Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get El-abd back for Leeds !

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The Original Poster is clearly a spanner as Virgo was excellent on Tuesday and excellent again today. El-Abd will get his time back in the team, there wil be inevitably be cause for a change before long, until then we should stick with what is looking like a decent defence.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
El abd is too short and a liability at CB. Painter is a solid LB. Calderon after a good start appears to be the weak link at RB - I would prefer whing.

Whing gives away too many cheap free kicks, penalties and goals. He has moments of usefullness whereas Calderon is a bit more consistent IMO.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Bensgranddad, I know football is all about opinions, but I think you are in the minority, in a previous thread you said that Carole and Dicker was good subsitution, but we were 1-0 up and Carole exposed our right back and we lost. But to suggest that El-Abd can play in midfield is nbelievable, we have only won one game in our history when our Adam played there. I hope you are a armchair fan and dont go, more than a educated opinion.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Basically Whing gives away to many cheap free kicks as somebody else mentioned but Calderon gives away too much space he's good but he gets caught out of position when going forward.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Whing gives away too many cheap free kicks, penalties and goals. He has moments of usefullness whereas Calderon is a bit more consistent IMO.

I have no problem with calderon although i thought he had a poor game today - I think balance wise painter and whing are solid defenders. Whing puts in tackles where calderon is more of a positional defender. If Lua Lua comes good I think there may be more balance with whing although it is a tough call.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Okay okay but Jesus I don't give a shit we just need him back !

Are you his lover ? I do not know El Abds Best position - he was initially a RB ? he has covered well at LB but is a liability CB or CM

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Do not know how you can say that as Calderon has been one of our successts and Whing is now about 4th choice as right back and I would expect to be freed at the end of the season.

Do not know how you can say that carole was a good substitution ? Whing was voted player of the season last year - he has not got a look in this season. I think it is often better to have a no frills solid defender in lower leagues than a 'total footballer'.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
So, now Adam El-Abd is the king over the water. Who hasn't had it this season. Rather than player of the season I think the club should introduce the king over the water award, sponsored by NSC, of course.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bensgranddad, I know football is all about opinions, but I think you are in the minority, in a previous thread you said that Carole and Dicker was good subsitution, but we were 1-0 up and Carole exposed our right back and we lost. But to suggest that El-Abd can play in midfield is nbelievable, we have only won one game in our history when our Adam played there. I hope you are a armchair fan and dont go, more than a educated opinion.

I go to every home game and most away and have done so for many years. Yes football is about opinions and thankfully my opinion has been respected by many of our previous managers. I believe that the bringing on of Dicker and Carole had the desired effect in that it gave us freedom in midfield and allowed us to take the game to Norwich as we did in the first half. The substitution I didnt agree with was bringing on OGH as I believe that he is finished as a league player and offers us absolutely nothing when he comes on. Like most I was appalled when I saw him getting ready and it was then 1- 1 but even more so when we went behind and he came on.

Carole made no difference to the end result as far as conceeding goals, as both goals were down to basic mistakes of bad defending for the first and a goalkeeper error for the 2nd.

I would accept that he could have done a lot better with the ball when he was attacking but he seems to have lost the ability to beat and go past a defender.

I would think that his days are numbered at our club, especially if Lua Lua proves up to the mark.

My idea of El Abd was to play him more as an extra defender but just in front of Virgo and Elphick more than a midfielder. More as the base of a diamond with Lua Lua and Bennett wide and either Navarro or Croft at the top point just behind the strikers. Perhaps I wrote that slightly wrong.

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I thought Virgo and Elphick were superb today, they dealt with everything Norwich threw at both of them. None of the goals were their fault. Putting El-Abd at centre back, would be like putting our heads on the chopping block. Do you really want to go down?!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I go to every home game and most away and have done so for many years. Yes football is about opinions and thankfully my opinion has been respected by many of our previous managers. I believe that the bringing on of Dicker and Carole had the desired effect in that it gave us freedom in midfield and allowed us to take the game to Norwich as we did in the first half. The substitution I didnt agree with was bringing on OGH as I believe that he is finished as a league player and offers us absolutely nothing when he comes on. Like most I was appalled when I saw him getting ready and it was then 1- 1 but even more so when we went behind and he came on.

Carole made no difference to the end result as far as conceeding goals, as both goals were down to basic mistakes of bad defending for the first and a goalkeeper error for the 2nd.

I would accept that he could have done a lot better with the ball when he was attacking but he seems to have lost the ability to beat and go past a defender.

I would think that his days are numbered at our club, especially if Lua Lua proves up to the mark.

My idea of El Abd was to play him more as an extra defender but just in front of Virgo and Elphick more than a midfielder. More as the bae of a diamond with Lua Lua and Bennett wide and either Navarro or Croft at the top point just be3hind the strikers. Perhaps I wrote that slightly wrong.

I partially agree with you in that the introduction of Dicker meant we could press Norwich however, Carole was totally ineffective. It would have been better to have brought on Hart to play on the right side of the expanded midfield. Having said that, when Norwich switched to 3 at the back then we should have taken Carole off and put on Dickinson. Very poor substitutions.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Drop Virgo? :wrong: He has been one of our best and most consistent players lately IMO

I think El-Abd should be back in the team though, should replace Elphick as centre back, keeping Calderon and Painter as full backs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here