Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
3 clean sheet in 6 league games, hardly poor

Sure, but recent form (and that counts right), you've shipped 4 in the last 3 games. We've kept 3 clean sheets in a row now, and only conceeded more than 1 goal, in any game, once this season, in all competitions.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Been played upfront which is his favoured position. 3 goals in 6, he's been immense. Pace to burn and work rate in abundance. I think you all underestimate him, hopefully your players do the same on the night.

It's easy to underestimate someone when most of us haven't seen him play.

This isn't a dig, just something I was thinking about the other day, how many of Palace's youth academy players have actually left Palace and been a success elsewhere?

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
It's easy to underestimate someone when most of us haven't seen him play.

This isn't a dig, just something I was thinking about the other day, how many of Palace's youth academy players have actually left Palace and been a success elsewhere?

The problem lies in the fact that they leave far to early chasing the vast money found in the Prem and then fall flat on there face. Bostock being the prime example. Great talent but he's blown it. Moses is now starting to how his worth at Wigan as is Watson.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Murray is a chippy northerner. Nothing will get him going more than a ground full of southerners baying for blood. He will be inspired rather than intimidated.

I wonder whether his missus will be going to the game. I wonder what she will think when she realises how many of her nighbours think her husband is a wanker.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What is weird about it,.... its a rivalry, they are our closest team........ isn't that the normal way of rivalries,......

Not by much though is it? I would have taken Pompey to be the nearest in terms of natural coastal rivalry, like Ipswich/Norwich, Cardiff/Swansea.

The seeds of it all were planted by the rivalry of Venables and Mullery back in the 1970's. It's just grown from there plus the catchment area right across the surrey/Sussex border.

That is something Crawley might defuse if they succeed, but their bubble seems to have burst at the mo. Be sad if they're another Maidstone.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think anyone ever suggested Murray was a bad player. And he was struggling with injuries in his first couple of years here. But he wouldn't get in the team now so it was probably a good move for him,

What a stupid statement. In my opinion he would be up there with CMS, Barnes and Hoskins as a first choice striker. We haven't seen anyone in the stripes this season in a striker role who has his prowess in the air ... nowhere close.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The problem lies in the fact that they leave far to early chasing the vast money found in the Prem and then fall flat on there face. Bostock being the prime example. Great talent but he's blown it. Moses is now starting to how his worth at Wigan as is Watson.

Was Ashley Cole one of yours?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
FWIW, which isn't much, I think the game will go one of two ways. You're defence has been a bit suspect and we could play our passing game at its best and put 3 or 4 (or whisper it, even more) past you, thus properly avenging the 5-0 and perhaps encouraging you to change your avatar. I think there is a fair chance of that....

OR, you will come out fast and quick and committed and get right into us, perhaps even scoring early (that's the way to beat us), and it will be a tight and passionate game that finishes 1-0 to you or 1-1 - and I guess you get bragging rights with the draw (or more likely this whole sorry points-scoring exercise and childish baiting will continue here and on the BBS until we meet again at Selhurst - for another draw? :facepalm:).... and I think there's a fair chance of that too.

It won't be a comfortable 2-0 to either side, or a mild-mannered 0-0, of that I'm fairly sure.

I think the key figure is McCarthy who is rather vulnerable under pressure into conceding own goals or penalties if put under pressure. It will be intense at the Amex so I hope he (and the rest) keep their cool.

An on-pitch outburst of violence could trigger big problems after the game.

So cool it fellas...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
What a stupid statement. In my opinion he would be up there with CMS, Barnes and Hoskins as a first choice striker. We haven't seen anyone in the stripes this season in a striker role who has his prowess in the air ... nowhere close.

CMS has scored a few headers, but our team is about playing on the ground not lumping it forward for flicked headers etc. No one has shown Murray's defensive aerial ability though.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
CMS has scored a few headers, but our team is about playing on the ground not lumping it forward for flicked headers etc. No one has shown Murray's defensive aerial ability though.

Surely he would thrive on your wingers crosses though??

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I think the key figure is McCarthy who is rather vulnerable under pressure into conceding own goals or penalties if put under pressure. It will be intense at the Amex so I hope he (and the rest) keep their cool.

I don't think any team will be able to control our forwards and wingers, just too much pace, hard work and skill there to dominate. We just have so many options too, with Lua Lua and Buckley coming off the bench on Saturday to prove that and Vicente and Hoskins still to come.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Surely he would thrive on your wingers crosses though??

We've got CMS and Barnes for finishing off in the box. Murray's skills were outside the box in the build up, holding the ball up and flicking it on etc But we have more than adequately replaced that Harley

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011

An on-pitch outburst of violence could trigger big problems after the game.

So cool it fellas...

Agree about the off pitch comments. In regards to Paddy, he's been a rock this year, it's Tunchev that i'm more concerned about but hopefully the Leeds game will be a one off.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I honestly do, fella. As you say, we're both playing well at the moment and both teams will be pumped up. I just think we'll have too much pace up front for you, and what with the form of Murray, I reckon we'll win by the odd goal. It's going to be a cracking night!

I don't think we'll struggle too much with pace to be honest, and has someone else has already seen, we have serious pace up front in our side as well. Everyone seems to have forgotten about Vicente as well, you just know he is either going to be an absolute revelation, or be f***ing shit and be constantly injured. If he is fit, and he does play, he could tear you apart. Whatever happens, I will be suprised if the two games are anything but close.

Not really, it's my opinion. Who would you drop? CMS picks himself so Murray would be one of three for the second spot with Barnes and Hoskins. So he would hardly be first choice, would he?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not by much though is it? I would have taken Pompey to be the nearest in terms of natural coastal rivalry, like Ipswich/Norwich, Cardiff/Swansea.

What coast is involved in the Ipswich/Norwich rivalry then?

Anyway,... its just there,... we are 43 miles from Selhurst and 49 from Fratton,.... but I have no feelings about Pompey other than match day issues,..... just let it flow mate, its in the genes to hate them from Saaarf laandon.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Murray is a chippy northerner. Nothing will get him going more than a ground full of southerners baying for blood. He will be inspired rather than intimidated.

I wonder whether his missus will be going to the game. I wonder what she will think when she realises how many of her nighbours think her husband is a wanker.

Well if he's as moody & miserable at home as he in a football kit, she'll probably join in - with a knowing look on her mush. :thumbsup:

SE25

Banned
Feb 19, 2005
Oh South London...
The more I think about this game, having said we'd win by the odd goal, with all these flair and attack minded players, what's the betting it ends up 0-0?

It can't...can it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here