Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Going to be really easy to jump on the train at Newhaven for Falmer. 15 mins travel time and your at the ground, brilliant. Even less if your travelling from Brighton station.

Do you know if the train companies are going to be putting more trains on?

D

Deleted User X18H

No there are going to be hardly any trains on match days. Train drivers are going to sit at platforms 7 & 8 at Brighton station and at Lewes with their arms folded, just shaking their heads and saying nope, when the guard blows his whistle. (or whatever he does)

Gawd sake! What do you think? Really.

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
Only one extra trian from Brighton direct to Falmer, which will then run empty to Seaford. Will wait there until end of the game return to Falmer and on to Brighton. Hope the bars will be open after the game otherwise may be quite crowded on the way home!

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
It would make sense the put more services on match days but then sense and railway companies don't always mix well.

D

Deleted User X18H

Only one extra train from Brighton direct to Falmer, which will then run empty to Seaford. Will wait there until end of the game return to Falmer and on to Brighton. Hope the bars will be open after the game otherwise may be quite crowded on the way home!

Both lines from Brighton to Lewes are reversible. Therefore shuttle trains can nip back and forth on the same track.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It would make sense the put more services on match days but then sense and railway companies don't always mix well.

Total bollox as it has been done to death and only a certain amount of trains can be put on in a certain amount of time therefore it will be full capacity.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
No there are going to be hardly any trains on match days. Train drivers are going to sit at platforms 7 & 8 at Brighton station and at Lewes with their arms folded, just shaking their heads and saying nope, when the guard blows his whistle. (or whatever he does)

Gawd sake! What do you think? Really.

Jesus, sometimes I wonder why I bother coming to this forum. Sorry I asked.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Only one extra trian from Brighton direct to Falmer, which will then run empty to Seaford. Will wait there until end of the game return to Falmer

How will that work?

Seaford is single track, are they really going to have an empty train blocking up Seaford Station for most of a Saturday afternoon?

If they're going to park it somewhere down there, surely Newhaven Marine or whatever that thing is called is the only choice.

D

Deleted User X18H

Jesus, sometimes I wonder why I bother coming to this forum. Sorry I asked.

Ok apologies. But there are obviously going to be extra transport links to the stadium.

I mean they do it at Preston Park for Withdean. They will definitely do it at Falmer for 20000+

Mind you its going to take some working out.

D

Deleted User X18H

How will that work?

Seaford is single track, are they really going to have an empty train blocking up Seaford Station for most of a Saturday afternoon?

If they're going to park it somewhere down there, surely Newhaven Marine or whatever that thing is called is the only choice.

Newhaven Harbour. I imagine they will run it Lewes then run it back as a normal service. Then repeat the process at the end of the match. However I still reckon they will run trains up and down the same track. And introduce a change a Lewes scenario for those travelling from further east to Brighton.

Last edited:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Both lines from Brighton to Lewes are reversible. Therefore shuttle trains can nip back and forth on the same track.

Is this a wind-up? If not, it's complete bollocks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Trains are definitely going to be THE major issue at Falmer and maybe one the NIMBYs could have caught us out on if they were smart enough. Oh well, they weren't, too late now, ha ha. Things like weekend engineering works, segregation of home/away fans, evening matches with the occasional cup match going to extra time/penalties. It's all going to need some drastic measures that may well be in place but haven't yet been publicised. Fully expecting to have to walk back into town after some evening games. Small price to pay tho eh? Bring it ON! :amex:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Newhaven Harbour. However I still reckon they will run trains up ans down the same track.

Newhaven Marine, And if you think they are going to run trains up & down the same track between Brighton and Falmer i'm glad your not in charge of running the trains.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there

No there not. Trains can travel in one direction only between Brighton & Lewes. Unless they installed Bi directional signalling whilst I was at work last night!! We maintain the signalling through there. It's definately single direction only.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Is this a wind-up? If not, it's complete bollocks.

No it's not. I have seen trains run in either direction on both tracks. I used to live under the viaduct (in a house not a box:lolol:) Look at the way the signals are positioned. I am not saying this is definitely a 100% what they will do but, but it is certainly a possibility.

D

Deleted User X18H

Newhaven Marine, And if you think they are going to run trains up & down the same track between Brighton and Falmer i'm glad your not in charge of running the trains.

Actually I am Chris Burchall every other Wednesday. It is possible to do though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok apologies. But there are obviously going to be extra transport links to the stadium.

I mean they do it at Preston Park for Withdean. They will definitely do it at Falmer for 20000+

Mind you its going to take some working out.

How difficult can it actually be? You make it sound like it's some sort of logistical nightmare. No wonder the wrong rain/snow/leaves brings the whole shooting match to a standstill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here