Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Now that is the sort of shot that alternately a) makes me want to give up photography with the realisation that I will never capture such an image, or b) makes me want to get out there more and more to give me the chance of doing so.

Wonderful
Thank you so much...now definitely ignore course of action a). This was a lot of patience and some luck thrown in. I watched this Heron from partially behind a bush for over an hour as it was hunting. It caught a few dragon flies which was cool to see as it plucked them out of the air. I then saw it plunge for the frog and took a burst as it first tenderised the frog (hence the red burst inners) and then flipped it into a position it could swallow whole, I knew it was going to do this as i have watched them before. My settings on the camera were not quite right (1/500s) so got a bit lucky not to have any motion blur. My equipment is good which helps but patience and studying behaviour is far more important. Consider the light and background too, I'd ignore a great subject if the background was bad or it was into the sun etc. Now get out there and practice... I only started wildlife photography because of the lockdowns, I only did underwater pictures before that but couldn't travel anywhere. :smile:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Thank you so much...now definitely ignore course of action a). This was a lot of patience and some luck thrown in. I watched this Heron from partially behind a bush for over an hour as it was hunting. It caught a few dragon flies which was cool to see as it plucked them out of the air. I then saw it plunge for the frog and took a burst as it first tenderised the frog (hence the red burst inners) and then flipped it into a position it could swallow whole, I knew it was going to do this as i have watched them before. My settings on the camera were not quite right (1/500s) so got a bit lucky not to have any motion blur. My equipment is good which helps but patience and studying behaviour is far more important. Consider the light and background too, I'd ignore a great subject if the background was bad or it was into the sun etc. Now get out there and practice... I only started wildlife photography because of the lockdowns, I only did underwater pictures before that but couldn't travel anywhere. :smile:

Thanks helipilot. Yes - the watching/studying and waiting is the key isn't it. I've been studying the ducks down the duck pond, and can now pretty much predict precisely when it is they are going to rise out of the water and flap their wings with droplets coming off. But you don't half get some strange looks from the families with kids feeding the ducks when you're hanging around with a long lens for an hour or so!

Capturing it happening against a blank background is harder though!

DSC01571.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just had my photography website updated with some new travel pics from South America. If you like travel/street photography check it out. :cool:

http://www.grantrooney.com/

Some stunning photos there :thumbsup:

When you want to Lalibela, did you get lots of church photos? I'm very envious of you going there.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks helipilot. Yes - the watching/studying and waiting is the key isn't it. I've been studying the ducks down the duck pond, and can now pretty much predict precisely when it is they are going to rise out of the water and flap their wings with droplets coming off. But you don't half get some strange looks from the families with kids feeding the ducks when you're hanging around with a long lens for an hour or so!

Capturing it happening against a blank background is harder though!

View attachment 151463
Very nice indeed!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Some stunning photos there :thumbsup:

When you want to Lalibela, did you get lots of church photos? I'm very envious of you going there.

Thanks.

I've been several times to Lalibela and have lots of Church pics including the amazing St Georges but none make it onto my website though. I must say Lalibela is an extraordinary place, if it were not in such a remote country and in the most remotest part of that country, instead of a trickle of visitors each year it would have numbers in hundreds of thousands. Best time to go is during one of their religious festivals such as Christmas (Jan 7) or Timkat (Epiphany) 19 Jan. Combine it with a trip to the Lakes in the centre of the country and the tribes in the South. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I tried my hand at "Sports" photography for the first time today. I took some snaps of a football game I usually play in, as I'm recovering from an injury. I learnt a heck of a lot in an hour today, which will help me to improve when I do this again. It's not as easy as it looks.
Here's a couple of what I considered the best.

Attachments

• 143.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 74.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks for asking, the weather here has been amazing, lots of blue sky and sunshine, not the silly temperatures of home, which has been nice.

We couldn’t get the whole way round as the far end at Gatesgarth wasn’t buggy friendly. We drove away from Buttermere up the Honiston Pass, that really takes your breath away.

It’s been a good week away and I will be sad to come away tomorrow - I’m going to miss the hulking great hills...

I'm really pleased you visited that area, the memory of it is lovely to me. As you say, driving around there is simply stunning.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My first attempts at long exposure whilst on a recent trip to The Peak District.

DSCN0073.JPG

DSCN0757.JPG

DSCN0786.JPG

DSCN0805.JPG

DSCN0814.JPG

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A few bird ones from same trip:

DSCN0585.JPG

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0670.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

DSCN0927.JPG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ED488B3F-7612-4199-88A0-4FD68632DE4A.jpeg

Sheffield park is turning a lovely autumn colour from last week.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Watched a few Photoshop tutorials today then thought I'd try some things out.
Here's a photo of the Amex lorries during the build. One before editing, and one after.
I've got rid of the dust-bunnies, altered a few shades, cropped to rule of thirds, and sharpened a little.

Attachments

• Amex lorries.jpg
    Amex lorries.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Amex Lorries 2.jpg
    Amex Lorries 2.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 64

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
are you shooting jpeg or raw?

Jpeg, and these have undergone no post processing bar cropping.

I had a spell of shooting jpeg and raw, telling myself I'd have more to work with in post processing. Truth is I rarely open my laptop these days, and when I do I almost never bother with post processing. I just had tons more files to look through and taking up more space so I've gone back to just jpeg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here