Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Megson perfect for Sheff Wed!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
(If I was the Birmingham manager I would tape this to the wall in the dressing room)

GARY MEGSON admits he is taking Sheffield Wednesday into a David and Goliath FA Cup fifth round clash at Birmingham tomorrow – but says they are the Goliaths!

The Owls may be languishing in the wrong half of the League One table, perched just five points above the drop zone, but new Hillsborough boss Megson reckons they are a bigger club than the Blues.

The former Bolton chief, Sheffield-born and a lifelong Wednesday fan, has seen his new team stumble to two damaging league defeats since succeeding Alan Irvine.

But he stressed: “Don’t get me wrong, Birmingham are a good side with quality players all the way through.

“There is huge expectation on us though – this is a massive club. Being in League One isn’t acceptable.”
(What a dick!)

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
(If I was the Birmingham manager I would tape this to the wall in the dressing room)

GARY MEGSON admits he is taking Sheffield Wednesday into a David and Goliath FA Cup fifth round clash at Birmingham tomorrow – but says they are the Goliaths!

The Owls may be languishing in the wrong half of the League One table, perched just five points above the drop zone, but new Hillsborough boss Megson reckons they are a bigger club than the Blues.

The former Bolton chief, Sheffield-born and a lifelong Wednesday fan, has seen his new team stumble to two damaging league defeats since succeeding Alan Irvine.

But he stressed: “Don’t get me wrong, Birmingham are a good side with quality players all the way through.

“There is huge expectation on us though – this is a massive club. Being in League One isn’t acceptable.”
(What a dick!)

He's doing his best to get out of League 1 though. Just think how MASSIVE they'll be in League 2 :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That club needs a complete overhaul of players, until that happens they will remain yesterdays men.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

Has he actually said that or is that small bit at bottom the only actual quote? Creative journalism?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's right of course. Although he's a bit daft saying it! Wednesday are MILES bigger than Birmingham, which would make it even funnier if they got relegated.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

(What a dick!)

Not actually sure what he's said that it actually wrong?!? Wednesday are an enormous club and for a club of that size the only acceptable place for them to be is the top flight and not scrabbling about in the lower reaches of the third division.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Not actually sure what he's said that it actually wrong?!? Wednesday are an enormous club and for a club of that size the only acceptable place for them to be is the top flight and not scrabbling about in the lower reaches of the third division.

They are but he's new to L1 and he needs to learn quickly that you should stop going on about how big a club you are. All that does is motivate the other clubs to beat you and it ends up being their cup final against you every week, Leeds found this out and to some extent so are SCC.

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
They are but he's new to L1 and he needs to learn quickly that you should stop going on about how big a club you are. All that does is motivate the other clubs to beat you and it ends up being their cup final against you every week, Leeds found this out and to some extent so are SCC.

This.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

What a load of cobblers. So if Megson hadn't said anything people would have gone "oh we've got Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.......hmmmmmm I think I've heard of them, it's just slightly north of Walsall isn't it??". Teams in this division know exactly how big teams like Wednesday are and playing them is already a cup final for allot of teams with or without Megson's intervention.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't realise megson was a wednesday fan. Quite coincidental both sheffields have fans in charge and they are both struggling.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The first thing that Megson has done wrong here is to forget that tabloid press staff are muckraking sensationalists with a scant regard for accuracy, ethics and underlying truths. The second thing he's done wrong is to forget that some people, even intelligent people, believe them.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Wednesday are a big club but are they a good club? have they been well run over the last few decades? are their fans living in the real world predicting they will reach 100 points at the beginning of the season, League One is tough and if you don't get out immediately after being relegated a la Norwich and Leicester, it is easy to get quagmired in this division a la Leeds, Forest and Charlton. Has Megson been misquoted or have his words been mis-interpreted? maybe but he is a highly experienced manager and really should be playing up the underdog aspect of L1 versus premiership. Wednesday need to write this season off and start planning for next season, quietly and efficiently and stop ramming the fact that they are a big club down the throats of other so called smaller clubs.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Megson better learn that he had a squad which was good enough prior to his arrival. He might have managed in the premiership but that cuts no muster in the hustle & bustle of L1. If your good enough, you go up, simple.

Big Club does not mean promotion.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

(What a dick!)

And I'm sure that Pulis will do the same with Tommy Elphick's comments about passing Stoke off the pitch. I thought it was the league 1 teams that were supposed to be underdogs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this
very well thought out mate

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How are people defining 'big club'? I'm not saying they aren't, I just find it to generally be a cliche trotted out without any sense of thought behind it, often bravado, hyperbole, or downright ego/arrogance. Is it something that once you earn the tag you can't lose it? (i.e. Previous success decades ago override the last 10 years of dwindling fortunes, falling through the leagues, declining gates etc)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here