Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury - BBC

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On behalf of us older people, can I just mention that Jackson Browne was excellent. Happy idiots, all of us...

Pleasant suprise to be phoned and told he was on for an hour. Great songchoices as well. Has to be said his voice has pretty much gone though, those high notes just aren't there anymore. Still, really enjoyed it and David Lindley and the band were excellent.

Not much of a crowd to watch him I thought, although I was amazed at the number of young people who were singing along. They must have grown up with parents who brainwashed them..like my kids :lolol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Pleasant suprise to be phoned and told he was on for an hour. Great songchoices as well. Has to be said his voice has pretty much gone though, those high notes just aren't there anymore. Still, really enjoyed it and David Lindley and the band were excellent.

Not much of a crowd to watch him I thought, although I was amazed at the number of young people who were singing along. They must have grown up with parents who brainwashed them..like my kids :lolol:

Yup, all true. BTW, Icy, I'm currently reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Life and Times of Warren Zevon". Interesting to read about Jackson Browne and the other big names that hung around at the start of his career.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yup, all true. BTW, Icy, I'm currently reading "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Life and Times of Warren Zevon". Interesting to read about Jackson Browne and the other big names that hung around at the start of his career.

I've got a cd of an Old Grey Whistle Test from way back where Whispering Bob starts off by saying that this is the performance that he's been looking forward to the most in the series. Warren Zevon is introduced as his guest at the end of the performance and I think he got quite big backing from Browne when starting out?

I'll have to check out that book. Have you heard the album that is my avatar. An absolute must fro fans of Warren Zevon, there are some great cover versions of Zevon songs by all his mates like Jackson and Springsteen.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Have you heard the album that is my avatar. An absolute must fro fans of Warren Zevon, there are some great cover versions of Zevon songs by all his mates like Jackson and Springsteen.

On my wish list. :thumbsup: The documentary about making his final album is also very moving.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Bollocks I missed the Stranglers last night. Were they any good as they were the best live act I have ever seen at the Dome in March this year, they rocked the place to its foundations.

They were AWESOME. I nearly didn't go, as I thought it would be shit without Hugh Cornwell - this would've been the biggest mistake of my gig-going life.

One of my top 3 bands of the weekend.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
On the subject of the BBC coverage, the presenters were/are awful. I am a pretty mild mannered man but if I have to put up with Edith Bowman on the radio or TV ever again I will be throwing it out of my window. How on earth does she continue to get paid for offering absolutely nothing?

BBH

Jul 28, 2004
Tooting Bec
Back home at 10 this morning, just woken up again now. Awesome awesome weekend.

Best: Muse, Dizzee, Scissor Sisters really got the crowd going, Stranglers, Florence, Snoop, Courteeners put on a good show, wasn;t so aware before. Stevie was good for 1st half I saw & then headed for Levellers (seen them better) Wurzels were fun. Whoever was on before Wurzels was very good. Will dig out list later on.

Disappointing: Gorillaz & surprisingly Faithless were a bit underwhelming. Also heard rumours the Strokes were playing & trekked to the Park but it wasn't. Radiohead (or 2 members of, played a secret gig but didn't hear about it until afterwards)

If anyone ever goes in the future, make sure you dig out the Silent Disco after the music finishes. All in (football aside, although for the 2 times we scored it was mental) great great weekend, very lucky with weather. Bring on 2011

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Top stuff from Muse there. And bloody well done to the beeb for showing it uninterupted, no twatty presenters talking, and shitty "arty-farty" camera angles.

To be fair, much as I loathe the BBC presenters as much as the next man - the bits with the presenters in the middle of sets which people normally moan at (eg. the Boss and Blur last year) have to be done as the artists involved don't let their sets be shown in full. That seemed to be relaxed this year!

The BBC coverage is good in that there is a lot of it but almost all the presenters are such twats who have seemingly lost any interest in music other than how well they are treated backstage and who's hot and who's not. Plus, how tedious does it get hearing dickheads like Zane Lowe describing the 'special' Glastonbury atmosphere. I'm sure it's special if you're there but constantly telling us how "all types of people are here" and all the wacky goings on is SO annoying.

Finally, I can't WAIT for The National in Brighton. I was up at 9am on the day the tickets went on sale to get 4, suffering a terrible hangover just to get them!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
For the first time, I didn't see any of the coverage this year. I guess it compounds my growing realisation that I'm actually getting old. :down:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I got bored of Gorillaz very early into their set, they didn't really seem to have any presence on stage, which is a shame as Albarn is normally v good.

Dizzee's set was brilliant, Florence was great (as you'd expect). V impressed with Mumford and Sons and Vampire Weekend - so much that I bought both albums after their set!!
For some reason, I'm well into VW these days. I say for some reason because when I first saw them (about 3 years ago, backing The Shins) they were absolute wank. Nowadays they seem solid live.

Not seen much on here about the performance of Editors. I've just seen it on the beeb site (38 mins!!) and they were quality as usual, ending with Papillon. I absolutely love that track admittedly, but I'd still recommend taking a look.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gorillaz were okay - they are clearly quality musically (stuff like Empire Ants is amazing) and I disagree that they don't have enough hits -Clint Eastwood, 19/2000, Feel Good Inc., DARE, Dirty Harry and Stylo are enough to intersperse n a set. It seemd likea bitof a weird atmosphere though - they didn't seem to really get going until the last two songs.

The small bit of Flaming Lips on the red button was amazing - would definetely have watched them. Also liked Hot Chip.

Hot Chip were superb and played as the sun set on the Other stage. I loved the way they reworked Over and Over...crowd were all dancing like loons where I was. Excellent stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, much as I loathe the BBC presenters as much as the next man - the bits with the presenters in the middle of sets which people normally moan at (eg. the Boss and Blur last year) have to be done as the artists involved don't let their sets be shown in full. That seemed to be relaxed this year!

The BBC coverage is good in that there is a lot of it but almost all the presenters are such twats who have seemingly lost any interest in music other than how well they are treated backstage and who's hot and who's not. Plus, how tedious does it get hearing dickheads like Zane Lowe describing the 'special' Glastonbury atmosphere. I'm sure it's special if you're there but constantly telling us how "all types of people are here" and all the wacky goings on is SO annoying.

Finally, I can't WAIT for The National in Brighton. I was up at 9am on the day the tickets went on sale to get 4, suffering a terrible hangover just to get them!

I like Zane Lowe. He might talk very fast but his heart is well and truly in the right place IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hot Chip were superb and played as the sun set on the Other stage. I loved the way they reworked Over and Over...crowd were all dancing like loons where I was. Excellent stuff.

Also LCD Soundsystem were brilliant...and Mr Murphy has developed into a highly amusing and credible front man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here