Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Girlfriend funds Archer - dilemma

My girlfriend bought a table from FOCUS DIY. What do I do now?

• Relax - all that silly Archer stuff was years ago

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Dump the table

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Dump the girlfriend

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Dump the girlfriend AND the table as there won't be any dinners to put on it when she's gone

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
my ex girlfriend knowing it was out of bounds bought bits and pieces from there but told me she got them from b & q until after we split up! bitch!!!

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I'd paint "Bill Archer is a thief" on the table top, in bright red (with a Focus bag taped to it) and leave it somewhere near the Goldstone, so the traffic could see it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Phaedrus said:
I read that too quick at first and thought it said "Girlfriend fucks Archer - dilemma".

He's already f***ed thirty thousand Albion fans - so I wouldn't put it past him.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It has to be a big and bold gesture to fully demonstrate the genuine horror of having such a thing in the house.

For me, a big bonfire in the back garden with the table and chairs on top would suffice. As you then trudge out to Ikea looking for a new set of table and chairs, you can keep repeating to her that the first set "weren't much of a bargain considering they HAD to be destroyed."

How do you fund the extra expense of the Ikea shopping trip? Well that money has to come out of what you'd put aside for her birthday / Xmas.

One final step should be that SHE donates £250 to the club to have YOUR name on a seat at Falmer.

Job done. :thumbsup:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
This is reminiscent of Eve ( your girlfriend ) tempting Adam ( you ) with the forbidden fruit ( table ) in the Garden of Eden ( your house ).

You should tell her that she faces banishment from the Garden, and that you will now refer to her as ' the evil temptress ' !

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
trueblue said:
Does that mean they have no ties with Archer any more?

It's the other way round. Wickes belongs to the Focus group, which is still owned by Bill Archer (though there has been speculation for ages that it's going to float, so Archer will no longer own it. He'll still make SHIT loads of money from it though.

Interesting fact for fact fans... Bill Archer bought Wickes on the same day that Dick Knight bought Matthew Wicks.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
I think the question you need to ask here is who actually paid for the table??? did she use the joint account??? in which case you could have actually paid for it!!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
H2O said:
I think the question you need to ask here is who actually paid for the table??? did she use the joint account??? in which case you could have actually paid for it!!!!

No joint account, so I am in the clear.

The Focus-Wickes link with Archer still involved means there is simply no loophole she can use...

I'm afraid I will have to sharpen my axe for this evening ..

(for the table, obviously).

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
You're right, the table has to go, but I think you should give your girlfriend another chance. Partners don't always realise the depth of anti-Archer feeling.
A couple of years ago, hubby and I had spent almost week choosing a Wickes' kitchen. Just before we put the deposit down, I was told that Archer's podgy fingers were in the Wickes pie and I cancelled the whole thing. Admittedly, there was some initial marital discord, mainly due to the wasted time, but we made up, bought a kitchen from MFI and lived happily ever after.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I would f*%k her something rotten on that table as that what the wanker did to us

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
buy wanker I did not mean your missus by the way :blush:

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Relax dear, it's only a table!

winner.jpg

(yes I know thats old)

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Take it outside one of its stores with a giant poster of Belloti on top and BURN BABY BURN!

*in the likley event off you getting arrested, I will not be held responsable and will NOT be paying for your bail*

Dawsey

Apr 25, 2004
Brighton
This story reminds me of when my parents decided to go to DFS on the Goldstone Ground to buy a new sofa. I didn't know we were stopping there, but when they turned the corner I vertially jumped out of the car to avoid going there again.

They bought a sofa there as well, I tried my best to stop it but to no avail. I do my best to sit on it as little as possible.

When I worked for East Sussex County Council, Focus/Wickes were involved in developing an industrial estate on the outskirts of Hailsham.

Wealden District Council, the planning authority, were involved in negotiating a deal with One-Eyed Bill's company that was intended to improve public transport access in Hailsham - WDC made this a condition of the planning permission.

Since I managed the budget for public transport improvements, the Focus/Wickes money should have come to me to spend. Stupidly, Wealden handed the money over to Hailsham Town Council instead, who used it for god knows what. I was supposed to complain about this, but "for reasons I can't quite remember", I forgot.

