Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The sunset was fantastic on saturday and managed to catch a few shots

11059079036_0e965c81cf_z.jpg
Very nice.

PS - the horizon is a tiny bit out of level in your second shot.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Photography experts - I've got a Nikon D5000 and I'm convinced it's not taking as good pictures as it used to - more noise, slower to focus, lots of shot out of focus. Do cameras ever need an overhaul / maintenance, and is that something I, a complete novice, could do? I've got a grubby one and a half year old who has probably smeared all sorts over it, but the lense seems clear.

As a second question, I've got a couple of shots I think could be improved by someone with photoshop / lightroom expertise. Not anything special, and they just need tinkering with, but I wouldn't mind getting them printed off decent size to see what they would look like and I think they could be better than they are at the minute. Is there a place where people do that for you?!

Thanks very much

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Hi all,

Over recent years I've used both a DSLR (with an additional telephoto lens) and a Bridge camera but I'm just finding that I don't take that out much as they're quite bulky so I'm going to sell them and replace with something else. What are peoples views on Compact System cameras? I'd like something thats similar to the Bridge/DSLR but is smaller to carry around. I like taking a whole range of photos from action at sports events, to scenery, close ups as well as portraits - I know, I know I don't want much!

Any views on compact systems in general or more specific models if you've used them gratefully received!

Thanks,

Z

p.s. if anyone is interested in the cameras I've got them on EBay as

Panasonic Lumix FZ150 Bridge Camera
Nikon D40x DSLR with 18-55mm lens
Nikkor 18-200mm telephoto lens

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Photography experts - I've got a Nikon D5000 and I'm convinced it's not taking as good pictures as it used to - more noise, slower to focus, lots of shot out of focus. Do cameras ever need an overhaul / maintenance, and is that something I, a complete novice, could do? I've got a grubby one and a half year old who has probably smeared all sorts over it, but the lense seems clear.

As a second question, I've got a couple of shots I think could be improved by someone with photoshop / lightroom expertise. Not anything special, and they just need tinkering with, but I wouldn't mind getting them printed off decent size to see what they would look like and I think they could be better than they are at the minute. Is there a place where people do that for you?!

Thanks very much

Do you shoot in auto? If so, you may find that as the days are getting shorter and the light levels decrease, the camera will account for this by automatically changing the ISO, which introduces more noise. Similarly, in lower light, entry level cameras can struggle to find accurate focus. It all depends on where you are finding these problems to be honest.

As for the photoshop/Lightroom work you need done, how much do you need done? If it's only a few photos I'll happily have a look for you.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice re lenses...

I have a Canon 550D and have been quite happy with the lens it came with. Recently though I'm beginning to feel a tad frustrated at its limited zoom, and not being able to play around with DoF as much as I'd like.

It's an 18-55, with a .25m close up. Is there one anyone could recommend as a step up?

Thanks.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice re lenses...

I have a Canon 550D and have been quite happy with the lens it came with. Recently though I'm beginning to feel a tad frustrated at its limited zoom, and not being able to play around with DoF as much as I'd like.

It's an 18-55, with a .25m close up. Is there one anyone could recommend as a step up?

Thanks.

i'm actually looking for a similar lens and i'm planning to get this one, http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-af-28-75mm/MzY3

That is really for if you want to play with zoom AND depth of field. you could spend a similar amount and get a longer zoom (e.g. 70-300 which are relatively inexpensive http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-70-300mm-f/OTE0) and also get a 50mm 1.8, which you can get for around £70-100 (http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-50mm-f-1/NTgy)

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
i'm actually looking for a similar lens and i'm planning to get this one, http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-af-28-75mm/MzY3

That is really for if you want to play with zoom AND depth of field. you could spend a similar amount and get a longer zoom (e.g. 70-300 which are relatively inexpensive http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-70-300mm-f/OTE0) and also get a 50mm 1.8, which you can get for around £70-100 (http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-50mm-f-1/NTgy)

Ok, some questions...

The aperture doesn't change - I assumed that would be a hindrance?
When you say 50mm 1.8, what does that refer to?

Apologies for my basic (if even that!) knowledge.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Ok, some questions...

The aperture number attached to a particular lens is the minimum aperture it can open up to. The 50mm 1.8 for example opens up to f/1.8, allowing you to get a very shallow depth of field to get that nice blurred background effect (i have one myself), it can stop down to f/22 as well which gives you a very large depth of field, which you would need if you were shooting landscapes, where you want everything to be in focus. Also, f/1.8 allows a lot more light to enter the lens than the standard kit lens, which means you can use it in much lower light than the kit lens (without having to increase the ISO)

The first lens i linked is a zoom which can open up to f/2.8 which allows for a shallow depth of field, but also allows you to zoom. Usually you'd have to pay a large amount of money for that with an expensive canon lens, but the tamron is a cheaper alternative.

feel free to PM me if you need any more advice!

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Just a brief note of caution about Digital Rev - the second you have a problem with the lens (although we all hope you won't) it'll need to be shipped back to Hong Kong for examination/repair. It'll be a 'grey market' product and the manufacturer won't honour the warranty in the UK or EU. Cheap up front - massive problems if you get a dud. From my perspective I'd pay more, buy online from a UK retailer and have a lot more peace of mind.

'Fixed' aperture means you can choose to make it fixed, across the whole length of the zoom, at whatever aperture you choose within the lens's range. If it's not got a fixed aperture, the aperture will change as you zoom in and out and this can play havoc with your settings, once you know what you're trying to achieve.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Just a brief note of caution about Digital Rev - the second you have a problem with the lens (although we all hope you won't) it'll need to be shipped back to Hong Kong for examination/repair. It'll be a 'grey market' product and the manufacturer won't honour the warranty in the UK or EU. Cheap up front - massive problems if you get a dud. From my perspective I'd pay more, buy online from a UK retailer and have a lot more peace of mind.

'Fixed' aperture means you can choose to make it fixed, across the whole length of the zoom, at whatever aperture you choose within the lens's range. If it's not got a fixed aperture, the aperture will change as you zoom in and out and this can play havoc with your settings, once you know what you're trying to achieve.

Not true, their warranty works by getting a quote from a local camera repair shop to you and they will pay the bill if it needs repairs. They have fantastic reviews for their warranty.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ok, some questions...

I've got a Canon 500D with a Canon EFS 17-85mm which is a very good everyday lens.

MPB Photography are based in Brighton and have a range of used lenses. I got mine from there and they do give a warranty if anything goes wrong. You can pop in to see them, their office is just down from the Amex HQ.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/

Last edited:

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I've got a Canon 500D with a Canon EFS 17-85mm which is a very good everyday lens.

MPB Photography are based in Brighton and have a range of used lenses. I got mine from there and they do give a warranty if anything goes wrong. You can pop in to see them, their office is just down from the Amex HQ.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lenses/

Yep, MPB are very good and I would always buy a secondhand lens. Maybe not a camera, but a lens will be just the same and a lot better price.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Do you shoot in auto? If so, you may find that as the days are getting shorter and the light levels decrease, the camera will account for this by automatically changing the ISO, which introduces more noise. Similarly, in lower light, entry level cameras can struggle to find accurate focus. It all depends on where you are finding these problems to be honest.

As for the photoshop/Lightroom work you need done, how much do you need done? If it's only a few photos I'll happily have a look for you.

Thanks for the reply - forgot I had asked the question until I saw this thread bounced today.

I googled around a bit, and found out it was something called / to do with distortion. It turns out I needed to upgrade my firmware. Since doing that things seem to be much better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here