Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
last good game he had was at anfield v olympiakos about 10 years ago.

slow, cant create, cant tackle, and hes not even worth an apostraphe as i would have to stretch my finger a little.

this tournament demanded Wiltshire played in the middle.

but the other liverpool man alongside him - has he touched the ball in the two games?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We can blame him as much as we like for the second goal, but our defenders were at fault for not backing off, as well as automatically assuming that he was going to cleanly win the header. Ultimately, that is what gave Suarez the yards he needed.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I am slating him for the fact he has once again failed to turn up at a major tournament. I have literally no idea what made you think I was blaming him for Cahill or Jagielka's mistakes though, that is truly baffling.

Ok then, let's try a different approach. The sides that have done well in the Prem. Man City, the star players Toure, Aguero, Deko, Zaballetta....even Hart was left out(English). Next Liverpool, the top player Suarez (the one that was not 100% fit tonight that still banged in two) ....Chelsea, the list is endless, Oscar, Hazard etc.
The bottom line is that Gerrard could have walked into anyone of these players countries first eleven, the reality is that the England players around him are not in the class of the players that play for their countries.
In short, we are not good enough, but Gerrard would have walked into other top countries teams.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Although not a pleasure, glad to be vindicated for daring to say Gerrard should not have been in the team, also he bottled the post match interview. Guess wonder

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
he was the only defensive midfielder in the squad
which is a bit odd but a reflection of players currently available

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Jeez, you have found an easy scapegoat. The fact that Jags and Cahill have allowed Ballotelli and Suarez to peel off wide and beat both defenders (who are taller) to score with HEADERS...is Gerrard's fault.......plum.

Gerrard pulled out of the tackle on the half way line just before their 1st goal

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All the anti-Gerrard observers on here putting the bitter boot in, conveniently disregarding the analysis of Dixon and Poyet post-match that Cahill and Jagielka should absolutely have adjusted their position and movement beforehand for the ball breaking for Suarez.

And ignoring the weak goalkeeping of Hart - committing low to his left too early, presenting a larger target the other side. Making himself as small as possible.

The future - onto the next tournament pinning our centre midfield hopes on Wilshire, Barkley, Carrick ... with Gerrard and Lampard no doubt joining the retirees. Who next to hate in the blame game?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For 14 years since he broke into the England side, I have listened to people describing Gerrard as ' world class ' and a ' great ' player and yet this man, in all that time, has singularly failed to seriously influence an England game at the very highest level. When has he driven England to victory when it really matters?
He has been a very good club player and a decent international but no more. In recent seasons, his powers have been waning and the cracks have shown, particularly this season, when the pressure was on. He has made critical mistakes at Liverpool ( e.g Chelsea at home ) which proved decisive and now he has been cruelly exposed at the World Cup.
All players go over the top. I remember Bobby Moore ( who was much better than Gerrard ) costing England a vital goal in Poland in 1973 and it suddenly became apparent that he had ' gone ' Ramsey acted and Moore's England career was over. Hodgson has been too loyal and paid the ultimate price.
I watched Gerrard before the start last night and he was tight as a drum. The tension and nerves were showing in his face. The trauma and disappointment of a long campaign with Liverpool and a title near miss that will haunt him forever, were etched deep. This was not a seasoned international, confident and ready to go. This was a shot-away player who couldn't give of his best. From the first whistle, he was blowing out of his arse. He was labouring and struggling to keep up with play. His inertia dragged those around him down to his level. It was sad and embarrassing to watch.
What alarmed me most was his reaction when he knew he was on a direct challenge with Saurez. You could see it in his eyes. He didn't want any part of it. He didn't want to challenge his club teammate. His challenge was ineffectual and dishonest. He had committed the cardinal sin of allowing the boundaries between club loyalty and international passion to become blurred.
Liverpool fans are still kidding themselves over ' Stevie G '. Its been a long love affair but they now have to face facts its over.
Gerrard is the last of the so called ' golden generation ' who broke through between 1998 and 2002 and stayed in the England team a long time. Almost to a man, they were overrated and Gerrard is included in that. They didn't have the ability or temperament to carry England deep into a tournament. They were all just short of top class and were nearly men. Very good club players and decent internationals but not good enough to control matters at the highest level.
This will be Gerrard's and indeed, their legacy to English football.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All the anti-Gerrard observers on here putting the bitter boot in, conveniently disregarding the analysis of Dixon and Poyet post-match that Cahill and Jagielka should absolutely have adjusted their position and movement beforehand for the ball breaking for Suarez.

Its not a question of putting ' the bitter boot in '...the man was embarrassingly poor. It was not a performance of international standard and it was a contributory factor in us losing. He wasn't the only one but he had experience on his side and he buckled under the pressure of the occasion. That, to me, indicates a player who has gone over the top.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

