Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Pride

Well. Thirty years ago, it wasn't uncommon for people to get beaten up or attacked if they showed any outward sign of being gay, or at the very least subjected to verbal abuse or discrimination. I'm guessing that at least part of the reason for Pride festivals was for the community to say "hey, we're here, there's plenty of us, so deal with it".

In the main, that doesn't happen now, at least not in the UK, and particularly not in Brighton of all cities, but that has to be something to do with the increased visibility of people within the gay community. The fact that people, many years ago, were prepared to stand up in the face of considerable hostility and march or whatever, must have something to do with that change in attitudes. But all the time that an individual has to think seriously about (for example) coming out to work colleagues, or booking a double hotel room with their lifelong partner, it suggests there are still enough people around who do have issues with it, and therefore Pride is still relevant.

In short, I suspect that if there had never been any Pride marches, gay people would still be in the place they were years ago.
I lived in the "theatrical" part of Kemptown in the days when "homosexual acts between consenting adults" (as they were coyly described) were still illegal. The folk who drank in the local pubs (and mixed with the rest of us, without grief) fought a difficult battle to change the law. As far as I am concerned, they can celebrate that victory for as long as they want.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Well. Thirty years ago, it wasn't uncommon for people to get beaten up or attacked if they showed any outward sign of being gay, or at the very least subjected to verbal abuse or discrimination. I'm guessing that at least part of the reason for Pride festivals was for the community to say "hey, we're here, there's plenty of us, so deal with it".

In the main, that doesn't happen now, at least not in the UK, and particularly not in Brighton of all cities, but that has to be something to do with the increased visibility of people within the gay community. The fact that people, many years ago, were prepared to stand up in the face of considerable hostility and march or whatever, must have something to do with that change in attitudes. But all the time that an individual has to think seriously about (for example) coming out to work colleagues, or booking a double hotel room with their lifelong partner, it suggests there are still enough people around who do have issues with it, and therefore Pride is still relevant.

In short, I suspect that if there had never been any Pride marches, gay people would still be in the place they were years ago.

Ok, see the point.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Don't mind pride at all, but when the dust settles and you're finding used condoms and syringes in preston park playground sand pits, then it tends to put a new perspective on things. Im pretty tolerant of this but seriously guys, you should see some of the shite we have to deal with after every one has gone home.

It's billed as a family event yet some of the stalls have vibrators, anal lubrication and god knows what....in full view of all...including kids.

Some of you should seriously open your mind to what really goes on behind the scenes at this event.

Agree but thats being addressed with the ticketing for the park and i believe over 18s now.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
A straight march would be extremism? Criticism of a gay march is extremism? - These sentiments are extremist.

And grouping people in terms of their football team is not exactly the same as grouping people in terms which they have no control over, their sexuality, their gender or their race.

But even in this forum, you can see a celebration of that which enjoins us. And within that, whether we like it or not, we can also see a fermenting resentment for those who do not. Some people are "the scum" others are not "really" like "us" because they are "JCLs" etc.

But, in footballing, none of us are enjoined without choice.

When it comes to your sexuality, race or gender, you have no choice. While we continue to group people, you are grouped whether you like it or not.

I have no doubt that Gay Pride will be an enjoyable event for all who take part. But it also perpetuates a group mentality, and in so doing, it perpetuates prejudice.

Don't think for a second that I do not like or respect homosexual people, I want to see equality for all, I want to see people considered individuals and not members of groups, whatever their sexuality, gender or race. This event will do nothing to further that ideal.

Where did I say a "straight march" would be extremist by definition? What I DID say was that those who had posed the same question as you have in the past on here have had - without exception - an underlying extremist/prejudiced agenda. I didn't say that the same mindset was your motivation to pose the question, so please don't try to demean me by accusing me of such.

To be fair, it sounds to me like we're both people who do seek to both understand and respect individuals & their plethora of idiosyncrasies, but seemingly where we differ is in our view of the value of groups celebrating that which they have in common; the roots of human prejudice; & the way(s) we can encourage unity & look to eradicate bigotry.

With this in mind, perhaps we should just accept & respect that our thoughts on the subject come from our own unique experiences, so agreeing to disagree in this instance might well be the best option? If we don't, I can see us arguing the point until we're older & grayer than we already are. Frankly, I have a life to live - starting with a match to attend later today - & I'm sure you have too.

UTA.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Errr is it? Well you had better tell me, my mates, every straight person on this board that goes and all the thousands of other heterosexuals that attend each year. Is Notting hill carnival only for blacks too?

I go but I am open to persuasion on the gay bit I suppose just because I haven't been persuaded yet doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying...I would also like to fit in at Nottingham hill...should I go for the full boot polish face and the comedy Afro wig...I could also draw big white lips on my face, wear a little bowler hat covered in sequins and white gloves

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pride in Manchester is MASSIV.

Everyone should be able to show affection in public but take responsibility for their behaviour though. I went to a meal at Gingerbread and two very attractive lesbians were firky-foodling and I had no problem with it. Not sure how I would feel if a 'tached man in leather chaps decided to give his partner a Satan's Breakfast whilst I was having an orange Fanta and scones in the Preston Park tea room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here