Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hence him thinking it’s OK to charge VAT on private school fees on people who pay for their kid’s education rather than using the free system. Disgusting imo
Hence?

What part of ending the 'charity' status of fee-paying schools do you find 'disgusting'?

Perhaps you'd like private healthcare to be classified as a 'charity' too?

What about betting? That would be really popular!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
was that enough pensioners disliked Farage for everything he is and disliked the idea of Starmer supporting assisted dying.
In my experience I'd say both are extremely long shots. All the old people I know love Farage, and all of them agree with assisted dying as they've seen too many of their relatives/partners suffer from long and painful illnesses.

The Tories are totally doomed.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Hence?

What part of ending the 'charity' status of fee-paying schools do you find 'disgusting'?

Nope but taxing people who don’t use the system is disgusting imo, however you want to dress it up, they are already paying with National Insurance for things they will not be using and at inflated rates over most as they have money/high wages. They are already paying more than the vast majority.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Several people have commented on Starmer being weak. I'm curious to know where this idea has come from. I can't say I'm a big fan of everything he's done but I can't argue with his story. The fella comes from an ordinary background (OK, he's piled on the toolmaker a bit thick but he's still not privileged brat), went to state school and a red-brick uni (although to Oxford for his postgraduate work).

He them became a lawyer and not just any lawyer - the head of the CPS. He then went into politics, became leader of his party in fewer than five years and since then he has taken Labour from their worst defeat in about 90 years to a position where they're predicted to win by a landslide -having rooted out the Corbynistas. That's not a history that suggests a weak personality.
The far left think he's weak for not promising to renationalize everything.
The extreme remainers think he's weak for not premising to force us back into the EU (the single market at the very least)
Mischievous Tories claim he is weak because of all the imaginary things they claim he will do in power, such as caving in to the unions.

Weak, weak, weak.

Like 'bambi' Blair (if you remember that other failed trope).

:facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My
I suspect @golddene means Brexit.
My thoughts too. If so then I was vehemently against leaving, but I did believe that the democratic will expressed should be respected. That alone made me vote for Boris at the last GE.

And just for context, there were not too many people on this forum who took a direct financial hit like I did because of Brexit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nope but taxing people who don’t use the system is disgusting imo, however you want to dress it up.
Taxing which people who don't use what system?

You do realize that you and I are taxed every week to pay for the police, and yet we never use them (I don't anyway). And the army. And don't start me on motorways up North. Why should I pay tax to fund that when I don't use it? And what about sea defenses?

And what about state schools? If you don't have kids why should you have to pay taxes to subsidise those who send kids to state school?

The answer to these vexing questions can be found here:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My

My thoughts too. If so then I was vehemently against leaving, but I did believe that the democratic will expressed should be respected. That alone made me vote for Boris at the last GE.

And just for context, there were not too many people on this forum who took a direct financial hit like I did because of Brexit.
With apologies. I thought you were in favour of Brexit. I must have you mixed up with another poster.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Taxing which people who don't use what system?

You do realize that you and I are taxed every week to pay for the police, and yet we never use them (I don't anyway). And the army. And don't start me on motorways up North. Why should I pay tax to fund that when I don't use it? And what about sea defenses?

And what about state schools? If you don't have kids why should you have to pay taxes to subsidise those who send kids to state school?

The answer to these vexing questions can be found here:

Except you are not being asked to pay MORE for not using what you mention, private school parents and people who pay for private health care ARE or in the case of private school education will be. Perhaps you’d be OK with paying an extra 20% on what you don’t use or being taxed on what you don’t use for the NHS?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hence?

mixing up charity status and VAT. currently all education and training is VAT exempt, the policy is to apply VAT for a select segment of education (for now). charity status is a different matter, i recall they were going to change that for private schools but no longer. (probably VAT is easier?)

