Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Dross

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Saw them at the Top Rank in 197? (I'm sure NMH will know). Supported by Lindisfarne and Rab Noakes. Bloody brilliant gig. I was never a huge fan but 'Foxtrot', especially 'Supper's Ready', is a brilliant album. 'Selling england by the pound' has it's moments as well. The post Gabriel stuff was definitely inferior.

If you disagree that's fine. I always find these music threads a bit weird as people get really heated when they discover other people have different tastes to them.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
great song, but then I'm a big Genesis fan (1970-1980 anyway).

Ditto.

I do like quite a lot of the post- And Then There Were Three stuff, but the best albums are still A Trick of The Tail, Selling England and Wind & Wuthering. edit - oh, and of course The Lamb...

Last edited:

Saw them at the Top Rank in 197? (I'm sure NMH will know). Supported by Lindisfarne and Rab Noakes. Bloody brilliant gig. I was never a huge fan but 'Foxtrot', especially 'Supper's Ready', is a brilliant album. 'Selling england by the pound' has it's moments as well. The post Gabriel stuff was definitely inferior.

If you disagree that's fine. I always find these music threads a bit weird as people get really heated when they discover other people have different tastes to them.

I remember the two "Great Charisma Tours" in the early 70's - Genesis, Lindisfarne and Van der Graaf Generator were one for something like 50p, might even have been 10/-? The other included Hawkwind and Audience (I think), concerts took place at the Dome in consecutive weeks.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
'Many Too Many' is a personal favourite, I also like 'I Wish it Would Rain'.
The band and I are doing a version of 'In The Air Tonight' now we've found a sh*t hot drummer.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
'Driving the Last Spike' from We Can't Dance is decent enough, but ( particularly Collins solo albums ) the remainder of their output is not my cup of tea at all.

Last evening I listened to:

'The Taking of Pelham 123' OST, music by David Shire ( The original film with Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau, not the John Travolta re-make )
'The Collection' by The Stranglers, a CD version of 'Off the Beaten Track'
'Life on Mars' by Johnny Mars and the Mars-Fenwick Band ( Ray Fenwick used to play with the Spencer Davis Group, Johnny Mars is sadly no longer producing music but a great Blues harpsman of his generation ).

You went to see Emerson Lake and Palmer last year!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Genesis supported Lindisfarne at The Top Rank in Brighton on 27th October 1972

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I can remember seeing Genesis in Brighton, must have been late 70's / early 80's. During "I know what I like" Phil Collins between lines said "Just becuase you lost to Derby" which we had done that day.

Gave me an opportunity to swear lots and loud.

Still like they are probably the best Prog Rock Band ever, maybe Yes and Pink Floyd would push them close.

That was the night Genesis got banned from Top Rank Ballrooms for using pyrotechnics when they were told not to. After those gigantic magnesium flares went off (and being down front they were a bit warm for that flashing second!) - so the house turned off their electricity and... no encore. It predated Foxtrot by a few months and they ended with 'Knife' or 'Giant Hogweed' if I remember rightly. That was back when they performed in jeans, not the strange haircut and weird outfits that came later.
Rab Noakes suffered an embarrassing moment when his false teeth came out mid-song! He was spitting out the song, and his gnashers followed!
Lindisfarne were okay, did their hits, and Fog on The Tyne, Clear White Light and etc.

Sadly the blokes on the door checking tickets took the whole bloody thing, so that was one gig where I have no stub for it. I mean, Genesis THIRD on the bill!
Mott the Hoople played within weeks of that night too - did you go to that brovian?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Genesis supported Lindisfarne at The Top Rank in Brighton on 27th October 1972
Blimey! I'm impressed! Where did you get that info from? Sounds about right and on reflection I do seem to remember Lindisfarne coming on last. Ticket cost £1, yes one WHOLE pound. Outrageous!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That was the night Genesis got banned from Top Rank Ballrooms for using pyrotechnics when they were told not to. After those gigantic magnesium flares went off (and being down front they were a bit warm for that flashing second!) - so the house turned off their electricity and... no encore. It predated Foxtrot by a few months and they ended with 'Knife' or 'Giant Hogweed' if I remember rightly. That was back when they performed in jeans, not the strange haircut and weird outfits that came later.
Rab Noakes suffered an embarrassing moment when his false teeth came out mid-song! He was spitting out the song, and his gnashers followed!
Lindisfarne were okay, did their hits, and Fog on The Tyne, Clear White Light and etc.

Sadly the blokes on the door checking tickets took the whole bloody thing, so that was one gig where I have no stub for it. I mean, Genesis THIRD on the bill!
Mott the Hoople played within weeks of that night too - did you go to that brovian?
No didn't got to Mott sadly, would LOVE to see them.

Are you sure about pre-dating Foxtrot? Gabriel definitely wore his fox head and I thought it was the Foxtrot promotional tour. I'm 99.99% certain I had the album before the gig.

No didn't got to Mott sadly, would LOVE to see them.

Are you sure about pre-dating Foxtrot? Gabriel definitely wore his fox head and I thought it was the Foxtrot promotional tour. I'm 99.99% certain I had the album before the gig.

I'm surprised to learn that the LP was indeed issued on October 6th!
They were 3rd on that bill, but perhaps Rab Noakes was a good 2nd choice because he played a simple solo acoustic set and the gear changeover between Genesis and Lindisfarne had a luxury of time. Remembering in those days all the bloody long waits for bands and roadies while people shouted for 'Wally' (the lost labrador of Isle Of Wight Festival infamy [pub quiz time!]).

I didn't recall them doing such staples as 'Get 'Em Out By Friday' or 'Watcher Of The Skies', but did recall 'Return Of The Giant Hogweed'. As support and doing a 40minute slot, I doubt they took any luxurious look at 'Supper's Ready' - but perhaps they did something from that epic 'serial' track. It was a bit odd how bands had tracks like that with different tracks making up an apparent theme....though nobody could ever connect the theme subject at all!
It wasn't very long afterwards that they were back in Brighton at The Dome as support. Early arrivals to another Dome show got a large envelope with loads of stuff in it, including a hanging mural you had to put together and a flexi-disc of their then-unissued 'Twilight Alehouse' - I flogged mine on eBay a few years back, and anyway the flexi track was very soon on the flip of the 'I Know What I Like' 45 so was made less than exclusive for that. I'd also swapped my 'Happy The Man' single with its' nice picture sleeve for a handful of WHO and Yardbirds French EPs too.

Here's a review from that tour;
Lindisfarne - Caught in a visious circle - NME 73

And the tour dates;
Foxtrot Tour - GenesisFan

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, have to prevaricate. Dross compared to most Genesis output that had come before, gloss compared to most that came after....IMO.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
have seen many Genesis concerts, still my favourite all time band....from Fly on a Windshield to Entangled, Mama to Cinema Show, Musical Box ( my all time favourite track) to Firth of Fith. I grew up as a Gabriel fan, BUT really liked Collins in his day.

Follow you Follow me was a great track.

Snowbound is just sublime

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Sorry, have to prevaricate. Dross compared to most Genesis output that had come before, gloss compared to most that came after....IMO.

Is the right answer IMO

By the way, while I can't listen to any of Phil Collins Solo stuff, I thought his late 1970's jazz-rock sideline Brand X were a rather wonderful band, although I know a lot of critics thought they were a 2nd Division Weather Report.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Selling England is one of my all time favourite albums and I like Wind and Wuthering. I don't mind the later more commercial Collins stuff but I never bought it but have to admit that he writes a good pop song. I actually don't like Follow You Follow Me at all though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here