Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George O'Callaghan says things are NOT right at the Albion...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But I do feel that O'C has blown the lid on problems that are a live issue in the club and others may not be prepared to speak out and we all continue to think that everything is rosey in the club with the players.

I doubt I am alone in thinking this is a good thing.

To me it seems he is sticking up for his team mates.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You gotta remember this is PROFESSIONAL football here and your dealing with peoples livelihoods, they have the same concerns as you and me concerning their work.

Dont get blurred with the Premiership contracts we are not talking massive massive deals but deals comparable to other clubs in the same league that may also be interested in these players.

O'Callaghan may have stirred up a hornets nest and is probably speaking for others within the camp, he aint stupid.

Knight is always doing a deal on the cheap and then in the longer term having to either just let them go, or pay a higher price down the road for the same player !!

Now if the club just do not have the funds, I accept that maybe thats the only option, but he continuely says that funds are there for Wilkins.

So what about Hammond, Martot, Savage, O'Callaghan, maybe we will never really appredciate their worth until they have left the club and it all starts over again.

And as for promotion.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Anyone can come deep, pick the ball up of the centre half, turn a player and knock it back to the defence. Make yourself look good, keep it tidy and achieve exactly f*** ALL.

Isnt that his role in the midfield?

I would rather someone keep the ball than hump it upfield, if you have the ball the other team cant score.
I saw enough hoof ball under Mcghee.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Er...el-Abd aside (anyway, DW seems to agree with me on that subject)......

Right on the second bit, he's put a big sign out on that front.
Even if players DO have issues, a look around the league will reveal that 'blowing the lid' is not very-much welcomed by ANY club. At United, we have seen perhaps the best defensive player in the World simply shuffled out unceremoniously, after thinking he could talk-it-up about everything. I'd suggest that Sir Alex Ferguson knows the right way to approach such an issue, and he made an excellent example to all, about players who want to shake their employers' up.

After O'C has yakked it up - in the style of James Bond - DK and DW might do well to be shaken, but not stirred.

I agree with everything you say, but.
Were any of us really aware of these issue's within the club ? As a STH who is enjoying the season. I am a bit concerned that the bubble is about to burst with quality players leaving on a mass exit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree with everything you say, but.
Were any of us really aware of these issue's within the club ? As a STH who is enjoying the season. I am a bit concerned that the bubble is about to burst with quality players leaving on a mass exit.

The club really should be doing everything to keep Hammond, He is a class player who for some reason is the new Dan Harding.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I doubt I am alone in thinking this is a good thing.

To me it seems he is sticking up for his team mates.

Or maybe just winding some of them up with a bit of shit stirring safe in the knowledge he's out of there soon?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
O'C has shown flashes for us on the field, but where he gets off being spokesman for the squad, and especially the young players, is a bit much. He's a loanee, and one integral part of impressing an interested club is NOT putting his oar in on club business like contracts.

Well it suggests two things to me;

a) he's pissed off that the club haven't more of an effort to get him full time. He knows his days are numbered at Ipswich, they let him play for us in the cup which suggests to me he isn't in Magilton's future plans.

b) things aren't great behind the scenes and he using the fact that he's buggering off to be spokes person for some of his mates.

It's certainly provoked some debate and Mr Knight has in the past made choices to placate the fan backlash.

Isnt that his role in the midfield?

I would rather someone keep the ball than hump it upfield, if you have the ball the other team cant score.
I saw enough hoof ball under Mcghee.

You've missed the point here. He doesn't do anything with the ball at all. No creativity, no forward movement at all. He picks it up and gives it back, he doesn't even create space for the defender to then pick a pass, they have to hoof it after he's shown off with it anyway. He is utterly pointless.

I could see the point in him coming deep if then he was looking for a forward pass, or could carry it forward himself, or even a sideways pass would be something, but he doesn't even do that. He doesn't keep the ball. He fucks about with it for a bit then gives it to El-Abd to hoof up to Savage.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You gotta remember this is PROFESSIONAL football here and your dealing with peoples livelihoods, they have the same concerns as you and me concerning their work.

Dont get blurred with the Premiership contracts we are not talking massive massive deals but deals comparable to other clubs in the same league that may also be interested in these players.

O'Callaghan may have stirred up a hornets nest and is probably speaking for others within the camp, he aint stupid.

Knight is always doing a deal on the cheap and then in the longer term having to either just let them go, or pay a higher price down the road for the same player !!

Now if the club just do not have the funds, I accept that maybe thats the only option, but he continuely says that funds are there for Wilkins.

So what about Hammond, Martot, Savage, O'Callaghan, maybe we will never really appredciate their worth until they have left the club and it all starts over again.

And as for promotion.......hmmmmmmmmmm

correct I think

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You've missed the point here. He doesn't do anything with the ball at all. No creativity, no forward movement at all. He picks it up and gives it back, he doesn't even create space for the defender to then pick a pass, they have to hoof it after he's shown off with it anyway. He is utterly pointless.