we also dont charge VAT on healthcare either. private healthcare might be a new target to pay for nurses?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
mixing up charity status and VAT. currently all education and training is VAT exempt, the policy is to apply VAT for a select segment of eduction (for now). charity status is a different matter, i recall they were going to change that for private schools but no longer. (probably VAT is easier?)

we also dont charge VAT on healthcare either. private healthcare might be a new target to pay for nurses?
But if you choose to have private healthcare you will be charged on it as a benefit in kind. It’s been like that under any party for years. Very unfair imo as you are not using the NHS which you are already paying for through NI.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought just about everyone bar Mordaunt came across well. She had an opportunity to really spear Rayner with one question and absolutely blew it. Asking Rayner to deny that labour would raise Capital Gains Tax, which Mordaunt said would hit hard working families when they sold their houses. It was just lame.

She also visibly gulped when the government's schools record was attacked, specifically on their failure to address crumbling school buildings. Defending this governments record is tough, but Mel Stride for one has looked a lot more competent and capable than Pompey Penny.
The low point of the debate was when Mordaunt baited Rayner with the CGT question. Initially, I thought Mordaunt was being sneaky asking about CGT knowing full well that Rayner had personally been investigated for possible CGT tax evasion. However, not only did Mordaunt fail to include this aspect into her question and so hit two birds with one stone, but neither of them appeared to be aware that you don't pay CGT on the sale of your Principal Private Residence, i.e. home.

If Rayner had nous she'd have pointed this fact out to Mordaunt and made her look stupid but Rayner herself appeared oblivious to the tax law.

The blind leading the blind.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Except you are not being asked to pay MORE for not using what you mention, private school parents and people who pay for private health care ARE or in the case of private school education will be. Perhaps you’d be OK with paying an extra 20% on what you don’t use or being taxed on what you don’t use for the NHS?
At least you won't have to pay the 25% VAT on common sense some of us have to

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But if you choose to have private healthcare you will be charged on it as a benefit in kind. It’s been like that under any party for years. Very unfair imo as you are not using the NHS which you are already paying for through NI.
You are using the NHS .Because the NHS will almost certainly have delivered you, kept you healthy before you have private healthcare, trained the staff there, be there if something goes wrong with your private healthcare and deal with you at the end

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
You are using the NHS .Because the NHS will almost certainly have delivered you, kept you healthy before you have private healthcare, trained the staff there, be there if something goes wrong with your private healthcare and deal with you at the end
My parents paid for that through NI and I will have been paying for NHS healthcare since I started earning money. Have YOU paid any extra for what you get which is exactly what I am entitled to and have paid for anyway? Weak argument, as if I have private medical insurance I am paying twice, and getting taxed on the private part.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is a benefit. all addon's from employment are taxed, sensibly so you dont get around tax, and it's consistent. the VAT change is a break of consistency.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
it is a benefit. all addon's from employment are taxed, sensibly so you dont get around tax, and it's consistent. the VAT change is a break of consistency.
It is a benefit that I pay to the insurance company, harsh to then make me pay again.

I no longer have it BTW, so it no longer affects me but I do feel strongly about it :smile:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
My parents paid for that through NI and I will have been paying for NHS healthcare since I started earning money. Have YOU paid any extra for what you get which is exactly what I am entitled to and have paid for anyway? Weak argument, as if I have private medical insurance I am paying twice.
But you are making a free choice to pay for something you presumably value for some reason. If the cost changes for any reason you can make a different choice. That's capitalism isn't it? If you ever have an emergency medical issue you can bet it will the NHS that saves you.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
But you are making a free choice to pay for something you presumably value for some reason. If the cost changes for any reason you can make a different choice. That's capitalism isn't it? If you ever have an emergency medical issue you can bet it will the NHS that saves you.
And they have, but I have paid for it! I have nothing but good things to say about the NHS, but if I needed a hip or knee op as an example I am not doing it via the NHS if I have paid for medical insurance. Why should I also be taxed on that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here