Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They just showed a clip of the front row, some young kid, probably at his first festival.

he was tapping his index finger along to the rhythm….
says it all….

people wonder why I like rockabilly & psychobilly and laugh at it….

I wish I was there, tap that kid on the back, and tell him, there’s loads more tents with far more fresh and exciting bands, singers & genres here, go find your thing, this ain’t it.

Jo Whiley in a moment will tell us that “we witnessed something very, very special”.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Same.
Not a big fan generally - not a genre of music I listen to much - but enjoying this set
Well I take that back. At the beginning of the set I was thinking good start, quite mellow, looking forward to it building...
... waited... waited... 😴 agree with others re FF and Grohl

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It’s a good set, perhaps not a festival friendly one, but one I’ve enjoyed.

That being said, they got the balance with the set list and tempo better at Reading last year.

Dec 29, 2011
They just showed a clip of the front row, some young kid, probably at his first festival.

he was tapping his index finger along to the rhythm….
says it all….

people wonder why I like rockabilly & psychobilly and laugh at it….

I wish I was there, tap that kid on the back, and tell him, there’s loads more tents with far more fresh and exciting bands, singers & genres here, go find your thing, this ain’t it.
Please stop telling people how they should act to enjoy music. Maybe the kid is loving it but enjoys music by standing still? People can do what they f***ing want, that's the beauty of art.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe it is me and my age, but this is just a bloody noise!
Ha, I managed about two minutes of the Foo Fighters and came to the conclusion that I have morphed into my father. Just a loud annoying noise fronted by a shouty man :shrug:

The crowd were clearly loving it.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Please stop telling people how they should act to enjoy music. Maybe the kid is loving it but enjoys music by standing still? People can do what they f***ing want, that's the beauty of art.
I was not telling him what to do, the kid looked bored, I was saying there is such a wide interesting spectrum of music at Glastonbury, it’s not always on the main stage, take a wonder.
sorry if it came across that way.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Billy Nomates. Brilliant performance, huge energy, there's a touch of the Ian Curtis about the way she loses herself in the song. Just strange it's mainly to backing tracks. Is that just me hung up on seeing backing musici
Ha, I managed about two minutes of the Foo Fighters and came to the conclusion that I have morphed into my father. Just a loud annoying noise fronted by a shouty man :shrug:

The crowd were clearly loving it.
Never understood the appeal of either the Arctic Monkeys or the Foo Fighters. It's just middle of the road nothingness imho.
As mentioned above, Billy NoMates is a fantastic talent. Great live

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course Reading is middle-class. It's a £300 piss up for 16 year olds who have just got their GCSE results. It's always been middle-class as f*** in my lifetime.

Not the point either. Ultimately, live music is ridiculously expensive at the moment. General admission for All Points East (1 day) is £91 and you get one stage, one headline act and a few bands you've never heard of. £112 for Guns n Roses at Hyde Park or £102 for bloody Take That there and it is one of the worst venues for an outdoor gig. What Glastonbury offers is good value for money: lots of choice in music, food, drink, over 5 full days for £340. Hattie's criticism seemed to be that the price was the main issue around class; "The festival season is upon us. Or, at least, upon those of us with deep pockets. The cost of Glastonbury tickets has, this year, risen from £270 to £340. Who can afford that, you might ask? In brief, the middle aged and middle classed." It's just lazy, pandering rubbish. Literally, just trying to turn people against each other. How can we make our older readers angry about people having fun in a field?
I remember the Mail ran a piece a few years back about how exclusive Glastonbury was because only 120,000 people, out of the hundreds of thousands who applied, got tickets. They’ll find any angle they can to criticize.

Regarding the cost, don’t forget Glastonbury is the only major festival I am aware of which allows you to take in huge amounts of your own booze. £340 for 5 days of such varied and plentiful entertainment without being stitched up for drinks is good value.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Agree, Foo Fighters much more entertaining, Dave Grohl comes across as a really decent bloke. Someone that is cool without trying :smile:
I don't think FF and AM are comparable. I'm an Arctic Monkeys fan and agree it wasn't a great set. I don't understand why Turner croons all the songs, if he wanted to portray himself as a great singer surely he can mix it up, it seemed like alot of the older tracks were slowed down and played in a different key to suit his new singing style or to fit in with their newer sound.

Then again I prefer bands who evolve and every album they have released has been different whereas FF seem to play it safe and just want to rock out, i'm suprised they re-emerged so soon after Hawkins yet just churned out the same stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here