Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Mishal Husain's done an excellent job hosting the debate, moving swiftly to the next question and providing instant fact-checking.

As ref, she's let the game flow, allowed some committed challenges and whistled fairly quickly to stop play when needed.
Night and day from the ITV debacle. People can say what they want about the BBC but they are superb at things like this - there’s a reason they are still considered the best in the world

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
You wouldn’t say no :lolol: .

Rayner looked incredibly nervous of making a gaff. Cardboard-esque. Perhaps over briefed by PR people?
I 100% would say no as it goes.

A Thatcher wannabe does nothing for me

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Angela V Penny is a slamdunk for Angela all day everyday

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take a bow Mishal Husain. Moderating at its finest.

Mordaunt was the only one of the 7 to test her patience. I was impressed by Stephen Flynn of SNP, Daisy Cooper was good for Lib Dems, Farage was a hair's breadth from going full-on racist and - crucially - Rayner got through it without any cock ups.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The clear winner …. Carla Denyer.

Hopefully this will translate into a few seats including ours here and perhaps in Bristol.
Clear winner? The SNP chap Stephen Flynn was every bit as impressive, if not better. I'd say Daisy Cooper matched her as well. I thought Denyer had a terrible first ten minutes but settled in well and completed the trio of Impressive politicians.

Mordaunt was shockingly crap. Rude, unnecessary finger pointing and hounding Raynor at every turn instead of standing on her own record. Mind you, I was delighted that Farage's brand of populist unsubstantiated nonsense was largely dismissed out of hand, and he was firmly put in his place by Flynn several times. I can't bear the way Farage talks as if he's speaking on behalf of absolutely everybody else except career politicians. It's almost as if he spends his time talking In an echo chamber on a right wing politics chat show for a right wing broadcaster.

The Plaid Cymru guy was very middle performing and that just leaves Raynor. I always want her to do well as I like what she represents. But I'm sorry, she's a woefully wooden public speaker who doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Buy the way, very unfair question which asked why politicians promise the earth and always break them when they get into power. How is Farage supposed to answer that one? He hasn't ever been elected as an MP, having failed seven times and been beaten by a man dressed as a dolphin, the frog faced fraud.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rayner is basicallly the leader of the Labour party the only person that does not know that is Kier

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I thought Denyer had a terrible first ten minutes but settled in well and completed the trio of Impressive politicians.
Agreed
that just leaves Raynor. I always want her to do well as I like what she represents. But I'm sorry, she's a woefully wooden public speaker who doesn't fill me with any confidence.
It would help if she could animate her face at all. It's hard not to be wooden with a face full of Botox.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Mishal Husain's done an excellent job hosting the debate, moving swiftly to the next question and providing instant fact-checking.

As ref, she's let the game flow, allowed some committed challenges and whistled fairly quickly to stop play when needed.
It was better than Tuesday but that's because:
-- there was only two of them and, within that, only one of them that was talking over and interrupting the other...
-- ... which was facilitated by the 'referee' that was treating both sides equally
I'm rather fond of Mishal Husain, but she's not at her best tonight. Has barely got involved. It's the format that has actually achieved a little bit more civility, marred only by Farage posturing and the Mordaunt-Rayner tete-a-tete, in which Mordaunt has interrupted repeatedly with her Thatcher bouffant and Rayner has also had a poor night while chewing several wasps.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It was better than Tuesday but that's because:
-- there was only two of them and, within that, only one of them that was talking over and interrupting the other...
-- ... which was facilitated by the 'referee' that was treating both sides equally
I'm rather fond of Mishal Husain, but she's not at her best tonight. Has barely got involved. It's the format that has actually achieved a little bit more civility...
You've echoed my thoughts about the format in post 720 shortly after the debate began. :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I only watched a bit of it. Mordor seems to have gone mad. Why so angry?
Rayner is a good NCO but not officer material. Can see her shifted sideways in the cabinet and then out the cat flap within a year. Unless she can go full Prescott (loyal to the leader and always on script; she seemed nervous/angry tonight and doesn't have Prescott's humour, but there are obvious parallels with JP, if she can make that schtick work)

Last edited:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Wrong.

Not even close, the devil is as always in the detail, as oppose to a blind Pavlovian dog response of the old 2.5m loyal fighting indians bollouex.

British India was very important to the allied war effort but its loyalty was far from guaranteed. The British Government sent Stafford Cripps to India to make a declaration that a form of independence would be allowed in India on the assumption the Allies won the war. Accordingly it is safe to say that India and its armed forces were fighting with the allies to secure India’s future as an independent state, and rightly so. This motivation should not be conflated to fighting for Britain, or King and country, as you infer because that denigrates the motives for the vast majority of serving Indian soldiers in ww2.

That is not to say some Indian troops, which I note with sleight of hand includes the Nepalese and their contribution with the Ghurkas, were not fiercely loyal to this country and the crown. However, this loyalty was deep rooted in a quasi caste system approach to who were actually allowed to join the Indian Army and also who could be trusted to fight. High caste Hindus were for example considered troublemakers……..possibly a wise choice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_race

The motivation behind much recruitment into the Indian Army during ww2 was economic and not blind loyalty to Britain. Even the supreme commander of the Indian Army, Auchinleck said the Indian Army was not loyal to Britain. He was proved right during the war with thousands of serving Indian soldiers switching to the Indian National Army that fought for the Japanese. Literally just after the war mass mutinies in the Army and Navy in support for INA soldiers being tried for treason demonstrates that loyalty to Britain was paper thin, full independence was the aim, and so it followed.

Of course the INA and it’s other similar organisations could be considered a side show, however that view does not hold water in India, and it’s why INA soldiers post war received pensions from the Indian Government and veterans of the British Indian Army did not. In light of who the INA aligned with you could argue that is a strange choice.

So, why should Indians and British born Indians care for D-Day beyond it being another step towards delivering independence for India? Sunak and his advisors evidently don’t, and like Brown’s “bigoted woman” quote he would do better to be on the front foot about his cultural position that it doesn’t matter to him rather than hide behind an error of judgement bullsh*t.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I hate to say it, but Angela let herself down, she let Snp and Green party out shine her by some distance. You could see from this performance she is not a potential party leader. I hope this won't lose too many votes for us come polling day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here