Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Megson perfect for Sheff Wed!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's right of course. Although he's a bit daft saying it! Wednesday are MILES bigger than Birmingham, which would make it even funnier if they got relegated.

Exactly my thoughts - He's def right. But being a 'big club' with history has no bearing on Saturdays match does it - it's their current 11 vs a Brum 11 and Brum are the better team! Does seem odd he'd say this...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Wednesday aren't an 'enormous' club. MAnchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, those are enormous clubs. Sheffield Wednedsday are a possibly towards the higher end of middle sized club.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
How are people defining 'big club'? I'm not saying they aren't, I just find it to generally be a cliche trotted out without any sense of thought behind it, often bravado, hyperbole, or downright ego/arrogance. Is it something that once you earn the tag you can't lose it? (i.e. Previous success decades ago override the last 10 years of dwindling fortunes, falling through the leagues, declining gates etc)

If we all could be bothered to set out clubs in order of size - I doubt there would be massive differences. A system of measurement is futile. If you know your football you have a fairly clear idea what size clubs are. If any of that makes sense.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Are Sheff Wed a big club though?

Are we mistaking big club with big ground?

Hillsborough is a massive historical ground in this country used for cup semi-finals etc but how often have Sheff Weds been in the top flight?

Sheff Weds = Big Ground Club not Sheff Weds = Big Club

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Can't see Megson lasting long at Sheffield Wednesday anyway with 'Mad Mandy' as Chairman.

It's a big club but not a good club and having that bumpkin in the boardroom ain't going to change that any time soon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Are Sheff Wed a big club though?Yes

Are we mistaking big club with big ground? No, although their ground is undoubtedly too big for them as they are now.

Hillsborough is a massive historical ground in this country used for cup semi-finals etc but how often have Sheff Weds been in the top flight?Many many years. They've won 4 titles, got to the league cup final twice (winning once) in the '90s, FA CUp finalists in 1992 having won in 3 times, played in Europe etc.

Sheff Weds = Big Ground Club not Sheff Weds = Big Club Undoubtedly one of the top 15 clubs in the country.
However, next season we might well have a higher average gate than them. They're a club in poor health and have been overtaken in size and stature by their city rivals in the last ten years. I must admit, it's good to see as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
However, next season we might well have a higher average gate than them. They're a club in poor health and have been overtaken in size and stature by their city rivals in the last ten years. I must admit, it's good to see as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:

You are all heart Simster :lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really don't like Sheffield Wednesday. Every fan of theirs I've ever met has been an absolute tosspot (and I met many at university).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How are people defining 'big club'? I'm not saying they aren't, I just find it to generally be a cliche trotted out without any sense of thought behind it, often bravado, hyperbole, or downright ego/arrogance. Is it something that once you earn the tag you can't lose it? (i.e. Previous success decades ago override the last 10 years of dwindling fortunes, falling through the leagues, declining gates etc)

Well we're a big club and we were down to crowds of 5k not long ago, but we have been in Cup Finals and played at the top level :jester:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

The definition of a big club is very much up for debate. However there are berks on this board who would class us as a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday which quite blatantly we are not.

If we were scrubbing about at the bottom half of the third division we'd be getting 4k a week they are getting 17k. If they were up the top like us they'd be getting 25k. We'll struggle to sell 17k season tickets next season and it's looking likely we'll be in a higher division and at a brand spanking new ground.

The definition of a big club is very much up for debate. However there are berks on this board who would class us as a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday which quite blatantly we are not.

If we were scrubbing about at the bottom half of the third division we'd be getting 4k a week they are getting 17k. If they were up the top like us they'd be getting 25k. We'll struggle to sell 17k season tickets next season and it's looking likely we'll be in a higher division and at a brand spanking new ground.

All agreed but I reckon Sheff Weds are about as big as Birmingham to be honest. Definitely not as big as Villa, I'd put them at the same level as Forest, Norwich, Leicester, slightly smaller than Leeds. Just my perception though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here