Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I really like this one of yours. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nick-...Je9rci-KTxFRf-SEw9av-24pxRD2-qLKqqX/lightbox/
A little dickie-bird told me that you may have used a tripod!

PS. Watch out. You're being followed!!

Thanks Jack. That's one of my favourite photos, not just because it's a great image - but because of the pleasure I had on the day and the pure sense of satisfaction. I'm not great at getting up early (I think I mentioned this when discussing butterfly photos), but this place is quite special to me for a number of reasons. So, I did manage to get up and drive the 45 minutes in the dark to be there for sunrise. I knew exactly what I wanted to take, and did so - so was well-chuffed with myself, especially as I was all alone there in the peace and quiet - it just felt 'wow, what an amazing morning, and here I am right within it'. Then I spent the rest of the morning wandering along the River Esk in the sun - before going for a bacon buttie. It's somewhere I have also worked a lot (or the nearby Stanley Ghyll is) and so I pass by often - and always think of that morning.

Yes - I took a tripod. Water movement is definitely one of the few things it's almost impossible to capture hand-held.

You've been followed for years.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Really nice photos - can I ask, where did you focus for each shot? Did you go for the third of frame?

I really like this one of yours. https://www.flickr.com/photos/nick-...Je9rci-KTxFRf-SEw9av-24pxRD2-qLKqqX/lightbox/
A little dickie-bird told me that you may have used a tripod!

PS. Watch out. You're being followed!!

Thank you for the help, I look forward to being able to return some similar photos...!

Depending on the camera weight you could have a mini tripod and leave it permanently attached so putting it down on ground or suitable flat surface MIGHT be less time consuming. Do you have a remote control device.

Depending where you are you in lake District you might get very dark skies so some night sky pictures might be good either Milky Way or just very starry night skies maybe with a building or something in foreground illuminated by some extra torch light... It depends what sort of lens and camera you have.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Depending on the camera weight you could have a mini tripod and leave it permanently attached so putting it down on ground or suitable flat surface MIGHT be less time consuming. Do you have a remote control device.

Depending where you are you in lake District you might get very dark skies so some night sky pictures might be good either Milky Way or just very starry night skies maybe with a building or something in foreground illuminated by some extra torch light... It depends what sort of lens and camera you have.

I’m running a Nikon D5100 with a selection of lenses (worth more than my wife knows, so don’t tell her).

We are staying in Threlkeld, few miles from Keswick, so low light pollution might help. I like the idea of a permanently attached tripod or monopod, but it’s just too difficult, as I’m either pushing a buggy or carrying a million bags. It is going to be largely shoot and go - though I think squeezing the tripod in the back of the car for some night time sky shots might be good.

helipilot

Jan 20, 2010
Cemetary-2.jpg
One from the cemetery.... some Chipmunk prayers!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’m running a Nikon D5100 with a selection of lenses (worth more than my wife knows, so don’t tell her).

We are staying in Threlkeld, few miles from Keswick, so low light pollution might help. I like the idea of a permanently attached tripod or monopod, but it’s just too difficult, as I’m either pushing a buggy or carrying a million bags. It is going to be largely shoot and go - though I think squeezing the tripod in the back of the car for some night time sky shots might be good.

I can recommend the Horse & Farrier in Threlkeld. And in Keswick - the Dog & Gun is a super pub for both food and beer. With a buggy, there is the new (tarmac) railway path from Threlkeld into Keswick. Also, you should be able to get up Latrigg with a buggy https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/things-to-do/walking/mileswithoutstiles/mws38. The start point of that walk is the other side of the fell from Keswick and the A66, so should be good for dark skies. Enjoy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Exposure bracketing. Anyone else use it?

I liked the idea, but it does mean a lot more work deleting pics and deciding which ones I prefer. Also, I'm finding I'm consistently going for the so called under exposed images. Surely this is all subjective isn't it? Or camera specific maybe? I wonder if it matches my own taste in that I'm no fan of bright sunny days. Also darker images seem to me to bring out more detail.

As a complete novice, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in determining a 'good' image from a 'poor' one. I'm not seeing all the fuss about shadows. Perhaps that's is because I don't really do any Street photography perhaps?

Sorry for random post. Just interested in a spot of general photography chat here as a distraction.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Exposure bracketing. Anyone else use it?

I liked the idea, but it does mean a lot more work deleting pics and deciding which ones I prefer. Also, I'm finding I'm consistently going for the so called under exposed images. Surely this is all subjective isn't it? Or camera specific maybe? I wonder if it matches my own taste in that I'm no fan of bright sunny days. Also darker images seem to me to bring out more detail.

As a complete novice, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in determining a 'good' image from a 'poor' one. I'm not seeing all the fuss about shadows. Perhaps that's is because I don't really do any Street photography perhaps?

Sorry for random post. Just interested in a spot of general photography chat here as a distraction.

I often use 1/3 bracketing on iso. I like the choice although like you I prefer underexposed to over. I also love a lot of still life images of my garden, individual leaf detail for instance where there's a lot of contrast between dark and light in the frame.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Photography, I believe, is a very subjective subject. It's like art or gardens, whereby people like a certain painting or garden or don't. I take photos for me, hoping that other people like them.
An example of what I like to do is to take photos of butterflies with a nice clean smokey background. Some people say they prefer them with some leaves or the foodplant in focus to make them look more natural. Neither can be right or wrong.
Apart from "The Rule of Thirds", which I tend to take in to account with compostion, I just take photos and edit them to my liking. It's what sets different photographers apart and you develope your own style.
All in all, there's not really a thing as a bad photo unless you really cock-up the focus or cut things heads off!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I follow a page on facebook - Wil Photography who recently posted this photo with the text

FINALLY after 7 attempts I got a sharp image of the international Space Station flying in front of the Sun!

At exactly 12:36pm and 30 seconds - line of sight meant from a location 20 miles south of me the ISS would Transit in front of the Sun this would only last 0.67 seconds.

This imaged was achieved by using my camera and a 100-400mm lens with a 1.4 extender AND a solar filter

I’m so happy!! I’ve tried over a year for this!

869FC76D-75CC-4F32-A18A-7C763FA596EF.jpeg

Amazing!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I follow a page on facebook - Wil Photography who recently posted this photo with the text

FINALLY after 7 attempts I got a sharp image of the international Space Station flying in front of the Sun!

At exactly 12:36pm and 30 seconds - line of sight meant from a location 20 miles south of me the ISS would Transit in front of the Sun this would only last 0.67 seconds.

This imaged was achieved by using my camera and a 100-400mm lens with a 1.4 extender AND a solar filter

View attachment 151262

Amazing!

That's fantastic. Photographers will fully understand their joy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

View attachment 151262

Amazing!

Amazing indeed. Great pic .

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Good for you. I see you had a bit of blue sky as well. Did you get right round the lake in the end?

Thanks for asking, the weather here has been amazing, lots of blue sky and sunshine, not the silly temperatures of home, which has been nice.

We couldn’t get the whole way round as the far end at Gatesgarth wasn’t buggy friendly. We drove away from Buttermere up the Honiston Pass, that really takes your breath away.

It’s been a good week away and I will be sad to come away tomorrow - I’m going to miss the hulking great hills...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here