Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glyndebourne-v-Falmer

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Jonathon Livingstone said:
Without betraying any confidences I can safely say that several of the senior planners at LDC recommended against the JR.

If this is on the grounds that they didn't have a leg to stand on legally, but then De Veggy took a political decsion to ignore their advice; this is quite encouraging.

Any chance of you adding to the non betrayal of confidences on this point.....?

:)

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Screaming J said:
If this is on the grounds that they didn't have a leg to stand on legally, but then De Veggy took a political decsion to ignore their advice; this is quite encouraging.

Well this perhaps is another reason why De Vecchi has kept her head down. It would have been much better justifying their (LDC) decision if all the professional advice was for JR, but this, if true supports the view that they are indeed clutching at straws.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's pretty strange this Opera House v Football Stadium class issue thing because - and this will not surprise you...

One of the heads of Planning at Lewes District Council (a completely batty woman who gave evidence at the first public inquiry) said in a conversation to one of her colleagues in the planning office that the stadium at Falmer was complete nonsense and a total folly. "The people of Falmer don't deserve a football stadium on their doorstep. Now if it was an Opera House which obviously would not attract football fans, that would be far more reasonable."

I am paraphrasing, but an 'Opera House v Football Stadium' debate has actually taken place within the planning offices at Lewes District Council, and this is the attitude of one of the heads of Planning.

How do I know? Sorry, can't tell you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leekbrookgull said:
Just how do you get planning permission,for Glyndebourne in a genuine area of an unspoilt part of the South Downs?

Probably the very same reason Goodwood racecourse (patron: Duke Of Richmond) got to put up their new grandstand extensions that can be seen on the top of the Downs for about thirty miles around.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
The Large One said:
It's pretty strange this Opera House v Football Stadium class issue thing because - and this will not surprise you...

One of the heads of Planning at Lewes District Council (a completely batty woman who gave evidence at the first public inquiry) said in a conversation to one of her colleagues in the planning office that the stadium at Falmer was complete nonsense and a total folly. "The people of Falmer don't deserve a football stadium on their doorstep. Now if it was an Opera House which obviously would not attract football fans, that would be far more reasonable."

Would that "batty woman" have been called Susan Moffatt by any chance?

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Screaming J said:

I'm not saying that the Officer's recommendation to the Council was not to pursue the JR, just that I know for certain that a number of senior officers did not support that action.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Funny that, so have I. To jack.strutt@lewes.gov.uk -- as he was the one who gave me an answer last time I asked Lewes for FOI stuff.

Jack Strutt is a top bloke and life long Albion fan!:wave: He deals with any planning related FOI matters and Alan Batty/Sarah Nield deal with Cabinet/Committee related FOI matters.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have made a formal request to access the papers under the FOI Act.

If anyone else wishes to do the same then they should email either of the following:

Alan.Batty@lewes.gov.uk

or

Sarah.Nield@lewes.gov.uk

I was led to believe that FOI requests had to be hard copies-not emails. Can one of you wise men/women let me know if emails are acceptable?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Surely there's a few good stories here for the Argus:

1. A number of senior planners at LDC recommended against the JR;
2. The Director of Planning himself was probably one of those;
3. At least one Lib Dem councillor has previously stated that they would be happy seeing an Opera House at Falmer, but not a football stadium;

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Jim in the West said:
Surely there's a few good stories here for the Argus:

1. A number of senior planners at LDC recommended against the JR;
2. The Director of Planning himself was probably one of those;
3. At least one Lib Dem councillor has previously stated that they would be happy seeing an Opera House at Falmer, but not a football stadium;

Where has anyone said that the Director of Planning recommended against the JR?

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Ref your point, above, JL, I'm just putting two and two together from your previous post (see below)....I qualified my statement with the word "probably" - perhaps I should have said "possibly" - intriguing, none the less.

Without betraying any confidences I can safely say that several of the senior planners at LDC recommended against the JR.

I don't know what Lindsay Frost's (Director of Planning & Environmental Services) view is, but he is a big football fan and is a regular at Highbury.

If we all wish hard enough, we might just draw Arsenal at home in the FA Cup.

Just for the sheer bloody pleasure of enjoying the thought that Lewes DC's Director of Planning might not be able to get a ticket in the scramble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here