No prevaricating. Hit or shit?

• Gloss

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Dross

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Dandyman is closer to right, than he is to wrong. But mostly for the genesis after Gabriel.

They were discovered by famous nonce Jonothan King, incidentally

Last edited:

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Hardly. Selling England By the Pound was not exactly a ringing endorsement of Thatcherism.

Anyway, I'm not sure if eternal blandness is setting root in me or not but proof (I hope) that I can still spot a good tune - here's one hot off the presses from a fantastic Brighton band, the Foxes:

[yt]zzzzzzz[/yt]

Er...not really. That jingle jangle makes Phil Collins suddenly sound like musical genius!

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Personally I was always a bit indifferent to Genesis, some of the early stuff was ok some of it was pretentious bollocks with Gabriel dancing about dressed as a flower. Same with the Phil Collins era, some good, some bad, this is them being very good IMHO, back in the 80's with Collins absolutely nailing the vocals, but then what do I know "Me, I'm just a lawnmower"!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Follow you, follow me was from And Then There Were Three - a very under-rated album. Couple of real corkers on there:

Snowbound
[yt]3pxvSxv7O8M[/yt]

Many To Many (thank you Tony Banks)
[yt]LprWnFD8svc[/yt]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think its brilliant but the Mrs takes the alternate view. Relax Buzzer, you are on solid ground here:thumbsup:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Never liked Genesis, I worked in the Amex post room 1978-82 and this type of shite was on the Radio 1 playlist all day long.

I do have a guilty pleasure in relation to some of Collins' anti religion songs though. In The Air Tonight is decent too. Got all the Peter Gabriel albums from the 70's, he was a hatstand.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Loved 'em with Gabriel but the creative spark went out when he left and they became just another band in my eyes

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Genesis are my number one top favourite - but this pop song is not in my top fifty tracks.
Written by Mike Rutherford as a chart single and just not what the band were about back then.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Loved 'em with Gabriel but the creative spark went out when he left and they became just another band in my eyes

Personally I thought they got a lot better (at least musically) after he left:

[yt]8z1kLUP3ohg[/yt]

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Follow you, follow me was from And Then There Were Three - a very under-rated album. Couple of real corkers on there:

Snowbound
[yt]3pxvSxv7O8M[/yt]

Many To Many (thank you Tony Banks)
[yt]LprWnFD8svc[/yt]

Top album,one of my favorites.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
One of my favourite bands and 'And Then There Were Three' is one of my favourite albums although I think they topped it with Abacab.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There's a few things Collins has done that I've loved but I think it's Genesis that I've always seen as a bit bland. Perhaps Rutherford was to blame. That Mike and The Mechanics song is an awful thing. Truly, truly awful. The worst excesses of Dad Rock that I can imagine.

if anyone ever names living years as their favourite song i think i am going to have to stop knowing you immediately.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Nice music snob thread. Collins public persona seems to colour peoples perceptions of his music , which imo is in places very good. He has a nice pop sensibility and I find that cuts trough the wiibbly sixth form noodling his bandmates are prone to. Of course some of his stuff is not to my taste, but you don't sell that many records without some talent.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I have to say I voted dross even though '70s Genesis is a guilty pleasure and I enjoyed seeing them that summer at Knebworth. The opening bars of Eleventh Earl of Mar cutting through the crisp night air (it was bloody freezing even if it was midsummer) remains one of my fondest early gig memories.

But on record I thought they went seriously downhill after Wind and Wuthering. The only Genesis song I bought after the frankly disappointing And Then There Were Three... was the 7" of Mama.

I am proud to say I have never bought anything by Phil Collins solo.

Or Mike and the F**kingm*echanics come to that.

I did have a Steve Hackett solo album once...

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Lamb Lies Down is a fantastic album, really they all are. I'm a bit of a Genesis snob and prefer the Gabriel stuff, that said Phil Collins is a fantastic front man.

Steve Hackett's solo stuff was also top drawer. Mike Rutherford's solo stuff was a bit wishey washey. Phil Collins solo stuff with the exception of In The Air was a bit too commercial for me.

One of the great Prog Rock Bands of all time.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
'Driving the Last Spike' from We Can't Dance is decent enough, but ( particularly Collins solo albums ) the remainder of their output is not my cup of tea at all.

Last evening I listened to:

'The Taking of Pelham 123' OST, music by David Shire ( The original film with Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau, not the John Travolta re-make )
'The Collection' by The Stranglers, a CD version of 'Off the Beaten Track'
'Life on Mars' by Johnny Mars and the Mars-Fenwick Band ( Ray Fenwick used to play with the Spencer Davis Group, Johnny Mars is sadly no longer producing music but a great Blues harpsman of his generation ).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here