Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Don't think that's really the point. He's the Prime Minister of the country. That means occasionally doing what you 'should do' rather than what you 'want to do'.
I agree to a point, but then Redwood would have been better keeping his mouth shut than trying to sing the Welsh anthem.

Many of our new fellow citizens, of which Rishi is one one have no deep rooted connection to our past and he could have taken that stance in a more elegant way than he did, after all the King was already there.

In truth, you can understand his thinking on that basis given that Charlie was doing the heavy lifting, and he would have been better to say “do you know what, I have no cultural connection to this commemoration, and I would have been a fraud going along with it” as oppose to muppeting along like Redwood.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My own view last night was

Farage - knew he wouldn't win in a balanced audience. Knows he can't defend Brexit.

Rhun Ap Iowerth (Plaid Cymru leader) - fairly middle. Won't have won or lost support last night

Daisy Cooper- I was surprised by her, better than I had thought she would be and answered the medical student in a well balanced way

Stephen Flynn - a decent orator and landed his punches. If I was in Scotland I can see why many are tempted to vote for snp

Carla Denyer - surprisingly good and landed a couple of great quotes on nhs/immigration and the mourdant 'lecture o thon' to her left

Rayner - safe and er that's it. Wasn't going to let the fragrant Penny jab her finger at her and traded blows. Different tactic to starmer when faced by interruption and better moderating ensured she got her point across..she will have aggravated the people who don't like Northern opinionated women

Mordaunt - omg what a nightmare. Hectoring and interrupting made her come across as moody. She usually performs better in the commons where she had to abide by the rules. A weaker moderator would have let her get away with more but the stronger approach made her look a bit dim. She is still better than sunak though and will appeal to those with nanny issues and missing Mrs T

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I hate to say it, but Angela let herself down, she let Snp and Green party out shine her by some distance. You could see from this performance she is not a potential party leader. I hope this won't lose too many votes for us come polling day.
She doesn't have to be. You need all types to make a successful cabinet, not just potential leaders. Indeed, in some way having a dedicated loyal team that aren't back-stabbing with an eye on the top job would be quite a good thing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My own view last night was

Farage - knew he wouldn't win in a balanced audience. Knows he can't defend Brexit.

Rhun Ap Iowerth (Plaid Cymru leader) - fairly middle. Won't have won or lost support last night

Daisy Cooper- I was surprised by her, better than I had thought she would be and answered the medical student in a well balanced way

Stephen Flynn - a decent orator and landed his punches. If I was in Scotland I can see why many are tempted to vote for snp

Carla Denyer - surprisingly good and landed a couple of great quotes on nhs/immigration and the mourdant 'lecture o thon' to her left

Rayner - safe and er that's it. Wasn't going to let the fragrant Penny jab her finger at her and traded blows. Different tactic to starmer when faced by interruption and better moderating ensured she got her point across..she will have aggravated the people who don't like Northern opinionated women

Mordaunt - omg what a nightmare. Hectoring and interrupting made her come across as moody. She usually performs better in the commons where she had to abide by the rules. A weaker moderator would have let her get away with more but the stronger approach made her look a bit dim. She is still better than sunak though and will appeal to those with nanny issues and missing Mrs T
Only if she smiles a bit. Naughty boys do like the prospect of a spanking, but they are hoping for a 'cuddle' afterwards.

On reflection, perhaps Mordor was still seething over Sunk's jackass antics, and it infected her mojo.

And I admit to an antipathy towards shouty northern women who muddle up simple words. I forget what it was she muddled up but she did it twice. I remember wincing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

IMG_4871.jpeg

This ‘wet’ nanny was still providing him with ‘bitty’ well into his 30’s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She doesn't have to be. You need all types to make a successful cabinet, not just potential leaders. Indeed, in some way having a dedicated loyal team that aren't back-stabbing with an eye on the top job would be quite a good thing.
Indeed. A Prescott-style deputy is, I hope, what would satisfy her. The way Prescott wound his neck in to be a loyal deputy always surprised (and impressed) me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I sensed perhaps some discomfort having to follow orders as well. She is normally one of their better performers and not too shabby an MP I understand.
Feisty in the house. But not necessarily what you want in the drawing room ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not sure that was the case. It appears that his involvement was planned weeks ago and the schedule wasn't changed. There would have been no headlines had there not be an election.

I don't think it's a thing. But the media have made it a thing. The BBC interviewer was goading him by saying 'you don't care' which actually, and unusually for a Tory, made me a bit sorry for him. He's been at a lot of events.

