Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
That sounds just about right. Thanks!

Is thereany particular camera that's good for cityscapes or are they all much of a muchness?

There are 1001 options.

First rule: You don't need a bulky DLSR - a compact mirrorless will do.

Worth researching Micro Four Thirds if you're on a budget.

Second hand a good way to go, because hobbyists are always ungrading (unnecessarily).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
That sounds just about right. Thanks!

Is thereany particular camera that's good for cityscapes or are they all much of a muchness?

I'm really no expert mate, I'm sure one of the more competent photographers in this thread would be of more use.

My only advice would be to start cheap, buy used and learn the basics of the exposure triangle.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What's your budget? You can get a perfectly good beginners' setup for somewhere around £100. I started a year and a bit ago with a Canon 1100 & 50mm f/1.8. Suggest a 35mm to start off with if you're shooting cityscapes

I have an old sony. Unfortunately it struggles to even do the basics of a phone.

I endorse the buy second hand. I have had a lot of second hand cameras as i searched for the elusive one. None failed on me, the only failures I have had are are new cameras. 2 of them.

One factor is also size. Sony Rx100 is a pocket size camera with a good sensor and full manual control.

Pansonic Gnnn series are good as well. Not a DSLR but mirrorless format so they are also a lot lighter than a DSLR.

I took this with my Pentax K-x when i knew very little about photography using the standard kit lense. Note I bought mine new and it did fail on me so cannot recommend as such but i do like pentax. NOTE most people process their images to improve things, this has not been changed other than 2 reduce the size and quality.

IMGP2923.jpg

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I endorse the buy second hand. I have had a lot of second hand cameras as i searched for the elusive one. None failed on me, the only failures I have had are are new cameras. 2 of them.

One factor is also size. Sony Rx100 is a pocket size camera with a good sensor and full manual control.

Pansonic Gnnn series are good as well. Not a DSLR but mirrorless format so they are also a lot lighter than a DSLR.

I took this with my Pentax K-x when i knew very little about photography using the standard kit lense. Note I bought mine new and it did fail on me so cannot recommend as such but i do like pentax. NOTE most people process their images to improve things, this has not been changed other than 2 reduce the size and quality.

View attachment 132053

Thanks, that's some useful information. Much appreciated.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ha. Camera was on a mini tripod.

I often do 4 or 8min exposures to smooth water, but it's too long for clouds (they disappear completely).

More long exposures on my Instagram page. :thumbsup:

There's some wonderful photos on your Instagram page. I've been meaning to go to London for some night shots for months. I will do this soon.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What's your budget? You can get a perfectly good beginners' setup for somewhere around £100. I started a year and a bit ago with a Canon 1100 & 50mm f/1.8. Suggest a 35mm to start off with if you're shooting cityscapes

I have an old sony. Unfortunately it struggles to even do the basics of a phone.

Ha. Camera was on a mini tripod.

I often do 4 or 8min exposures to smooth water, but it's too long for clouds (they disappear completely).

More long exposures on my Instagram page. :thumbsup:

good pictures... still perplexed by the length of the exposure are you using some sort of ND filter as well or very small apertures? The picture I put up (and I am not comparing quality but amount of light) was only exposed for 2 secs with a F/4.5 aperture with minimal ISO. just checked your comments and you were F4.... need to digest this a bit more.

Regards long exposures only ones i have tried re for the milkyway and even then they cap out at 5secs....

Photography is just one long learning process.

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I got this last night. A bit out of focus, perhaps, but I think that added a bit of atmosphere.
It was bloody cold, maybe I was shivering when I took it.

IMG_20210109_104911.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I got this last night. A bit out of focus, perhaps, but I think that added a bit of atmosphere.
It was bloody cold, maybe I was shivering when I took it.

View attachment 132317

Hope this is OK with you. I did a little bit of editing to make a nice photo even nicer.

Attachments

• Shropie 2.jpg
    Shropie 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
More long exposures on my Instagram page. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Some nice pics on there Wozza, particularly like Streatham Common Station, London Bridge Station and Tottenham Court Road Station Pics

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here