For 14 years since he broke into the England side, I have listened to people describing Gerrard as ' world class ' and a ' great ' player and yet this man, in all that time, has singularly failed to seriously influence an England game at the very highest level. When has he driven England to victory when it really matters?
He has been a very good club player and a decent international but no more. In recent seasons, his powers have been waning and the cracks have shown, particularly this season, when the pressure was on. He has made critical mistakes at Liverpool ( e.g Chelsea at home ) which proved decisive and now he has been cruelly exposed at the World Cup.
All players go over the top. I remember Bobby Moore ( who was much better than Gerrard ) costing England a vital goal in Poland in 1973 and it suddenly became apparent that he had ' gone ' Ramsey acted and Moore's England career was over. Hodgson has been too loyal and paid the ultimate price.
I watched Gerrard before the start last night and he was tight as a drum. The tension and nerves were showing in his face. The trauma and disappointment of a long campaign with Liverpool and a title near miss that will haunt him forever, were etched deep. This was not a seasoned international, confident and ready to go. This was a shot-away player who couldn't give of his best. From the first whistle, he was blowing out of his arse. He was labouring and struggling to keep up with play. His inertia dragged those around him down to his level. It was sad and embarrassing to watch.
What alarmed me most was his reaction when he knew he was on a direct challenge with Saurez. You could see it in his eyes. He didn't want any part of it. He didn't want to challenge his club teammate. His challenge was ineffectual and dishonest. He had committed the cardinal sin of allowing the boundaries between club loyalty and international passion to become blurred.
Liverpool fans are still kidding themselves over ' Stevie G '. Its been a long love affair but they now have to face facts its over.
Gerrard is the last of the so called ' golden generation ' who broke through between 1998 and 2002 and stayed in the England team a long time. Almost to a man, they were overrated and Gerrard is included in that. They didn't have the ability or temperament to carry England deep into a tournament. They were all just short of top class and were nearly men. Very good club players and decent internationals but not good enough to control matters at the highest level.

But he has been one of the best that we have had at what he does...whether he is as good as others is of course a debate, but he has never called himself "world class" to my knowledge - that is a title others have bestowed, and maybe we have believed. Personally I have always been in two minds about how good he is, but others, far better informed than I always say that he is a great....he didn't play well, but he was a player who helped us get there, indeed scoring a goal to ensure we qualified.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Many players looked uptight in the tunnel beforehand, it's just the way some players are, including Uruguayans. And your incredible powers of mind-reading ...fancy yourself as a psychic and psychologist? The players you slate have won a cupboard full of medals, have been great performers in the CL and been admired all over the world. It's just that England as a collective aren't as good as many other nations. There's a lack of heart-felt passion amongst the fans and players. Look at the reaction of the emotional Uruguayan bench - their love for their country.

Whilst in whinging and spiteful England, ManU and Chelsea fans (with a passing interest for their local club the Albion) get bitter about Gerrard, with similar from Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, and so on fans, settling scores against players who play for rival PL clubs.
Schadenfreude is the term that sums it. Drowning England sorrows by attempting to gain a perceived solace from others misfortune. We are world class at that in England.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
look at our captain........front page of hello magazine during the build up, and awful performances with no fight or talent. oohhhh, a 20 yard square ball to feet.

did anyone see in the 16th or so minute last night - Gerrard was about to take a free kick and was gasping for air and panting - he looked knackered.

Steven-and-Alex-Gerrard-Hello-Magazine-Embargoed-to-0001-Monday-June-2.jpg

winning team? how much $$$ did you get for selling those photos Gerrard you pr1ck?

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Its not a question of putting ' the bitter boot in '...the man was embarrassingly poor. It was not a performance of international standard and it was a contributory factor in us losing. He wasn't the only one but he had experience on his side and he buckled under the pressure of the occasion. That, to me, indicates a player who has gone over the top.

Do you ignore the observations of ex-players and managers? They have been unimpressed with the defence - think of experienced Leighton, Cahill, Hart, Jagielka over the 2 games, a catalogue of mistakes, 4 goals conceded whereas the other top nations on form have great defences in Brazil. Until last night, Rooney (England's only world class player apparently) has performed awfully for many England games in a row. The Italian right side destroyed England on Saturday for 90 minutes.

Many of England's experienced players have had a poor world cup. The collective defence has been inadequate at this level. Ludicrous to point to one player. Vintage English scapegoating.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I found Gerrard's pre-match pep talk about having a shit summer rather odd motivation. Surely it is better to encourage young players as opposed to put the fear of god up them?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I am not usually one to defend Gerrard as i think he is far too direct in his play, but last night i dont believe he did too much wrong. Henderson and the two centre backs on the other hand need to take a look at themselves. Cahill was playing well unitl that last goal, but i think the mistake he made was trying to play Suarez offside. How was he to know Gerrard would get the last touch? At the end of the day we dont have the overall quality and also dont get going until it is too late.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hear what you're saying but he was involved in the pivotal moments of the game.

Correct. Suarez was relatively quiet by his standards last night, but his contribution has been defined by having 2 clear chances and putting them both away. Gerrard's is remembered for 2 mistakes that led to both of those goals. The rest of his game is insignificant in relation to that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Rooney and Gerrard are supposed to be the talented experienced core of that team. Gerrard to us as Pirlo is to Italy, or something like that.

But these two players, lauded as being 'World Class' through their premier league success are anything but.

Sure, Jagielka, Welbeck, Stirling, Sturridge, Henderson didn't cover themselves in any glory either, but they are the flowering of youth untainted by cries of being one of the great England players.

Gerrard, and similarly Rooney are the scapegoats because we're supposed to believe they are better than they actually are. Built up well beyond the reality of the capabilities, and for some reason untouchable by any England manager.

I really don't expect to be seeing my 34 year old captain missing out on not just one, but several 50-50 challenges, and back flicking headers like a Sunday morning footballer. Football at this level is about the tiny moments, Gerrard and Rooney managed to fluff theirs (Rooney should have scored long before his equaliser).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here