The thing that also annoys me is the goading of old soldiers into angry quotes. Making them pawns to ham up the circus.

Strange world. As usual, showing how our media is an ugly joke.
Can’t disagree about the media, however…

The PM created this situation. He told a lie in the first debate that created the news story the following day. He then chose to double down on it, and that it turn meant he felt it was desperately important enough to attend the ITV interview rather than cancel it.

This is the person who should be running the country, and he doesn’t seem capable of managing his own diary, when he should be capable of making appropriate decisions on the importantance of events he is attending.

The Tories benefit massively from donations for their campaign fund, and have a largely sympathetic if not supportive media - this one’s about judgement rather than the media.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 183658
This ‘wet’ nanny was still providing him with ‘bitty’ well into his 30’s.
Is that the anti-growth coalition? I'm told that Lotte Lenya was a dirty cah when she was younger and it is so sad to see someone go so downhill.

1717839985827.png

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is that the anti-growth coalition? I'm told that Lotte Lenya was a dirty cah when she was younger and it is so sad to see someone go so downhill.

View attachment 183660
Anti-growth? I think there may well be a correlation between his gangly height and the nanny nourishment he received!

And as for Lotte, she was clearly not required to perform the marital duties in her own bedroom so would have had plenty of time to nurse, comfort and cajole a teenage Jacob through the night.

“Lenya's second husband (1951–57) was American editor George Davis, who was homosexual.[19] After Davis' death in 1957, she married artist Russell Detwiler in 1962, who was homosexual as well.” Wiki

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anti-growth? I think there may well be a correlation between his gangly height and the nanny nourishment he received!

And as for Lotte, she was clearly not required to perform the marital duties in her own bedroom so would have had plenty of time to nurse, comfort and cajole a teenage Jacob through the night.

“Lenya's second husband (1951–57) was American editor George Davis, who was homosexual.[19] After Davis' death in 1957, she married artist Russell Detwiler in 1962, who was homosexual as well.” Wiki
Does that mean that George Davis wasn't really innocent? ???

The young Lotte, however:

1717841001179.png

Looks like a former (rather temporary) squeeze of mine who (coincidentally?) gave up bisexuality for full time sapphism in her early 20s <sigh>

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
There was a period of a couple of weeks or so when mortgage rates spiked following/around her budget, before falling to the general consensus. Some would have agreed new mortgage rates during this period, potentially @Nobby kids.
On 27 September, banks and building societies withdrew some mortgage products amid concerns about an increase in the interest rate. Virgin Money and the Skipton Building Societystopped mortgage offers for new customers, and the Bank of Ireland halted all new mortgage offers.[62] Nationwide Building Society announced increases in its fixed rate mortgages by between 0.90% and 1.20% from the next day.[63]

By 29 September, 40% of mortgage products had been withdrawn from the UK market.[64][65] By 5 October, the interest rate on a typical two-year fixed-rate mortgage had risen above 6% for the first time since 2008

I came off a 1.7% fixed in September 2023 but started negotiating a remortgage range in Feb 23 and fixed at 3.91% or £340 a month more than I was paying. I booked the rate as early as possible due to to the damage they caused, which got a lot worse over the year.

I work in banking so was able to gage a rough credible estimate that I would have been looking at rates of about 2.25-2.40% without their involvement.

They can expect both barrels if they knock on my door ever again

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And I admit to an antipathy towards shouty northern women who muddle up simple words. I forget what it was she muddled up but she did it twice. I remember wincing.
Rayner mixed up 'abject' with 'abstract', i.e. you have an abstract record on the NHS. I picked up on this - it shows that she is not leadership material but she is direct, plain-speaking, she will fight her corner and is maturing as a debater. I think the days of her shouting 'Tory scum' are over; Mordaunt did try to goad her without success.

And anyway, Wes Streeting looks to me like the next leader of the Labour Party.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The clear winner …. Carla Denyer.

Hopefully this will translate into a few seats including ours here and perhaps in Bristol.
Thought her military answer was a bit off but otherwise did very well. I liked that SNP guy as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rayner mixed up 'abject' with 'abstract', i.e. you have an abstract record on the NHS. I picked up on this - it shows that she is not leadership material but she is direct, plain-speaking, she will fight her corner and is maturing as a debater. I think the days of her shouting 'Tory scum' are over; Mordaunt did try to goad her without success.

And anyway, Wes Streeting looks to me like the next leader of the Labour Party.
I noticed this as well. To be honest, I think a few muddled words and her accent help her sound more genuine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here