I could see the point in him coming deep if then he was looking for a forward pass, or could carry it forward himself, or even a sideways pass would be something, but he doesn't even do that. He doesn't keep the ball. He fucks about with it for a bit then gives it to El-Abd to hoof up to Savage.

Dont think we are going to agree on him, agree to disagree me thinks as im off to the shops.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do think its a bit like the Emperor`s new clothes story with O`C.

Everyone says how great he is but I struggle to see it. He`s neat and tidy but rarely hurts teams.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

No I think you have missed it.
We are talking about what he is claiming is going on in our club not his style of play.

He has raised issues that are not new to the club, in fact we were talking about this prior to him ever coming to the club. Do you remember after the Stoke game the talk was of the same issue. The club does not seemed to have learnt from that!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I do think its a bit like the Emperor`s new clothes story with O`C.

Everyone says how great he is but I struggle to see it. He`s neat and tidy but rarely hurts teams.
I think at worst he is neat and tidy (other than yesterday, but I'm willing to write that off as a one-off since he's not played anywhere near as badly before). At best he totally controls games. He doesn't particularly hurt teams I agree, he could do more I think, but he still does an important job and we will be much poorer if we lose him, which it looks like we will now. If anyone thinks Fraser or El-Abd are adequate replacements than they are very very much mistaken.

It's hard to say how much there is in his comments, only Dick Knight, Wilkins, George and his agent probably know. George says the club have said nothing about keeping him, Dick says they have but George wanted to look at his options. :shrug:
There are a lot of players out of contract but the likes of Lynch, Elphick, Cox, Forster, are all secure. It's up to the rest to PROVE they are worth keeping.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am sure that anyone who has seen him play will agree that O'C doesn't lack in confidence.

He has refused the contract that we offered, (he obviously doesn't believe it is good enough for a player of his quality) and got upset that we haven't offered him more. And forget this security and family shit as there has been a contract there for him to take all along.

He is probably frustrated that he is going back to being a nobody in the reserve team of a club who's manager doesn't rate him (hence the cup clearance).

I'd give him his toys back as he leaves and a bit of advice - next time make you're bid after one of your better games and not when you have spent 90 minutes playing shit :bigwave:

No I think you have missed it.
We are talking about what he is claiming is going on in our club not his style of play.

He has raised issues that are not new to the club, in fact we were talking about this prior to him ever coming to the club. Do you remember after the Stoke game the talk was of the same issue. The club does not seemed to have learnt from that!

I was replying to Kinky in relation to his style and ability, which I believe is related to the reasons why he is spouting off.

Contract issues aren't anything new, and as usual we don't actually have any facts at all to have informed opinions. What we have is paper talk and stirring from a player who has f*** all to do with the situation.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am sure that anyone who has seen him play will agree that O'C doesn't lack in confidence.

He has refused the contract that we offered, (he obviously doesn't believe it is good enough for a player of his quality) and got upset that we haven't offered him more. And forget this security and family shit as there has been a contract there for him to take all along.

He is probably frustrated that he is going back to being a nobody in the reserve team of a club who's manager doesn't rate him (hence the cup clearance).

I'd give him his toys back as he leaves and a bit of advice - next time make you're bid after one of your better games and not when you have spent 90 minutes playing shit :bigwave:

But thats the problem none of the players have actually been offered anything up until the last minute. You cannot run a professional football club by not keeping ahead of things especially your players contracts.

O'Callaghan knows that Knight scuppered the original deal when we could of signed him permenately, but because of 'Knight Legendary Brinkmanship' ended up getting him on loan instead and as O'C's stock has increased with decent/good performances others have probably shown interest.

And it seems Knight is not willing to pay his current worth.

How about Hammond ?? I have heard he is on a Bosman at the end of the season and what moves has the club made ?? Very little I suspect.

Its Wilkins I feel sorry for as I bet he has been banging on about his players futures for months...............but without Knight making any moves.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you honestly believe that there isn't a current offer on the table for Hammond ? It is called negotiation and takes two parties to play 'Brinkmanship'. (And don't forget, there was an offer for O'C that he turned down - and it obviously wasn't derisery enough to stop him coming here)

It's strange that it is so bad in football as it is called 'negotiation skills' in the business i work in and is highly regarded

But thats the problem none of the players have actually been offered anything up until the last minute. You cannot run a professional football club by not keeping ahead of things especially your players contracts.

O'Callaghan knows that Knight scuppered the original deal when we could of signed him permenately, but because of 'Knight Legendary Brinkmanship' ended up getting him on loan instead and as O'C's stock has increased with decent/good performances others have probably shown interest.

And it seems Knight is not willing to pay his current worth.

How about Hammond ?? I have heard he is on a Bosman at the end of the season and what moves has the club made ?? Very little I suspect.

Its Wilkins I feel sorry for as I bet he has been banging on about his players futures for months...............but without Knight making any moves.

Last minute? Bas had a deal on the table in October. I'm sure that I've read somewhere that a deal has been offered to Hammond already too, he just hasn't signed it yet. Hardly last minute is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here