Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving up on the Albion (part 1)

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not wanting to pay for a few PPV games does not equal abandoning the club.

As for Project Restart, I am assuming the club are against it.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Come on then, pin your colours to the mast

Who is giving up on the Albion and why?

A small number of posters on other threads (eg Lewes FC and £14.95 PPV) seem to have had enough and will be going elsewhere to get their football fix

Never, ever give up ! Was that Nike advert once ?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I think its like most break ups which are forced upon you. First 6 months - terrible, can't live without him/her. Next 3 months - not quite so painful. 9 months + - completely over it, got other things to do.

How longs it been so far? 6 months? We're all approaching the tipping point.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
You've given up on the Albion because Sky/BT are offering all clubs PPV option and Rick Parry/Liverpool/United are greedy and power crazed? Or because you can't go the ground anymore because of Covid/Government restrictions? #BarberOut

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Will never give up in them, but we are plagued with the striker problem season in and season out.
Can't something be done about it ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Never. I've enjoyed grassroots football during this situation and I think I will continue with that when I can once we are back at the Amex. Albion will always be my team though

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I won't be paying £15 for every game. But I will be listening to JC and Warren for every game that I don't.
Nothing has changed in that regard.

I hope that Pay per view is a financial flop though.
If it is here to stay, it will only further strengthen the Top 6 (and Leeds)

I

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I miss the Albion so much.

I was ok with how last season finished.
I was also fine getting off to a slow start.

But the open ended nature of the current stalemate while seemingly the world and his wife can do what they damn well please, is getting right on my tits.

I want to see Lamptey.
I want to see Maupay.
I want my seat
I want a pie.

I want the AMEX.

So I guess you can put me down as a maybe. :jester:

As a poem I think the fourth line needs some work!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I will never stop “ supporting “ the club however after 46 years, my days are up now and I will be trying hard to obtain a refund on my outstanding season ticket monies they hold.

I tend to agree with the post above regarding the last few years of premier football. The main reason I used to go, on my own, was to see nates around where I used to sit... I can’t see that returning for years!

Yes we gave the best team we have ever had, but I don’t associate myself with any of the players apart from Dunk. The team we have appears to be a travelling circus with players coming and going who with all the kissing if the badge will move on to somewhere else at the drop of a hat Not sure the days of having a Dunk who has been at your club for years in your team will come back

So yes, with all of this I have finally fallen out of love with football in general not just us, but I will try to get to local league if that means meeting up with old mates from the gillingham and withdean days and of course Amex people.

It’s been a blast and I have enjoyed it but when BAG moved on a bit if me went with it

I will try and get a ticket at some point in the future but I have now more important things to do as I play golf 4/5 days a week

Dave.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I gave up my ST this year for financial reasons but I've still got my blue and white tinted specs on. I don't feel like I'll ever stop being Albion.

That being said - football, as an entity, is a f**king farce. Clubs going out of business for sums that some players earn in two weeks make me think the whole crumbling edifice should be torn down.

I didn't feel this way before we got into the PL funnily enough.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not wanting to pay to top dollar to watch the Albion in a sterile stadium, or on an expensive PPV, is different from giving up on the Albion. Surely those disenfranchised with the whole PL/modern football thing that might give up a season ticket because of it will still support the Albion and follow results etc? Just because they're walking away from the money grabbing bollocks it doesn't mean the Albion won't be in their hearts.

Personally, like lots of others so far, I'm feeling a bit disillusioned with the PL right now and have been enjoying local non-league football. However if covid disappeared tomorrow and we were allowed back to the Amex for matches I'd be there in a shot.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No indeed. Not the club's idea. Of course not.

So what would be your plan?

Every October I see the leaves fall off my plum tree, but I doubt they'd stay on if I shouted really loudly, or refused to mow the lawn.

Are you bracketing in The Albion with the Big Business you feel are emptying their colons on us? Is are the Albion just a ManU gimp?

Anyway, the working man can find his opium wherever the price is least. My football club represents more than opium for working men to me.

I'd love to be in a pub with you, now arguing the toss and eventually reaching a concensus. Yah booing on NSC is a poor substitute. :shrug:

With best wishes, as always :thumbsup:.

Perhaps my post was incompletely expressed for the sake of a soundbite. Which I'd have probably done in a pub too.

The point is, the Albion are a big business these days but they are OUR big business (which I think answers the OP). I don't believe for a second that Paul Barber woke up one morning and decided that £15 was the ideal PPV price point and that weekends were now only for the big boys and our games should occur when most people are still working. So, if by "defending the club" you simply mean that you feel we had no choice but to accept I have a fair bit of sympathy. But if you are seeking to defend yet more money being demanded of people in this crisis and, oh, can I have an hour off work please boss so I can get six of us together to pay for it, then I feel I need to push back.

Giving up on our club is a little bit silly but they are not beyond criticism. However, they are very, very far below Sky, the Premier League and Liverpool / Man U on my shit list at the moment.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
In my experience, people who lose interest in football aren't going to announce it, they'll just... drift away.

I'm on a hobbyist forum and find when people go to the bother of making a post saying they're quitting the hobby because of XY and Z that they usually get back into it in a few months. It's the folks that gradually do it less and less until one day they just can't be bothered any more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will never stop supporting but can see myself giving up going to every home game. Will that make me a PL armchair fan? I think it will

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
In our darkest hour, facing extinction I and many friends discussed what we'd do when the Albion are no more. Some thought of alternative clubs, but I decided that I'd just abandon football all together. Then Steve Grit came and we survived. Now we have the best squad, stadium, kit ever! I've watched Walthamstow play recently and as much fun as it was, I spent the whole time checking the Brighton score or transfer news.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have been on a long tearful, painful, anxiety ridden journey with the Albion, starting at the goldstone and just because we have finally reached our current destination to the the land of milk and money it does not mean our journey is over. Every platform we have stopped at brought its own problems from the long arduous trawl to Gillingham to sitting in the rain division eight..... oh so many sighs, oh so many sleepless nights, oh so many screams of “just git rid of the feckin ball” , oh so many gasps of amazement when Bobby & Glenn ruled the roost, oh so many happy memories to cherish forever, oh so many more to come.

Never, Never, Never give up.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
As the great Rick Astley says :-

We've known each other for so long
Your heart's been aching but you're too shy to say it
Inside we both know what's been going on
We know the game and we're gonna play it
And if you ask me how I'm feeling
Don't tell me you're too blind to see

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down