Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray hands in transfer request...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So without sounding like a dick... will he get booed on his return to the Withdean?:jester:

Depends if he is still out player best not, goes to a northern team then I don't think he should but if goes to Charlton (to pluck a club out of the air) then all is fair

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Depends if he is still out player best not, goes to a northern team then I don't think he should but if goes to Charlton (to pluck a club out of the air) then all is fair

Agreed! Some people will always boo because of the fact he wanted to leave and perhaps did not always look as if he was giving 100%, and some people wont because they will appreciate the goals he scored for us. If he goes somewhere like charlton, or a southern team its fair enough to boo him because it suggests the whole reason for leaving was a lie. If he moves back near to his family then fair play, and i would expect most people would give him some respect.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I'm as dissapointed as the next fan with this news but anyone suggesting Murray will play in the Premier League is deluded.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Yes Murray is a very good player for us and had scored a lot of goals when he played this season but he didn't play enough. we can get a good replacement easily for that money. Also, he seems to lack commitment to the cause and workrate when the goings tough. for example, when he limply gave up when chasing fabian delph through sheer laziness who then had a clear run at goal to score.i dont recall an apology for that from murray so i have yet to forgive him. his lack of commitment to the club who paid a club record and put so much faith in him is poor. Yes muzza is a very good player and i would like him to stay with us but if hes going to be a wanker then he can f*** off and be a wanker up north.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A good player, but by no means another ward or zamora....So i aint bothered he is replaceable and will be replaced. hopefully with someone who wants to play for us so thanks alot,but.....................NEXT

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was in the position to decide I would suggest to him thata compromise be met and that he plays ,proves his worth and we agree to sell him duriong the January window if he still wants to go.

I think this story of his gf cant settle in the south is a little frail as he is a footballer and she should expect to follow him and his career to whereever the needs take him. My wife followed me whenever I wanted to move and that was only to run another pub.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If I was in the position to decide I would suggest to him thata compromise be met and that he plays ,proves his worth and we agree to sell him duriong the January window if he still wants to go.

I think this story of his gf cant settle in the south is a little frail as he is a footballer and she should expect to follow him and his career to whereever the needs take him. My wife followed me whenever I wanted to move and that was only to run another pub.

BG I think thats one of your better posts. Spot on. Being a professional footballer you know that if you are to make it you will need to move around. Same goes for a GF/wife of a player. She would/should have known that when she dated him.

Yes its not easy moving away from familiy and friends, but its part and parcel of that career.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He didn't get on with Dean Wilkins, put in a verbal request after a couple of months, wasn't convinced even when Wilkins was sacked and replaced by Adams last summer.

and seemingly not convinced by Slade either. Maybe he'd like to pick a manager for us?

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Slade praises unsettled Murray
7:30am Tuesday 9th June 2009

Comments (6) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Albion boss Russell Slade has labelled transfer-seeking striker Glenn Murray the best outside the Championship.

Slade is keen to keep hold of the unsettled former Rochdale marksman, who wants to return north.

Murray’s second transfer request in a year will be discussed by new chairman Tony Bloom and his fellow directors at a Board meeting in London today. Slade said: “There is no doubting Glenn’s quality. In my opinion he is the best striker outside of the Championship and I do not want to lose him.

“I want him to be part of my squad for next season and am not under any pressure to sell players.

“Glenn’s statistics show he is a 25 goals-a-season forward and he will be a massive asset for us next season.

“The club made a big investment in the player when he signed last year and, although I understand his reasons for submitting a transfer request, he still has two years left to run on his contract.”

Cumbrian-born Murray became Albion’s most expensive purchase for a quarter of a century when they bought him from Rochdale for £300,000 during the January 2008 transfer window.

He has scored 19 goals in 38 League starts but his prolific spell with the Seagulls has been complicated by both personal and injury problems.

The mother of his baby son failed to settle on the south coast, while ongoing hernia trouble meant he started only one of the last 26 matches last season.

A previous transfer request from Murray last summer was kept under wraps by the club.

Albion may now decide it is not in their best interests to hang onto an unhappy player but they will want, at the very least, to recoup the fee they paid for the highly-rated 25-year-old.

That could scare off potential suitors, who will be wary of his recent inactivity and may prefer to hang fire until the next January transfer window.

Meanwhile, Albion will launch their first team friendly programme with a visit to Havant and Waterlooville on July 14.

They go to FA Trophy winners Stevenage four days later, AFC Wimbledon on July 21, Crawley on July 24 and League Two newcomers Torquay United on July 28.

Preparations will be completed against unconfirmed League opponents on August 1, a week before the start of the season.

The confirmed friendlies all kick-off at 7.45pm, with the exception of Stevenage (3pm).

Maybe he never really really wanted to come here - it was a deal done that Rochdale couldn't turn the money down for and maybe it had nothing to do with Dean Micky or Russell - perhaps he just wants to live near his family - you can understand it with his wife wanting to be near her family with a new baby and him too!!

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
He didn't get on with Dean Wilkins, put in a verbal request after a couple of months, wasn't convinced even when Wilkins was sacked and replaced by Adams last summer.

But the argus say that he put a transfer request in the summer - Dean was sacked on 8.5.08 so that couldn't have been Deans fault he wasn't there - still he has been blamed for things that weren't true when he was there !!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How old are you? It seems a lot of older (often retired) footballers, such as Roy Keane seem to have this attitude. I'm wondering if it's a generational thing. When these guys grew up it was men that ruled the home, and women grew up knowing that too. I've grown up with a rise in strong independent women, career minded women, with relationships being a partnership etc.

I'm late twenties (very late), and imo, you fall in love with a person, not a career, and everybody, footballers, you, me, joe bloogs, all have a choice to make as to what is important in our life; reaching the pinnacle of our chosen profession, a happy relationship with someone (sometimes that is compatible, sometimes it isn't), etc.

Personally, I would prefer a happy relationship with someone who loves me and a moderately successful or mediocre career to a string of failed relationships because I put my career first and made women unhappy by demanding they follow me if they want the relationship to work.

But then a lot of the more independent women in my generation (i.e. not the likes of serial wags who make their career out of dating footballers) would expect their relationships to be give and take.

Someone here said if Glenn Murray was going to make it to the premiership he wouldn't be in league one at this stage of his career, and he will only likely get up there by winning promotion.

I don't know much about his girlfriend, but since she went home to be with family for support raising her kid rather than stay in the cosmopolitan brighton, near london with all those clubs, and a glitzy lifestyle, suggests to me she isn't in the relationship for the WAG title.

Glenn is 25 (I think I saw that as his age here), he has a kid, and is apparently still in love with the kids mother. It is up to Glenn to decide what is important to him; a happy family and a decent career in football, or a broken family and staying with a league one team far away from his kid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand where you are coming from but ina position with a career like he has she knew from the outset that to make any improvement he had either to move to another club or hope that Rochdale would make the premiership. Unless of course she hoped that he would go to Burnley or Bolton or Blackburn so that she could be at her mothers beck and call.

My wife and I moved from Sussex to run a pub in East London, with a young son, so that we could be independant and be a family but still near enough to reach the rest of the family if needed. This was in 1965 when it took 2 hours to drive to Worthing now his gf could fly to Manchester in that time, so she is just as near to her family.

My wife has followed me and my career from day 1 we have been married 44 years so it can be done but unfortunately the youngsters(?) of today cannot work at a marriage or relationship as soon as something goes wrong or slightly amis it is a case of I am leaving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here