Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you not think so? The British Prime Minister leaving D-Day commemorations early would have garnered headlines election or not.
I don't think so. I can't prove that, obviously, but I know what the media are like.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm not sure that was the case. It appears that his involvement was planned weeks ago and the schedule wasn't changed. There would have been no headlines had there not be an election.

I don't think it's a thing. But the media have made it a thing. The BBC interviewer was goading him by saying 'you don't care' which actually, and unusually for a Tory, made me a bit sorry for him. He's been at a lot of events.

The thing that also annoys me is the goading of old soldiers into angry quotes. Making them pawns to ham up the circus.

Strange world. As usual, showing how our media is an ugly joke.
He couldn't have been less deserving of your sympathy if he had turned up wearing Michael Foot's old coat.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He couldn't have been less deserving of your sympathy if he had turned up wearing Michael Foot's old coat.
Underlines my point really. There was nothing wrong with the coat the old man was wearing- especially as the Queen Mum had commented on how lovely and warm it was.

Michael Foot was a very soft natured bloke who was hounded by the right wing press.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I'm not sure that was the case. It appears that his involvement was planned weeks ago and the schedule wasn't changed. There would have been no headlines had there not be an election.

I don't think it's a thing. But the media have made it a thing. The BBC interviewer was goading him by saying 'you don't care' which actually, and unusually for a Tory, made me a bit sorry for him. He's been at a lot of events.

The thing that also annoys me is the goading of old soldiers into angry quotes. Making them pawns to ham up the circus.

Strange world. As usual, showing how our media is an ugly joke.
I disagree. He's the PM and we are remembering a culturally significant event. For him to have decided "weeks ago" that he wouldn't attend a remembrance with other world leaders just shows how out of touch he is. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he fitted in an interview with ITV (which only makes it worse), it's shameful full-stop. Does (did) he consider himself too important to attend? It's also strange that he is now remarkably contrite. It's almost as if he hadn't thought about it

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You just wonder what the Tories are going to do next to raise the shit bar in this shocking campaign. I’m fully expecting David Davis to drop trou and lay a cable in the privy chamber or something. Absolute mentalists

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I disagree. He's the PM and we are remembering a culturally significant event. For him to have decided "weeks ago" that he wouldn't attend a remembrance with other world leaders just shows how out of touch he is. This has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he fitted in an interview with ITV (which only makes it worse), it's shameful full-stop. Does (did) he consider himself too important to attend? It's also strange that he is now remarkably contrite. It's almost as if he hadn't thought about it
He's only 'contrite' because there's been criticism. He wouldn't have been sorry if there hadn't been a furore about it. He's not actually sorry that he didn't stay - seems as though he didn't even want to go in the first place.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
He's only 'contrite' because there's been criticism. He wouldn't have been sorry if there hadn't been a furore about it. He's not actually sorry that he didn't stay - seems as though he didn't even want to go in the first place.
Exactly that. I reckon he said f*** that I'll do one of them not both. Which in itself is bonkers cos he'd have been able to look "statesmanlike"

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
💯

It says everything about the man's character and that he probably doesn't really give a toss about the veterans and that he feels a level of entitlement that his personal wants are above it.

Incredibly crass and classless

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The plan is very clearly that the nuttier, more fascist types in the current Tory Party join 30p Lee in Reform.

Whether that drives the Tories back to One Nation centre-right people and policies or just adds them to this frankly dangerous lurch to the far right would then be up for debate, and would hinge largely on who still had a seat at Westminster.

Let's be clear, though, Reform will probably only win one seat so 'successful' is going to be pushing it a bit. We could see the Greens with two or three.
One seat = one question time season ticket

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Should Labour voters in Clacton vote Tory to stop Farage? Seems it's the only way it could happen.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Watching the BBC debate - they drew lots to see where they would all stand, ironically as you look at them Farage is on the far left.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's good to see true equality as Mordaunt and Rayner show they can talk over each other just as much as the men did previously.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

A parallel of sorts!
Well, quite. It really doesn't matter to me. He attended that event and showed respect. But the 'national anthem' is nothing but a homage to overlords. Incredible that down the centuries the poor and downtrodden have been forced to sing it. Quite sickening when you think deeper into it. No problem with a person who objects. I don't have a problem with it myself as my mind fuses it in to a thing of national unity. But I get and respect those who do.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The debate, so far at least, seems to be so much more professional and credible than ITV's effort.

One might think that with 7 representatives, it's far less confrontational than a duel.

There's still the opportunity for robust debate, especially over immigration now, but it's a lot more measured generally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here