Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Footballers...Appreciated or Unwelcome?

theacademic

Jun 14, 2010
I have a project ongoing that I hope you might be able to spend a couple of minutes completing. I am carrying out an anonymous survey on fans' views towards gay football players. This is in response to the Premier League dropping a campaign on this issue and Max Clifford claiming that 'football is steeped in homophobia'. We want to assess how fans feel about this. Our pilot data was published in The Observer on Sunday and discussed again on The Nolan show on Radio 5Live on Sunday evening and BBC Radio Leeds and Stoke this week. The address is: GAY FOOTBALLERS ... APPRECIATED OR UNWELCOME? and the site is being managed by Staffordshire University.

I hope you think it is a valuable study and I hope you can help me gain some positive responses.

GAY FOOTBALLERS ... APPRECIATED OR UNWELCOME?

Dr. Jamie Cleland
University of Staffordshire

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Who funds these 'projects', and what purpose would this particular one serve?

theacademic

Jun 14, 2010
we are funding this ourselves and it is an opportunity for fans to have a say on this matter. As I said in my original post, the pilot research gained national exposure so this full survey should do the same. Hope you can complete an anonymous questionnaire for me.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
we are funding this ourselves and it is an opportunity for fans to have a say on this matter. As I said in my original post, the pilot research gained national exposure so this full survey should do the same. Hope you can complete an anonymous questionnaire for me.

I don't particulary have a view on the matter, except to say I think it's a total waste of everyone's time.

15% think this, 20% think that, so what?

I'd rather you tried to find a cure for cancer.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Have to say, I agree with Mr Peanut Roaster, what are the possible practical uses of this.

So, at some point you announce your findings, how will that affect anything for anyone. Pure reasearch has its place, particularly in science, we wouldn't progress very far if it didn't, but this seams about as useful as a paper on whether buttered toast falls one way up or the other.

And exactly how do you fund yourselves ? I don't understand that bit, unless you have a job in the real world that is paying for it.

If all that sounds negative, we are living in a world where all expenditure has to be accountable, and I have yet to be convinced about this.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't particulary have a view on the matter, except to say I think it's a total waste of everyone's time.

15% think this, 20% think that, so what?

I'd rather you tried to find a cure for cancer.

Yeah but they might be able to cure benderism as well if you do the questionaire Peanut.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Three questions, why this board and why have this utterly pointless survey anyway ? Are you some sort of fundamentalist religion bigot who has an issue about what people do in their own spare time or something ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Three questions, why this board and why have this utterly pointless survey anyway ? Are you some sort of fundamentalist religion bigot who has an issue about what people do in their own spare time or something ?

Jamie approached me by email (some time ago as it happens, but I only caught up last night) and I said I'd have no problem with him posting on NSC to ask for people to help out.

I did so, because...

a) Jamie was polite enough to ask before posting - most people aren't.
b) I clicked through to the survey and there was nothing too contentious or liable to cause upset to NSC's great and good.
c) For obvious reasons, our club and our fans might have stronger views about homophobia in and around the beautiful game.

If people weren't interested, I expected the post just to drift down and disappear from view. I didn't expect such unfriendly retorts, which I think is all a bit unfortunate.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Jamie approached me by email (some time ago as it happens, but I only caught up last night) and I said I'd have no problem with him posting on NSC to ask for people to help out.

I did so, because...

b) I clicked through to the survey and there was nothing too contentious or liable to cause upset to NSC's great and good.
c) For obvious reasons, our club and our fans might have stronger views about homophobia in and around the beautiful game.

If people weren't interested, I expected the post just to drift down and disappear from view. I didn't expect such unfriendly retorts, which I think is all a bit unfortunate.

I have no problem him posting it on here, and it was very polite of him to ask - but I stick by my points until I'm convinved otherwise, which he's welcome to do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I did so, because...

Well, I'm not hostile to it. I think it's a worthwhile idea. I did fill in the survey.

I think professional sport is one of the few places left where homophobia persists (in fact, I'm pushed to think of many other places - the armed forces maybe). Gays can come out in politics, business, the arts and the media but not sport.

Personally, I think that there would be fewer objections than people think - I reckon most fans couldn't give a shit

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They're not *that* unfriendly at all. It's just that most people find this a bit pointless, and I have to say I agree with them.

Appreciated or unwelcome? Colour me totally indifferent to a player's sexuality.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If it helped prevent an unnecessary suicide such as that of Justin Fashanu, then surely it is worthwhile.
I suspect the attitude of his own brother might have had a good deal more to do with his suicicide than those of football supporters at large in what is still a fairly tolerant country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here