Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gattuso

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This - shouldn't be allowed to kick a professional football ever again.

Really? it's bad but it's not that bad. It's not punching someone, elbowing someone or trying to injure someone

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
got to be more than 3 matches. I'd be interested to see if the ref gets any kind of punishment too. How he didn't give that prick a red is absolutely beyond me...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
All in glorious technicolour...

but im confused... i thought such challenges only existed in the English leauge, with english players ???

Gattuso? put in a room for half hour with Joe Jordan and let the matter be settled their way.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The way the ref walked over to Flamini indicated it was going to be red, Reckon he bottled it like he bottled giving us a pen in the first minute.

Saying that he did well on the push in the last minute......

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe I'm going soft in my old age, but all this fuss over Gattuso seems a little OTT to me.

Sure, he went a bit mad, but it was only at Joe Jordan, FFS. I think it was quite funny to watch, as opposed to a grotesque stain on the reputation of the game or whatever the papers are trying to sell it as. It's not like he did it to the match officials, he just got in the face of a burly old Scotsman who's been around the block a few times. Jordan's seen worse than that any night he's ever been out for a drink in Glasgow.

I can't see it warrants a ten game ban. I would assume it would be three, as that's what he'd have got if the referee had sent him off for it at the time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe I'm going soft in my old age, but all this fuss over Gattuso seems a little OTT to me.

Sure, he went a bit mad, but it was only at Joe Jordan, FFS. I think it was quite funny to watch, as opposed to a grotesque stain on the reputation of the game or whatever the papers are trying to sell it as. It's not like he did it to the match officials, he just got in the face of a burly old Scotsman who's been around the block a few times. Jordan's seen worse than that any night he's ever been out for a drink in Glasgow.

I can't see it warrants a ten game ban. I would assume it would be three, as that's what he'd have got if the referee had sent him off for it at the time.

I agree, All I care about is that he picked up a second Yellow and will miss the game at WHL. I do however want Flamini punished.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The way the ref walked over to Flamini indicated it was going to be red, Reckon he bottled it like he bottled giving us a pen in the first minute.

Saying that he did well on the push in the last minute......

Not sure it was a pen in the first minute myself. But yes, to disallow the equaliser took some bottle so fair play to him.

True. But should head butting a coach get more of a ban than headbutting a player?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree, All I care about is that he picked up a second Yellow and will miss the game at WHL. I do however want Flamini punished.

You're going to be sadly disappointed then...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not sure it was a pen in the first minute myself. But yes, to disallow the equaliser took some bottle so fair play to him

Wasnt sure at first, but after second showing it was in my view as he knew what he was doing, but as I said it took 2 viewings for me to come to that and I cant really have a go at the ref for that, he wasnt going to give a 50-50 call to the away team.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Wasnt sure at first, but after second showing it was in my view as he knew what he was doing, but as I said it took 2 viewings for me to come to that and I cant really have a go at the ref for that, he wasnt going to give a 50-50 call to the away team.

Think it was some clever play by the defender. Making sure his arms were planted firmly by his sides and not raised creates enough doubt in the refs mind over whether it was intentional or not

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

He was punished - he got a yellow card. AS other people have pointed out, as the ref saw the incident and acted accordingly, there will be no further punishment.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Was gonna post much the same. Interesting that no-one has posted about Gattuso's apology. you wouldn't get close to an apology from many managers or players for losing it but he was very clear that he took full responsibility and that what he did was unforgivable. Also very funny when he said he wouldn't repeat what he said to Jordan but that "i spoke to him in scottish". Flamini's tackle was a disgrace and he equally went into the dressing room and apologised personally to Corluka. it doesnt forgive what either of them did and both should serve a ban in my opinion, of how long better people than me can judge, but we can get a bit too hung up on this sort of stuff in my opinion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well it isn't an English club player that was involved in the bust up therefore you can say a 6 game ban (as we would get) and divide it by about three to work out his punishment.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Interesting views on this. Consider this. What would happen if as a journalist you were sitting at a press conference and someone said something you didn't like, you got up pushed them and then headbutted them, all recorded on telly?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was punished - he got a yellow card. AS other people have pointed out, as the ref saw the incident and acted accordingly, there will be no further punishment.

FIFA,EUFA, FA all maintain that if the ref saw an incident and took action like with Flamini that is the end of the matter but why? If it so obvious that the ref made a mistake and should have given a red card why shouldnt the authorites be able to take that action and achieve the correct result and action. Or are refs above reproach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here