Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gatting is a better Striker than Elder.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. Is it right that he's good enough at cricket to get into a County side?

People who know more about this than me tell the answer is no he isnt. He is a reasonable club cricketer but not county standard. Not as good as his dad at either sport.

As regards a striker for us I belive that he has more ability than Elder but is so immobile that his talent is wasted, and unless this improves he will not make the grade as a pro footballer.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Are You Some Kind Of Imbecile? Elder Is The Best Prospect We've Had At This Club Since Peter Ward. It Makes Me Sick How He Was Hounded Out. Gatting Is A Good Striker But Elder Was A Touch Of Real Class That Does Not Come Around Every Day. Just Look How He Single Handedly Demolished A Handy Mansfield Side On Saturday.

Apparently he is Elders mum....bless her:lolol:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I never really rated Elder. If you give him a simple chance, Gatting is likely to take it whereas Elder has missed a number of sitters in his time at the club. With Dixon out for a while, we may get to see what Gatting really has to offer.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
I too would like to see Gatting get a chance in the first team. I think he could have something to offer and get himself a few goals.

Time will tell.

The tall one

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks for all your replies received thus far. Most of them were constructive, but some of there were some out of order comments Mr Mars Bar or Arse Bar what ever your name is. :p

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
when gatting had a few games at this level last season after christmas, he got a few goals and looked like he had something to offer. elder has just looked very disapointing at this level whenever he has started

the trouble with gatting is that he was chucked in too early - we were a desparate side, with a desparate manager, and i think being thrown into a championship relegation fight when he wasnt ready has done his career no favours at all. his confidence went, and the majority of people i think based their opinions on him on the long run he got in the team in the championship

at this level, he could be a decent player. although his loan spell at woking has done nothing to suggest he can. the only way we will find out is if he gets a run in the team
thnk thats spot on scotty twice in a day i have agreed with you

gatting got 6 gals (i think ) last season which wasnt a bad return for a 1st year pro that didnt start many games?

im not his biggest fan and his loan spell didnt do him many favours but howmany people didnt rate henderson when we had him? including coppell as he sold him pretty soon after he left for reading ! but has he has matured he had turned into a bit of a decent championship target man and m not totally giving up on joe just yet

mars bar u are such a dickhead ,dont be a pratt all ur life have a day off

To be fair, all he has done is voice an (outlandish) opinion on topic on this thread. Some may think that you wanting Wes Fogden to be given a run in the team is also outlandish but that's no reason to call you a dickhead is it? It's your opinion.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
People who know more about this than me tell the answer is no he isnt. He is a reasonable club cricketer but not county standard. Not as good as his dad at either sport.

I don't know about that. He's represented Sussex at every youth level from U13 to U19, played for the Sussex Academy side, the Sussex 2nd XI and England U15s, so he's clearly got some ability. Twenty is very young for a cricketer, especially a batsman. Most first class players don't even start to establish themselves as a fixture in a county side until they're around 22-24 unless they're truly exceptional.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Savage And Elder Upfront Would Have Stormed This Division As Well As The Championship. If The Management Had Any Clue They Could Have Saved The Wages Of The Over-rated Forster And The 300k On Murray. They Have Shot Themselves In The Foot. Idiots.

Go back to Palarse now there's a good boy :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't know about that. He's represented Sussex at every youth level from U13 to U19, played for the Sussex Academy side, the Sussex 2nd XI and England U15s, so he's clearly got some ability. Twenty is very young for a cricketer, especially a batsman. Most first class players don't even start to establish themselves as a fixture in a county side until they're around 22-24 unless they're truly exceptional.
I'm not sure of the exact details but I think Joe scored 200 for Nomads 1st XI in a County League game when he was 16 including about 10 sixes - not bad...

The truth is we'll never know what would have happened had he chosen cricket over football 3 years ago - he was part of the county Academy's first intake in 2001 and highly rated within a group that has produced 3 professionals in Hodd, Thornely and Rayner...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Denis Foreman played for us and Sussex as did Don Bates and Steve Burtenshaw but times have changed and the 2 sports tend to overlap each other now so the liklehood of anybody following the long list of cricketers/footballers is unlikely. The most famous must be the Compton brothers who played for Middlesex and Denis as an old inside forward and Les as a centre half in the early 50s for Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here