All I can say is that the thought of spending Archer's money turned my stomach. But I never had to.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The table won't last long anyway.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
take the table back,demand a refund and iff you ever have to move up north remember satan rules at focus wicks AND great mills.please dont forget his pet shopsturnover

from the focus website

. Through its Focus and Wickes branded stores, the Group offers an extensive range of home improvement products to both DIY and trade customers. This dual brand approach is unique in the UK DIY Market and allows the Group to access the broader UK Repairs, Maintenance, Improvement Market. Following a number of acquisitions, as at 30 October 2003, the Group operated 270 Focus stores, 158 Wickes stores and one Wickes Extra format, with a total of approximately 13 million square feet of net selling space (including 2.2 million square feet of outdoor selling space).

Focus aims to be the store of choice and convenience for DIY and gardening products in each of its local markets. Focus stores target DIY customers seeking to undertake light home improvement and maintenance projects and offer a comprehensive range of DIY and gardening products. These stores are well distributed nationally, with a significant portion located in smaller towns, where Focus stores trade most profitably. The Group's strategy for the location of its Focus stores is to open new stores principally in similar smaller town locations.

Wickes is an established brand within the UK DIY Market and is highly differentiated from its competitors. Wickes stores are designed to appeal to serious DIY customers, who carry out more complex projects, and tradesmen, who undertake general repairs, maintenance and improvement projects for households. These customers are more demanding in terms of service, quality and price. The Directors believe that Wickes meets these expectations by offering a targeted range of primarily own brand, competitively priced home improvement products, with particular emphasis on building products, such as timber, bricks and cement. In addition, Wickes stores offer a range of kitchens, conservatories, bathrooms and bedrooms, which are sold through in-store showrooms. The Group's key objectives for its Wickes business are to achieve broader coverage in its target market and for Wickes to be established as the destination store for home improvement.

Financials

For the 2002 Financial Year the Group’s sales were £1,585 million.

History of the Group

In 1987, Bill Archer and a former business partner acquired Choice DIY Limited, a small DIY retailer with six stores in the Midlands and the North. This was followed by the acquisition of the Focus chain of six DIY stores in 1988. Following this acquisition, all stores in the Group were rebranded ''Focus DIY''.

Between 1988 and 1998, the Company had substantial organic growth, expanding from its base of 12 stores to 72 stores. Subsequently, in view of the changing dynamics of the UK DIY Market, the Group decided to increase its size and scale in order to compete more effectively with larger, national DIY retailers. As a result, in 1998, the Group substantially expanded its national presence by acquiring Do It All (Holdings) Limited for approximately £60 million. At the time, Do It All (Holdings) Limited was the UK's fourth largest DIY chain in terms of turnover, with 139 stores. Following this acquisition, the Group rebranded its stores as ''Focus Do It All'' (''FDIA'') and became one of the largest DIY retailers in the UK, with 210 stores.

In 2000, the Group expanded into the heavy DIY segment through the acquisition of Wickes plc, which at the time was the third largest retailer in the UK DIY market in terms of turnover, with 131 stores. Wickes has had a long trading history in the UK DIY Market with its first store opened in 1972. The acquisition was completed in September 2000 for a total consideration of approximately £300 million.

In December 2000, the Group further strengthened its position in the light DIY segment by acquiring the business of Great Mills for approximately £300 million. At the time, Great Mills was the United Kingdom's fourth largest DIY retailer in terms of turnover, with 98 stores. The Great Mills business was geographically complementary to the FDIA business, with minimal store overlap and a similar strategy of locating stores in smaller towns.

Since the Great Mills acquisition, all of the former FDIA and Great Mills stores (other than the seven ''No-Frills'' discount stores and one PetWorld store) have been rebranded ''Focus'', while the Wickes stores continue to operate under the brand name ''Wickes''.
Over the last 15 years, the Group has emerged as one of the leaders in the UK DIY Market, with a strong position in, and broad coverage of, the UK RMI Market. The management team of Duke Street Capital have been involved with the Group since 1988, and funds managed by Duke Street Capital and the former employer of its management team (Hambro European Ventures Limited) have invested in the Group since 1988, providing funding for each of the Group's significant acquisitions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer

Information about this website

Accuracy .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here