Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOAL MUSIC: Sign here if you DO want it!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As far as I can tell, the parents on here spent 99% of their time telling their kids to sit down and be quiet, so frankly, take them to the football and tell them to shout all they like, they'll love it. They don't need some Noddy music to help them make a noise, surely? My bloody neighbours' kids certainly don't :angry:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I think it depends on how the atmosphere is. If it's shit and we score a goal maybe it will lift the noise abit.

If its shit I'd like to think that the scoring of the goal itself would improve the atmosphere, rather than any additional artificial aid like music.

Unless we were already 5-0 down of course in which nothing will probably work; unless the crowd goes into gallows humour mode....

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why do so many people consider what the kids want? Who gives a f*** what the kids want? They haven't spent 15 years waiting for it and they won't be handing over £500 a year to go there, so quite frankly they can DO ONE when it comes to the experience.

Too right, why does everyone care so much about keeping kids entertained.

90 minutes of football is the entertainment, end of. If they don't like it then tough shit, they're kids and have do what their parents tell them, it's not like they can leave by themselves halfway through is it.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Why do so many people consider what the kids want? Who gives a f*** what the kids want? They haven't spent 15 years waiting for it and they won't be handing over £500 a year to go there, so quite frankly they can DO ONE when it comes to the experience.

Completely agreed. Far too much effort to accomodate the kids at the expense of everyone else. A lot of people on this board grew up supporting the Albion in pretty bleak times (whether it be the late Goldstone days or the Withdean years), you either grow to love the thrill of supporting your local team or not.

I really fail to see how sanitising the experience and playing Tom Hark (or whatever) to make Falmer like every other ground in the country is supposed to be a good thing for encouraging kids. If they don't enjoy watching Brighton then fine, is goal music really going to convert a youngster into a lifetime of watching Albion?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Completely agreed. Far too much effort to accomodate the kids at the expense of everyone else. A lot of people on this board grew up supporting the Albion in pretty bleak times (whether it be the late Goldstone days or the Withdean years), you either grow to love the thrill of supporting your local team or not.

I really fail to see how sanitising the experience and playing Tom Hark (or whatever) to make Falmer like every other ground in the country is supposed to be a good thing for encouraging kids. If they don't enjoy watching Brighton then fine, is goal music really going to convert a youngster into a lifetime of watching Albion?

Totally agree BUT when your looking to fill 22,000 seats you need more then just the hardcore fans who will be there come rain or shine. I personally don't need goal music, Gully's girls, crossbar challenges etc etc as i'm there for the football but for others they want a full day of being "entertained".

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

ahhh the British way, children should be seen and not heard. Lovely.

f*** goal music though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I haven't read through all this properly so don't know if some people are on a wind up or not, but wasn't the first time most people went to football, as a kid? Did you think "Well I like it, but I wish they had goal music". Really? I was captivated by the whole thing, the atmosphere, the shouting, tha chanting, the football etc. Why would I have preferred it if there was shit goal music? I don't get it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I disagree with the comments about kids. We should be doing eveything we can to get them in (whether goal music forms a part of this experience or not doesn't really matter to me - I'm sure the ultra high-tech sound system can be made to somehow do different things in each stand). People are right that parents will bring their kids, but if the kids don't enjoy themselves they will not ask to come back. We will never get to the top flight with 15,000 fans and if we do I don't think it would be possible to sustain (I await Blackpool to prove me wrong!). Having almost got through the wilderness years, we need to grow.

The seagulls player interview with Richard Hebbard alludes to the solution to this problem. The Amex needs different areas to suit the needs and expectations of different fans. If the club do this right, I think the gaol music debate becomes a moot point.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I disagree with the comments about kids. We should be doing eveything we can to get them in (whether goal music forms a part of this experience or not doesn't really matter to me - I'm sure the ultra high-tech sound system can be made to somehow do different things in each stand). People are right that parents will bring their kids, but if the kids don't enjoy themselves they will not ask to come back. We will never get to the top flight with 15,000 fans and if we do I don't think it would be possible to sustain (I await Blackpool to prove me wrong!). Having almost got through the wilderness years, we need to grow.

