Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal music: a campaign to make sure we never have it at the Amex

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
we've got 3 mascots and those ridiculous cheerleaders.

it's hypocritical to moan about americanisation at this point.
Those things aren't actually ruining any part of the game (the best part). It's quite easy to ignore those things, although attempting a conversation inside a stadium pre-match and at half time is probably going to be as impossible as it is at any other ground...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Noticed Ipswich Town committing this crime against football on the FL show tonight.
I've actually been there and witnessed it myself (two family members are Ipswich STHs). It was appalling to see fans of a really good, traditional club being turned into clapping robots at the sound of that execrable, cringe-making piece of dog turd, Tom f*****g Hark.

Even worse was this cold dread that we might eventually follow that Stepfordian path ourselves...

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Noticed Ipswich Town committing this crime against football on the FL show tonight.

I am reading Matthew Bazell's book 'Theatre of Silence' at the moment. Here is what he says about goal music as part of the growing Americanisation of the game:-
"The best example of what I mean by this is the playing of music whenever a goal is scored, which we now have at many football grounds. The sound of the crowd cheering a goal is now drowned out by loud music that blares over the thousands of voices in the stadium. A football match for the most part is eighty-eight minutes of nothing happening and two minutes of drama. Drama climaxing with perhaps a goal or two being scored, and yet this climax of a game is now being crowned by Let me entertain you from Robbie Williams. Who was it that came up with this idea? The idea that a second rate pop song is more fitting to the glory of a goal than the sound of a roaring crowd is perverse.
I dislike this trend so much that in the 2004-5 Premiership season I was happy to see Norwich City get relegated, for no other reason than their annoying habit of playing crap music every time they scored a goal at home. So Delia Smith, take note of Morrissey - Hang the DJ.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Signed

Can I add another thing about PA's systems in grounds. On away trips some are so loud that I have had trouble talking to the person next to me. Examples would be Huddersfield last year and the few times I have been to the Valley where adverts are played vey loudly at the end of the game and its not possible to have a conversation.

At Withdean, my experience in the South Stand is one that is almost PA noise free. I can often hear the music as I walk to the ground and on the running track its louder than in my seat. So in the 10 years or so I have heard almost buggar all from the people employed to make noise/atmosphere/play music and annouce news/interview people. I actually wrote a couple of complaints about this originally (with no response) and just accepted (like not having a roof) it was not worth the money to get a better sound system in place.

I realise now that it does not affect my so called 'match day experience', but possibly enhances it as I talk to the people around me.

Tony Bloom wants the best stadium, so I imagine this may include the best sound system ever seen and heard in the groundand shown on a big screen. Will this mean revenue for the club, Reading FC prices are listed below.

Reading | Commercial | Advertising and Sponsorship | Advertising and Sponsorship | Video screen advertising

I hope we may stop the 'Glad all over' crap played after a goal is scored but doubt we will avoid loud noise and advertising being thrown at us pre/post game and during halftime.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Don't like the idea. I experienced it at a twenty twenty game and thought it sort of a "jolly novelty" at first but very rapidly got sick of it. A bit wanky if you ask me.

It wouldn't stop me going or shouting and jumping around when we score.

Have I missed a link to a petition?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
they need help

Had to laugh when I saw this on that thread:

It was brilliant having the music off of the darts. I just wish the back the boys team had told us in advance so I could have worn fancy dress and held up a humorous sign hoping to get shown on the telly

My wife did that at the darts couple of years ago, and actually succeeded in getting on, assuming that the red button coverage counts as "telly"!!

:thumbsup:

I'm still against the idea of music after goals though...

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Had my first trip of the season to Loftus Road yesterday and because of this thread, paid a lot of attention to Pigbag and people's reaction to it. It used to be when we scored, we'd go mad for a bit and then they put it on. Nowadays the second the ball hits the back of the net, on it goes. Worse than that, people stopped what they were doing and started clapping along. :nono:

At the final whistle, I looked across at the posh seats - people were clapping the teams off and started clapping in time to the music. :nono:

Having said in my 1st post, it doesn't bother me, it does now. Not as though there was a lack of atmosphere ... :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Had my first trip of the season to Loftus Road yesterday and because of this thread, paid a lot of attention to Pigbag and people's reaction to it. It used to be when we scored, we'd go mad for a bit and then they put it on. Nowadays the second the ball hits the back of the net, on it goes. Worse than that, people stopped what they were doing and started clapping along. :nono:

At the final whistle, I looked across at the posh seats - people were clapping the teams off and started clapping in time to the music. :nono:

Having said in my 1st post, it doesn't bother me, it does now. Not as though there was a lack of atmosphere ... :(

Warnock is quoted in today's papers as saying it was a bit quiet at LR yesterday, at least until they scored in the second half.

Anyway, as you raised the subject again: who on here thought in the 96th minute yesterday that what that glorious, spontaneous, joyful, scream-out-loud LASTING moment really needed was a bit of Pigbag?

Anyone? Hello?

:tumble:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004

NSC has given you the red pill. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here