Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] General Election 2024 - 4th July

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Neither were going to win anyway - so a painless exercise for Sunak really.
We don’t know they aren’t being sacrificed for appearances and candidates with a prospect of victory being protected until after the election. I truly don’t believe a word or an honest motive behind any of this government’s words or actions.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If I was Craig Williams, I'd be royally pissed off about this.

It's bad enough that he had the good fortune to correctly guess the exact date of the election and manage to get a £100 bet on 3 days before it was officially announced, only for the bookies to welch. And now he's had Party support withdrawn from his re-election campaign.

If I were him, I'd tell Rishi he can find another Parliamentary Private Secretary :rant:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Neither were going to win anyway - so a painless exercise for Sunak really.
But what I think speaks volumes about the judgement of him and his hangers-on is that it's no less winnable now than it was a week or two ago, so why take this long?

Starmer's Labour has been pretty ruthless around expunging problematic members within their own ranks, but at least once happened it's done and the news moves on.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The "withdrawal of support" is an interesting one. He's not kicking them out then?
TBF, its like they have been suspended and will be kicked out if found GUILTY.

But yes, is this all smoke and mirrors?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting mix of views from Chichester

It is interesting that the kids are big Reform fans. There does seem to be a trend with young people, particularly young males, tending towards the right / hard/alt right…

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It is interesting that the kids are big Reform fans. There does seem to be a trend with young people, particularly young males, tending towards the right / hard/alt right…
I may be wrong but the Brexit nonsense showed that if you tell folk that voting a certain way makes you thick, then they MAY just vote for it.

borat

Jul 16, 2003

Noticed that trend on social media in the US as well. Not looked into the data to see if significant.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting mix of views from Chichester

I wouldn't say that Sussex is a cornerstone, a lot of the seats have gone the other way at times here. But Chichester will be interesting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It happened in the 70s with the National Front.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Apart from one Labour flyer and two letters from The Conservative Party MP Karen Bradley (likely to lose to Labour due to Reform?) absolutely nothing no public meetings, knocking on the door or even meeting any canvassers on the High Street, have you found the same ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Flyers from Labour (x2), Reform, Independent and Green - nothing from the Tories. No door knocks from anyone either which is annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here