Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Given the economy is his alleged chosen field

Feb 14, 2010
Has anybody else got to the stage that they are beyond caring?

yep years ago. They really are all as bloody useless and fiddling their expenses together. Only 3 got prosecuted and the speaker who tried to cover it up went to the House of Lords.Then ex ministers tout themselves around selling access to government to the highest bidder. We are just like a tin pot banana republic.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The failing parts allowed to fail?! Then they would have ALL gone bust one after eachother and we would be a third world country right now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
why? Your mortgage would have been sold as an asset, well if the bank hat sold it to you still owns that mortgage, which if sold a few years ago is quite unlikely if you get it from one of the major high street banks. And selling gold in a boom? What a complete idiot, well unless he was selling it to a mate of his and with our MP's I wouldnt put it past them.

Hassocks, Ringmer, Rye, which one of you is missing an idiot?

The banks were 12 hours from the BACS and ATM system ceasing to work, which meant that you would not have received your salary (although I'll make an exception for you if the newsagent pays you in cash for your round), direct debits, standing orders, NOTHING would have taken place, and it would have been a f***ing disaster.

IMO Brown may have undeservedly taken the credit for it, but frankly no one apart from a complete idiot (and sadly George Osborne) would have done any different. There was no choice.

Feb 14, 2010
The failing parts allowed to fail?! Then they would have ALL gone bust one after eachother and we would be a third world country right now.

No, the failing elements of the banking sector fail and those that gambled on the mortgages, such as hedge Funds fail. The successful elements of the banking sector remains strong, hence banks are making big profits and the city is ticking along nicely at the moment and is as usual ahead of the curve from the rest of the economy. The City took Brown (ie the taxpayer) to the cleaners. He made the wrong call

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gordon Brown's decisive actions during the recession stopped the cashpoints drying up and the supermarkets being looted and the country being put on curfew. THAT's how close we were to financial meltdown.

no we weren't. he only applied the medicine the markets and economists told him he had to apply - the same as every other country did at the time. really, its clucthing at straws to suggest he led us from the precipice of doom

And it wasn't of Labour's making.

of course not, he only set up the regulatory framework that was completely oblivious to what was going on under their nose, failed to respond sufficiently to the klaxon that was Northern Rock, and had spent 10 years paying for everything on tick fueling the debt bubble himself. its quite desperate to try to spin Brown as some sort of saviour when being so anti-Blair, they are both part of the same govenment for 10 years and since Blair left so did any trace of actual leadership.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Hassocks, Ringmer, Rye, which one of you is missing an idiot?

The banks were 12 hours from the BACS and ATM system ceasing to work, which meant that you would not have received your salary (although I'll make an exception for you if the newsagent pays you in cash for your round), direct debits, standing orders, NOTHING would have taken place, and it would have been a f***ing disaster.

IMO Brown may have undeservedly taken the credit for it, but frankly no one apart from a complete idiot (and sadly George Osborne) would have done any different. There was no choice.

you my friend obviously dont work in the city. and yep I do and yep im still working class

entente cordiale

Nov 12, 2005
Can Gordon Brown turn Thursday night's debate into the turning point of this election?

Let's hope so because Lord Snooty and pals would be an absolute disaster for most of us.
Minimum wage, massive investment in schools and hospitals, decisive action to stave off a 30s style recession when the bankers f***ed up: an economic record to be fairly proud of and certainly not what we would have had if the Tories had been in power. 'New Labour' has made many blunders - notably Iraq war, not being positive enough in redistribution of wealth during the boom years and worshipping private enterprise with PFI etc., all instances of them adopting broadly Conservative approaches in fact - but we can be sure that the economic growth and improvement of public services would not have occured under a Major/ Hague/ Howard/ Duncan Smith/ Cameron regime.
Incidentally, let's not forget the Tory nimbys who opposed our return to Brighton in 1999 and the Liberals of Lewes who did all they could to block Falmer.

Feb 14, 2010
Goldmans eh? Who has been a naughty boy then? Brown didnt have to pile in as he did, surely you now the city is doing very nicely thanks at the moment and brown was taken for a ride. The losses were underwritten for fck all in return. Bad deal. the failing city should have had a p45 and the successful city would have had value. Yep seure the money supply in the short term ut the long term nationalisation was an expensive mistake wit no return for jo blogs in the street

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gordon Brown's decisive actions during the recession stopped the cashpoints drying up and the supermarkets being looted and the country being put on curfew. THAT's how close we were to financial meltdown. And it wasn't of Labour's making.

I am sorry Tom but this " nothing to do with me guv " mantra that Brown has repeated for 2 years is bollocks and seems to have fooled a lot of people.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So do I you prick - think about it...............

I could go on but i cannot be arsed.

Come on does he desreve that even if I disagree with him on this. Show some respect. Tom is infact is a crackingly decent bloke. I think an apology is in order.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Tom maybe no IS a sweaty but he is also a decent bloke so does not deserve to be called a prick.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Come on does he desreve that even if I disagree with him on this. Show some respect. Tom is infact is a crackingly decent bloke. I think an apology is in order.

Cheers Uncle, but don't worry about it, sort of the level of debate you expect from Thatcher's Children nowadays. Heaven forbid they should ever be arsed to vote. Then the country really would be in deep shit :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here