Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
IMG_1196.jpeg

Car turning up at the training ground just now I think.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Albion made two earlier offers that were lower which Leeds rejected. (29m and 35m according to David Ornstein)

It’s clear that we were very keen to get the player. Went back twice and submitted an offer at release-clause level minutes before the deadline to ensure no one else was in for him. The two initial offers made presumably in the hope that Leeds would accept something lower, and also to flush out any interest from other clubs.

If Albion were that determined, we have to presume that FH has identified Rutter as a key member of his vision for the side.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
I think the reality is, we’re confident we won’t make a loss on any of these players, and the players each have the choice to come here and fight to impress, whether at the AMEX or on loan. It’s a potential pathway none the less for the players and a risk/reward decision for those that want and believe they can progress. The more players we sign, the more we spread the load, the more loans we have to arrange but the more we stand to gain, as long as we do so well and we’re respectful of the young men, which we’ve proven we will be/have been. It all makes perfect sense to me, we’re just not used to it, but it’s the trajectory we’re on and I’m loving it. I know I’d rather have too many options than not enough!
I don’t think I rate it as a strategy if that’s what it is. It sounds just like Chelsea’s, but on a less ridiculous scale.

Take Cozier-Duberry for example, who joined on the basis of being given an opportunity in the first team, and we’ve since spent c£60m on two players that would both be picked ahead of him in his position.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I don’t think I rate it as a strategy if that’s what it is. It sounds just like Chelsea’s, but on a less ridiculous scale.

Take Cozier-Duberry for example, who joined on the basis of being given an opportunity in the first team, and we’ve since spent c£60m on two players that would both be picked ahead of him in his position.
No, a pathway to the first team.

Likely to be loaned out, always was.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

And yet still his chances of first team football are better than if he’d stayed at Arsenal, and he might be better/believe he is able to prove he is better than either? We will not have lied to him about his prospects, likely wouldn’t need to.

It’s a very competitive, performance based industry and the players know it better than anyone. You’ve got to be prepared to fight to earn a place without any guarantees. It’s PL football at the end of the day. They gotta risk it for the biscuit!

…and doing a Chelsea, but doing it ‘right’ is fine by me! It’s not what Chelsea do that is wrong, it’s how they go about doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here