue with this evidence even though I saw the incident with my own eyes!

This. Amazingly, given the first still image, no goal. Correct decision, by literally millimetres. Perversely it's so near to over, that you wouldn't really call it a mistake if he HAD given it.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
From the evidence presented it has to be No Goal.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Interesting. Are there any 'goal' voters that would change their vote to 'no goal' now that additional evidence has been presented?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Interesting. Are there any 'goal' voters that would change their vote to 'no goal' now that additional evidence has been presented?

Yes, after seeing the side on view and the video I'm now convinced it wasn't a goal. Couldn't really tell at the time from the North

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
At the time I thought, "ooh, that's close", but from my angle in the WSU C I couldn't tell whether the whole ball had crossed the whole line, and seeing where the linesman was and taking into account his view (which was not by the corner flag) there is no way he could tell either, so there is no way he could call it as a goal.

The person with the best view was Gordon Greer, perhaps we should ask him whether he thought the whole ball was over the whole line?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What? You mean admit I was wrong?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
So under the rules of goaline tekkers which according to the boffins takes seconds to clarify the result i wonder what the outcome would of been and just how long it would of taken , as a Brighton fan im ok with the outcome but as a Watford fan i would not be happy , in the cold light of day the linesman must be given some credit here as there is a tiny bit of doubt as to the final destination of the whole of the ball .

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Another illustration for the geometrically challenged...

https://vine.co/v/hDql5zJnbrt

That video shows why we can't rely on the first image which makes it look way over, but it also goes a bit too far over the ball so you get the reverse affect of it looking like more of the ball is on the line than it is.

I thought immediately (from central WSU so similar angle to the first pic) it was way over the line, but Sheebo pointed out after the game the goal line angle that had been shown on telly showed it hadn't quite fully crossed.

I wouldn't have had any complaints whatsover if it had been given as a goal though. In real time everything was there to suggest it was fully over as the linesman was a yard or two up the pitch so didn't have the perfect view along the line either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here