The seagulls player interview with Richard Hebbard alludes to the solution to this problem. The Amex needs different areas to suit the needs and expectations of different fans. If the club do this right, I think the gaol music debate becomes a moot point.

Yes, the club should be doing all it can to get kids involved, but I really don't see what this has to do with goal music? Cheap tickets for kids, a winning team and not driving away the parents of the kids in the first place is surely the best way to go about this?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, the club should be doing all it can to get kids involved, but I really don't see what this has to do with goal music? Cheap tickets for kids, a winning team and not driving away the parents of the kids in the first place is surely the best way to go about this?

This.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

Couldn't agree more. As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of goal music. I just don't like the attitude of some that the kids should be ignored because they haven't had to put up with Withdean.

Kids and goal music was more a point I was wondering aloud, rather than advocating.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Because shit for brains we need as many bums on seats as possible to fill the Amex and getting kids to go should be a priority, taking your argument ... I've been going since '74 so why the f*** should I consider what you want. Shit argument isn't it?

However as far as I'm concerned goal music is the devils work and is only slightly less evil than Pol Pot :tantrum:

We need to get things PROPERLY organised.

I want Park and Ride buses waiting on the concourse, with their engines revving - ready to accommodate the HUNDREDS of Albion fans who will walk out of the stadium every time the opposition gets past our pathetic defence and gets a shot on target.

If the opposition actually manage to score ... a table should be wheeled on to the pitch and Tony Bloom should walk out to accept the manager's resignation IMMEDIATELY.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Because shit for brains we need as many bums on seats as possible to fill the Amex and getting kids to go should be a priority, taking your argument ... I've been going since '74 so why the f*** should I consider what you want. Shit argument isn't it?

However as far as I'm concerned goal music is the devils work and is only slightly less evil than Pol Pot :tantrum:

Obviously kids are welcome to Falmer or any footy ground, but, groups of screaming kids do not create a proper footy atmosphere, they just get bored and distracted when nothing much is going on.

When my dad first took me to the Goldstone, we just went to a handfull of games each season, standing on the East Terrace, which was great, but I fell in love with the Albion in my early teens when I started to go to games with my mates not my dad. We always stood in the same place so anyone would always know where to find us, Going out with your mates, having a few beers and shouting you heads off! That's what football is all about.

Yes, getting bums on seats is of course a priority, but if you concentrate on the kids end of the market, you will end up with a sanitised product with shit music after each goal, because that keeps the target audience interested. Football has become a family day out and pretty much any big ground you go to now, you will find that the atmosphere is poor, compared to the past. The two main factors for this are no standing, so it's almost impossible to get a group of mates all together, and too many families!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Obviously kids are welcome to Falmer or any footy ground, but, groups of screaming kids do not create a proper footy atmosphere, they just get bored and distracted when nothing much is going on.

When my dad first took me to the Goldstone, we just went to a handfull of games each season, standing on the East Terrace, which was great, but I fell in love with the Albion in my early teens when I started to go to games with my mates not my dad. We always stood in the same place so anyone would always know where to find us, Going out with your mates, having a few beers and shouting you heads off! That's what football is all about.

Yes, getting bums on seats is of course a priority, but if you concentrate on the kids end of the market, you will end up with a sanitised product with shit music after each goal, because that keeps the target audience interested. Football has become a family day out and pretty much any big ground you go to now, you will find that the atmosphere is poor, compared to the past. The two main factors for this are no standing, so it's almost impossible to get a group of mates all together, and too many families!

So would you prefer we go back to the bad old days of the 70's and 80's??

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

:facepalm:
they WILL be the ones paying 500 pounds in ten years time and if we don't get them now then they willgo to the Emirates or elsewhere. and then you wont have a club to support

Im against goal music though...just not for this shitty reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here