Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giffgaff

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When I have a simple problem I do not expect to have to fart about getting round it. A simple question should get a straight answer eventually I did get a full refund but I would not recommend GiffGaff as the 'Goody Bags' miss out certain information the 'unlimited free texts' are UK only, pity they don't mention that anywhere.

I'd have thought that was pretty obvious and is certainly the same with any other network. I have a friend in Sri Lanka, who I text occassionaly but I don't expect my texts to her to be included in my free ones.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4126946 said:
If I switch over to them, can I keep my old number then ?

yes you can, you will need to call your current provider and ask for your PUK code (as you would with any provider when leaving and keeping the same number) Then when you activate your giffgaff simcard you can go on the website and do it all on there. You can select a date that you want your numbers to swap over (although you can't select the next day, you have to give them a few days notice to arrange it) Worth remembering though that for a few days you will have a different number whilst you wait for it to change!

yes you can, you will need to call your current provider and ask for your PUK code (as you would with any provider when leaving and keeping the same number) Then when you activate your giffgaff simcard you can go on the website and do it all on there. You can select a date that you want your numbers to swap over (although you can't select the next day, you have to give them a few days notice to arrange it) Worth remembering though that for a few days you will have a different number whilst you wait for it to change!

f*** me.... sounds alright this. Might just have to do it as my orange contract runs out soon although I was thinking of going over to their sim only £10 p/m deal when it expires anyway. Can't afford no flashy handset anyway :(

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4126956 said:
f*** me.... sounds alright this. Might just have to do it as my orange contract runs out soon although I was thinking of going over to their sim only £10 p/m deal when it expires anyway. Can't afford no flashy handset anyway :(

Please please get as far away from orange as you can, they are a f***ing joke (also they limit their internet usage)

That link again, free 5 quid credit if you order a sim through it :)

Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd have thought that was pretty obvious and is certainly the same with any other network. I have a friend in Sri Lanka, who I text occassionaly but I don't expect my texts to her to be included in my free ones.

I wasn't given an option. In fact I have just moved to Lebra and the process was far more straight forward, their web site has no small (make that invisible) print. Same price less hassle. If there are ANY restrictions on any deal on any item then they should be displayed clearly. Oh, and I have just switched my number, another painless process.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Please please get as far away from orange as you can, they are a f***ing joke (also they limit their internet usage)

That link again, free 5 quid credit if you order a sim through it :)

Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff

I've just left Orange, I haven't been able to top up online since they merged with T Mobile despite my many attempts to get them to do something, their customer service is non existent (I told that they were 'shit' by somebody working in an Orange store).

I've just left Orange, I haven't been able to top up online since they merged with T Mobile despite my many attempts to get them to do something, their customer service is non existent (I told that they were 'shit' by somebody working in an Orange store).

Whereas I've never had a problem with Orange (been with them for the best part of 10 years), and about 6 months ago got an absolutely CRACKING deal when I renewed my contract. Customer service with loads of companies seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, it all depends on whether you get lucky or not.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whereas I've never had a problem with Orange (been with them for the best part of 10 years), and about 6 months ago got an absolutely CRACKING deal when I renewed my contract. Customer service with loads of companies seems to vary on a case-by-case basis, it all depends on whether you get lucky or not.

Well I can only say that I agree with the bloke in the Orange shop !

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I wasn't given an option. In fact I have just moved to Lebra and the process was far more straight forward, their web site has no small (make that invisible) print. Same price less hassle. If there are ANY restrictions on any deal on any item then they should be displayed clearly. Oh, and I have just switched my number, another painless process.

To be honest I'd never heard of them, I've just checked them out and I can't see how they are better than giffgaff? Genuine question for comparison purposes - Do they have unlimited internet/texts? Do you get a better deal for your 10 quid top up per month? Do they allow you to send texts abroad from your free texts? Do you even get free texts??? In fact do they do 'bundles' at all??

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I have briefly read the 4 pages here but have a question that i may have missed. I currently have a iPhone 3gs, does this free internet that you get with Giffgaff run on the 3g network or is it only on wap?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I have briefly read the 4 pages here but have a question that i may have missed. I currently have a iPhone 3gs, does this free internet that you get with Giffgaff run on the 3g network or is it only on wap?

You can use the 3g/2g signal for as much internet data as you like, there is no limit what so ever. The ONLY thing you can't do is use your mobile as a modem for your PC (called tethering)

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
You can use the 3g/2g signal for as much internet data as you like, there is no limit what so ever. The ONLY thing you can't do is use your mobile as a modem for your PC (called tethering)

Ok, well i'll definitely look into this when my contract runs out, which i think is around August time. Thanks for the info.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so who's network is the GiffGaff lot using?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shame, their 3G network appears pretty poor coverage outside major cities.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
To be honest I'd never heard of them, I've just checked them out and I can't see how they are better than giffgaff? Genuine question for comparison purposes - Do they have unlimited internet/texts? Do you get a better deal for your 10 quid top up per month? Do they allow you to send texts abroad from your free texts? Do you even get free texts??? In fact do they do 'bundles' at all??

The only reason that they're better is that they give more details, pricewise there's no difference. To be honest I was looking around as I couldn't get any sense out of Orange and was on the verge of going back to O2.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
The only reason that they're better is that they give more details, pricewise there's no difference. To be honest I was looking around as I couldn't get any sense out of Orange and was on the verge of going back to O2.

Ok I studied that Lebara's website and I cant see anywhere where you can buy a 'bundle' for example on Orange you get Dolphin, O2 do Simplicity and GiffGaff do the Goody Bags.

To send a text message costs 10p, do that 100 times and you've lost your 10 pound credit!

The internet - Internet (first 10MB / day) FREE but after that it's Internet (after first 10MB) 15p per MB? GiffGaff is free internet all day long!

Calls to other mobiles, Lebara 10p - GiffGaff 8p!

Lebara picture messaging, 45p to send one - GiffGaff it's 16p, nearly two thirds cheaper!

Compare the prices yourself here

Pay As You Go Tariffs | International Call Rates | Lebara Mobile

Unlimited Texts | Free Calls and Mobile Internet | giffgaff

If I've missed something please tell me, seriously, and do Lebara do the free international text messages that turned you off from GiffGaff?

Also worth remembering that GiffGaff pricing becomes irrelevant if you buy a goody bag because you get free internet/texts/calls anyway!

Last edited:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
My Sim has arrived, i'm waiting on pay day and the new phone (so the end part of this week) before using it since i've got free texts and 100mb of internet till the 28th.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My sim is now activated Bez. Got my free credit and i presume you have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here