Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get These Extra 2000 Seats In. THEN Ask Us For Money!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
kinkygerbil said:
qpr, no offence are along with us are one of the small sides in this league at the moment and they would bring down 2000 so most clubs will

I don't think size is an issue - I wouldn't call Q.P.R. small either.

Sunderland are bigger than Q.P.R. but they wouldn't bring 2,000 to Withdean!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
No offence taken kinky!

If I'm honest, in this division, I think we are one of the smaller clubs. Even when we were in this division last time around, looking at the average attendance we were in the lower half, maybe even lower third, averaging around 13-14000.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
The amount of cynicism being devoted here to rubbishing the club's request......I wonder what the outcome would be if people just got stuck in fund-raising with the same amount of verve and energy?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Re: Re: Get These Extra 2000 Seats In. THEN Ask Us For Money!

The Large One said:

I am afraid (do correct me if you think I am wrong, Tom - and I will apologise if I am) that you appear to have given in to the sense of frustration that we are ALL feeling about almost every facet of off-field activity associated with the club at present.

Sadly, I think this is a common feeling amongst a lot of fans young and old, how much can one set of fans take in pursuit of a simple saturday past-time?

Two people stopping the new seats ( errr, wheres the democracy in that?), a handful of Nimbys holding sway over tens of thousands ( wheres the bloody democracy there?)...

If a bloody hotel/office block/block of flats were the issue, they would already be occupied, or a new reception centre for illegal immigrants, but no, the working mans past-time..... no chance.

I cant help it, but I am demoralized.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Shocking idea to yet again make the fans pay for everything grrrrr,just when will it all end is so pathetic its unreal.Its the fans that keep this club going,but just how much more do the board want for fucks sake.

Bloody amatures the lot of em:angry: :censored:

The criticism from Tom and others directed at the club and board members is totally wrong.

They've pursued these extra 2,000 seats, which will go mainly to away fans, with the utmost of their abilities.

The problem began in February time when Tory councillor for Patcham, Brian Pidgeon, started a campaign against the P&R at Carden Avenue. This then whipped up another set of Tory councillors in Withdean to oppose the extension of seats for their usual NIMBY grounds.

These are the real culprits, not the club, and it is very sad that Tom and others on here are suggesting otherwise.

The council bureacracy are not to blame either, they showed their pro-Albion colours when facing down the Little Withdeaners in 1998, so if Tom is suggesting council officers are at fault, he is wrong there too.

The problem is with the Tory group that is likely to support their colleagues in Patcham and Withdean, and, with the Greens and the Liberal Democrats having no record of sympathy for the club, there is no political majority on the council to force controversial pro-Albion schemes through any more.

There are two lots of people to blame here, Tom.

Firstly, the Brighton Tory Party, enemies of the Albion, always have been, always will be.

And secondly, a clueless electorate that denied a pro-Albion Labour Party a majority on the council in last year's elections.

We do have problems right now but I would appeal for fans not to turn on the club and its directors but support them in their brave struggle to lift us out of our current financial difficulties.

Last edited:

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Is the idea for these extra seats still to put them at behind the hammer net? (Well that end anyway) and these would be allocated to away fans? If nothing else it would increase the atmosphere as they would be closer (Well as close as you can get at Withdean) to the "singing" section...who....if could hear the away fans would sing up to drown 'em out.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
L.i. is right again. I don't think it's just a case of Pull your Finger Out Knight, if the seats were easily obtainable then we would have had them ages ago, it all seems so easy to us fans but once councils and planning applications get involved then it's anything but.

The Large One said:
Plus there are other clubs who have been to Withdean already, and might appreciate the better view that they would be given.

If only that were true. Where the away fans would go is considerabley further from the pitch than they currently are.

London Irish said:
these extra 2,000 seats, which will go mainly to away fans

Also incorrect. 1,000 seats will be built into the grass bank at the West end of Withdean for away fans, while the other 1,000 will be be used to complete the 'bowl' effect for home fans at the East end.

Safeway said:
Also incorrect. 1,000 seats will be built into the grass bank at the West end of Withdean for away fans, while the other 1,000 will be be used to complete the 'bowl' effect for home fans at the East end.

Thanks for that correction, I'm sure you are right.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure that a more postive approach would have been for the club to have fought tooth and nail to get these seats and when they had succeeded gone back to the supporters who continually moan that they cant go to Withdean because they can't get a seat and say 'OK we have provided an extra 2000 seats at £20 per game X 20 producing £800k (if my sums are correct) and we need to fill them every week to save the club it is up to you the supporters to fill the seats for us. 2 seasons £1.6m less park and ride expenses etc.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm afraid it all boils down to influence and the power of money - how else would Safeway and Sainsbury's get the go ahead to build supermarkets at the Clock Tower and Station sites respectively, or Tescos to build wherever they like? Unfortunately the club (and its directors) have no financial clout.

Look at the turnaround at Brighton Race Course - a bit (lot) of money invested, vision and ambition and its packed out at most meetings and thriving.

What happened to the plans to use the Race Course for the 3rd Park and Ride scheme?

In my mind an extra 2,000 seats for away fans would fill up at least 6 times this season (and we could always use the existing away seats for the hangers on) and yes, Sunderland would bring 2,000 - their London fan club is probably that big!!

Oct 5, 2003
broken promises of DICK TIGHT we would have the extra seats in place for start of this season like f*** have we! and you lot think this clown can deliver 15-25k or whatever seats at falmer he cant even manage 2k at withdean, good point though get the seats and we can think about dipping in our pockets

*YAWN*

FG - the Club have got planning permission for the extra seats, on condition that a park & ride service is provided.

To run p&r from the top of Carden Avenue needs a road closure order.

Please explain how a Chairman other than Dick Knight could get one of those out of the City Council's Environment Committee.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:
*YAWN*

FG - the Club have got planning permission for the extra seats, on condition that a park & ride service is provided.

To run p&r from the top of Carden Avenue needs a road closure order.

Please explain how a Chairman other than Dick Knight could get one of those out of the City Council's Environment Committee.

I accept what you are saying but do you not think that the club should have done as much as is humanly possible to have got these seats up and running and then gone to the fans and said right now fill them each game rather than hand out the begging bowl again!

Having received a reply to an E mail from MP about this I d o appreciate their problems as regards the local tory councillors but unfortunately that is local politics.

BensGrandad said:
I accept what you are saying but do you not think that the club should have done as much as is humanly possible to have got these seats up and running

They have, and if you took the time to read Dick Knight's letter rather than shooting your mouth off in your usual fashion, you would see that he is saying the club is close to resolving the issues relating to park and ride. He anticipates this will have some impact on reducing debts in future years. Happy now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here