Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gerrard

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In general, when very shortly Lampard and Gerrard join A.Cole as retirees, I think there's a mixed picture for England with some alarming inadequacies in future squads:

Phil Jones - labelled a £17m steal by the astute Ferguson. Great energy, but injury and prone to critical errors.

Smalling - at £12m, we were told an incredible bit of business. He and Phil Jones were to dominate the England centre-back partnership for the next 10 to 15 years. Smalling now looks like Bambi on ice - an awful stiff right-back or a dozey centre-half.

Smalling was indeed an incredible bit of business - for Fulham. Jones has gone backwards spectacularly at Old Trafford. Maybe Van Gaal can do something to improve him, but I expect him to buy a Dutch or German replacement.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I found Gerrard's pre-match pep talk about having a shit summer rather odd motivation. Surely it is better to encourage young players as opposed to put the fear of god up them?

Here's a multiple choice question for you:

Did Gerrard give a pre-match pep talk about having a shit summer
a. Of his own accord?
b. Because Hodgson requested him to do it?

p.s. Surprised to find you joining in with the lynch mob HT, you don't usually keep such irrational, dim-witted company

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Blame aside (I think the CBs should take more responsibility), tactically Gerrard simply did not work out in midfield. Regularly anonymous with absolutely no support from the players in front.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I bear no malice toward Gerard but his time is simply up. At 34 years old there is no reason hanging on to him for another major tournament, especially when our record in competitions featuring him is so dismal.

It is time for the future, no matter how bleak it may be.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
This board makes me chuckle at times.

When we had Liverpool at home 2 years ago and Gerrard was warming up down the line, the North stand started to clap him and forget The Albion.

Now you're all slagging him off?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

When we had Liverpool at home 2 years ago and Gerrard was warming up down the line, the North stand started to clap him and forget The Albion.

Agreed. I for one didn't clap and was saddened by the love in. :nono: We should have been creating a hostile and menacing atmosphere that night. Instead the majority of the crowd were fawning over Gerrard being at the Amex like a bunch day trippers to a Premier League match.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Clueless post of the day award winner right here :thumbsup:

Matter of opinion so perfectly happy to take that.

Seconded. Spotted a spiteful Chelski or Manure fan masquerading as a football and Albion fan on NSC.

Whereas that is just slanderous. Liverpool would be above both those teams in my hierarchy of which team I temporarily support while watching matches not involving the Albion.

There were plenty rolling their eyes at the Gerrard worship too. Saying a once top player is now less of a top player doesn't really qualify as slagging off.

But people who didn't applaud Gerrard 2 years ago now say he's not as good as he was would lack the necessary hyperbole for forum posting.

Back OT, heres a small extract from an analysis of liverpools defence (by a scouse)
Though Gerrard’s distribution of the ball has been impressive since his transition to a deep lying playmaker and his defensive contribution improved, he still lacks the positional sense of a true defensive midfielder. In games where Gerrard is left isolated (Swansea and Villa at Anfield) by the shape of Rodgers’ side and the attacking proclivity of those in front of him, Liverpool’s defence becomes more exposed than ever to 1-vs-1 situations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here