Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The fact of the matter is that Boris won and was a disaster as many predicted.

The fact of the matter is that Boris won and was a disaster as many predicted.
As I said in my post, neither candidate was suitable to run the country and that was the sad state of British politics at the time.
Yes, Johnson was a total shambles as PM, but given the choice between the two, I venture to say that the electorate were more scared of a Corbyn led administration and hence the result.
Anyway, we are going over old ground and I hope, for the good of the country, that the Labour Party do a good job of running the country. They’ve got a tough time ahead and just ‘not being the Tories’ will only take them so far for so long.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Corbyn was never going to 'win' a majority or anything close, but if had won sufficient seats that Johnson hadn't got that huge majority and had to actually rely on anyone from the centre of his own party, or any other MPs from anywhere else on the political spectrum, or any sort of coalition had taken place between any of the major parties, we wouldn't have had the unfettered narcissistic orgy at the heart of Government ©Dominic Cummings. I think there is no way Labour would be anywhere close to the odds on favourites they are at this election.

Because the country wouldn't have had 5 years of such dreadful, dishonest, incompetent, self serving Government and be in such a dreadful state :wink:
It is old ground again, but if Labour had voted for a half decent leader then perhaps, or certainly, there would have been a closer result, but that, of course, doesn’t excuse Johnson’s chaos. Anyway, you know that.
Looking to the future and as a Leftie, you must be excited about the prospect of a Labour Government with a sizeable/ possibly huge majority and I genuinely hope Sir Keir and his troops do a fine job for the country.👍

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It is old ground again, but if Labour had voted for a half decent leader then perhaps, or certainly, there would have been a closer result, but that, of course, doesn’t excuse Johnson’s chaos. Anyway, you know that.
Looking to the future and as a Leftie, you must be excited about the prospect of a Labour Government with a sizeable/ possibly huge majority and I genuinely hope Sir Keir and his troops do a fine job for the country.👍

A 'leftie' who has voted for candidates from every major party over the years :thumbsup:

Shirley, you are not suggesting that calling out narcissism, corruption, incompetence and dishonesty is only ever done by people from the left ? But yes I am looking forward to the end of this current cabal and some sort of centrist normality :lolol:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

A little light relief and only 3 minutes out of your day

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A 'leftie' who has voted for candidates from every major party over the years :thumbsup:

Shirley, you are not suggesting that calling out narcissism, corruption, incompetence and dishonesty is only ever done by people from the left ? But yes I am looking forward to the end of this current cabal and some sort of centrist normality :lolol:
Haha, well you give this old fella the impression of being a Leftie, anyway!😁
No, narcissism, corruption and dishonesty in Government are totally unacceptable and should be condemned by all decent citizens, whatever their political persuasion. Incompetence is extremely unfortunate in politics, but I’m afraid that politicians , being human, will continue to be incompetent from time to time and will always be prone to the usual gaffes and cockups that we are all guilty of at some time in our lives.👍

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interesting article on the Tory’s demise. This is years in the making, not Sunak’s fault as the arrogant tw@t Kwarteng would try to trick people …. already plotting for power. The Tories have left themselves just with an elderly/older Brexit demographic, now they’re fighting for those few million votes with Farage’s racists.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...k-tories-election-conservatives-david-cameron

La fin.
Haven't read the article, will do at some point, but has Brexit and their handling of it killed the Tories?

Feels like a factor to me.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Going to vote tonight. Still undecided. Whoever I do it won’t make a difference in my ward. Regardless I’m really voting for ‘hope’ as in hope whoever gets in makes things better across a broad number of areas: health, education, defence, economy, crime and so forth.

Apathetically, I’m not at all hopeful though anyone can or will

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven't read the article, will do at some point, but has Brexit and their handling of it killed the Tories?

Feels like a factor to me.

I’ve since looked at detailed polling. The cost of living dominates by a big distance.

Elections other than 2019 are always decided on personal finances.

Makes sense - mortgage rates, rents, groceries. People are hurt.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Daily Mail are trying to hoodwink the public again , an opinion poll suggests its still not over for the Tories due to undecided voters on the right.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Going to vote tonight. Still undecided. Whoever I do it won’t make a difference in my ward. Regardless I’m really voting for ‘hope’ as in hope whoever gets in makes things better across a broad number of areas: health, education, defence, economy, crime and so forth.

Apathetically, I’m not at all hopeful though anyone can or will
Don't worry - six months down the line it will be like we never had an election.

I'm a bit busy next Thursday. If all goes to plan I should be home by about 9.00pm and will swing by the village hall to vote, if I can find the polling card. But if I get delayed here and there, I'll just sack it off and come straight home.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't worry - six months down the line it will be like we never had an election.

I'm a bit busy next Thursday. If all goes to plan I should be home by about 9.00pm and will swing by the village hall to vote, if I can find the polling card. But if I get delayed here and there, I'll just sack it off and come straight home.
You don't need the polling card but you do need valid photo ID

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haha, well you give this old fella the impression of being a Leftie, anyway!😁
No, narcissism, corruption and dishonesty in Government are totally unacceptable and should be condemned by all decent citizens, whatever their political persuasion. Incompetence is extremely unfortunate in politics, but I’m afraid that politicians , being human, will continue to be incompetent from time to time and will always be prone to the usual gaffes and cockups that we are all guilty of at some time in our lives.👍

I’m sure Owen Jones, Toynbee, Coogan and Corbyn will spend the next 10 years ‘unravelling’ all the Red Tory gaffs, incompetences and injustices.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reply below. Whoops!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starmer had the wit not not fall into Nicky Campbell's trap this morning and 'condemn' Trump, given that Trump may well end up POTAS again in November. There is no point a politician offering an opinion about something over which one has no influence, but which one will have to deal with as part of the job. Starmer may be dull, but he's measured. That has to be a refreshing change. In fact it is almost as if the British public have forgotten what it's like, and expect gobshitery, hubris and posturing as a matter of course.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry are you without reply?😁
Sorry I pressed the wrong button. Reply above.

Good job I'm not in charge of Britain's nuclear deterrent. Paris would have been flattened by now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
With the increasing possibility of a Trump return, and a couple of Euro nations heading a little right with their futures, I am genuinely intrigued as to how Starmer will cope in any powwows.

I accept that his dull, steadfast and soporific delivery may win the day in a situation where the opposition gives him the rifle to aim into the barrel, I fear that he may be left behind when chewing the fat with more dynamic leaders.

Time will tell.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
With the increasing possibility of a Trump return, and a couple of Euro nations heading a little right with their futures, I am genuinely intrigued as to how Starmer will cope in any powwows.

I accept that his dull, steadfast and soporific delivery may win the day in a situation where the opposition gives him the rifle to aim into the barrel, I fear that he may be left behind when chewing the fat with more dynamic leaders.

Time will tell.
He was the country's top prosecutor. I reckon he might just be able to cope with gobshites. He finished Johnson. Slowly, carefully & completely

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He was the country's top prosecutor. I reckon he might just be able to cope with gobshites. He finished Johnson. Slowly, carefully & completely
Maybe worth reinforcing then.

Easy pickings against a failing govt, against others where his position of power is slightly less obvious, then I fear he'll be left floundering.
Still, as I said the proof of the pudding.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here